The University of Sydney Open Day - 25 August (1 Viewer)

Aysce

HSC
Loved the mathematics and statistics session - was very interesting despite not being able to comprehend most of the notation lol.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah it was really good, I went to the lectures on Science, Maths, Physics and that Dr Karl one, they were all very interesting. Cleared up a lot of problems I had.

Looks like USYD is back to first preference again. :)

MiseryParade

HSC
Fairy floss! Sausages! Ice cream! :D

I went to the law, medical science, combined medicine and scholarship lectures, and they were all very informative and nice. This just solidifies my decision to study law there. :)

The place is huge though, and some of the engineering buildings look more fit to serve as a prison. ;w;

starshine02

HSC
I went to medical science, psychology, medicine, exercise physiology + nutrition + exercise science and speech pathology. They were all pretty informative but I guess some of the stuff you can sort of find online anyways. The museums were really interesting but I personally thought the tour was a bit boring. I also got that free health check thing from the nurses and it was...slightly disappointing (low blood pressure dafaq?) I didn't like any of the food available so I had to eat off campus. But overall I really liked the atmosphere there (and also because it's quite pretty) and the student life seemed really diverse.

Memento-mori

HSC
I went to the university open day for Notre Dame, UTS and Sydney University and out of those three, Sydney University was definately the worst. The food was incredibly pricey, there wasn't enough student ambassadors, things that sound awesome turned out to be completely lame such as that paint throwing thing and Chocolate Appreciation Society. The Sydney University representatives were rude and when I asked a question about directions, they answered it incorrectly. UTS and Notre Dame actually had students walking around who were very happy to answer any questions I had, and there open days had better catering. I got the impression that Sydney University didn't care about the opening day. Also, I know this isn't Usyd's fault, but the open day attracted the type of people that I wouldn't want to be around. Obnoxious north shore people who whine and whinge all the time, rude people, etc. They may exist at every university, but there were so many of them I had a horrible experience. I did however get a laugh when I read the undergraduate booklet. ''University made me an independent thinker.'' No need to explain why that's hilarious. Looking forward to UNSW next week.

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to the university open day for Notre Dame, UTS and Sydney University and out of those three, Sydney University was definately the worst. The food was incredibly pricey, there wasn't enough student ambassadors, things that sound awesome turned out to be completely lame such as that paint throwing thing and Chocolate Appreciation Society. The Sydney University representatives were rude and when I asked a question about directions, they answered it incorrectly. UTS and Notre Dame actually had students walking around who were very happy to answer any questions I had, and there open days had better catering. I got the impression that Sydney University didn't care about the opening day. Also, I know this isn't Usyd's fault, but the open day attracted the type of people that I wouldn't want to be around. Obnoxious north shore people who whine and whinge all the time, rude people, etc. They may exist at every university, but there were so many of them I had a horrible experience. I did however get a laugh when I read the undergraduate booklet. ''University made me an independent thinker.'' No need to explain why that's hilarious. Looking forward to UNSW next week.
I'm hoping your experience at UNSW will be better.

planino

HSC
Damn, I missed out on a lot :(

Just the one thing that worries me about USYD, are much of the buildings old (law definitely isn't)? What do the science buildings look like?
I seriously hope the equipment + stuff is quite up-to-date + high tech.

Glad to hear the great pharmacy reviews :D

Alkanes

HSC
Was wonderful today. Met with some of the students and staffs and they were just great. And omg I love the usyd law building. Hope UNSW open day will be even better :p

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
1. Definitely.
2. ChocSoc is the fucking best. Pancakes + nutella every two weeks.
3. Their.
4. Maybe USyd isn't for you… but I assure you that not *everyone* there is from the North Shore, and most of the people that are aren't actually that bad.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

Just the one thing that worries me about USYD, are much of the buildings old (law definitely isn't)? What do the science buildings look like?

Glad to hear the great pharmacy reviews :D
Not really. And the ones that are old have equipment that's pretty up-to-date.

Just go there randomly and take your own tour one day. Haha

Alkanes

HSC
Mate the point was today was to go and look around the uni, not go on a holiday vacation. And I don't know where you were, but students ambassadors were literally all over the place.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Mate the point was today was to go and look around the uni, not go on a holiday vacation. And I don't know where you were, but students ambassadors were literally all over the place.
(Also, food is spenno at every uni)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Will be heavily considering USyd after today. The lecture theatres were so cosy and nice.

pt1

HSC
I found USYD to be quite inaccessible as it was widely spread out and the stalls were like pretty well hidden. I managed to find the one upstairs at quadrangle and the sciences and engineering rooms. I didn't get to attend any lecturers as they were packed to the bone like the commerce and psychology one rofl - people sitting on the floor and stuff

Overall looking around the buildings were pretty cool, I thought the pharmacy buliding looked like a chapel at first glanced haha

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
Overall it was a pretty good first time experience (first time attending an open day at any uni). The ambassadors immediately noticed me when I had no clue where to go and answered my question.
Lecturers tried to be funny, but we all know that's with all lecturers. Especially the maths lecture: Who would've known that you can calculate whether or not a couple could last 6 months using mathematics and the Mathematics is sexy book. o_O WTF?
Psychology was heaps packed, but also I've noticed that when the lecturer told us about the ATAR score (97) people started leaving :D
Medical Science was alright
Biomedical Engineering was good too. Talked about the different combinations of biomed, combined degrees etc etc.
Overall, Sydney University's experience was the best. Now its UNSW next...competition.

Last edited:

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
4. Maybe USyd isn't for you… but I assure you that not *everyone* there is from the North Shore, and most of the people that are aren't actually that bad.
I'm pretty nice. And I complain/whinge way less than you and you're a westie :eek: haha

USyd4lyf

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
Overall it was a pretty good first time experience (first time attending an open day at any uni). The ambassadors immediately noticed me when I had no clue where to go and answered my question.
Lecturers tried to be funny, but we all know that's with all lecturers. Especially the maths lecture: Who would've known that you can calculate whether or not a couple could last 6 months using mathematics and the Mathematics is sexy book. o_O WTF?
Psychology was heaps packed, but also I've noticed that when the lecturer told us about the ATAR score (97) people started leaving :D
Medical Science was alright
Biomedical Engineering was good too. Talked about the different combinations of biomed, combined degrees etc etc.
Overall, Sydney University's experience was the best. Now its UNSW next...competition.
That's for a Bachelor of Psychology. You can still get a psych major in an Arts or Science degree, both of which have a much lower ATAR.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

I'm a UNSW student and I know that Sydney has excellent faculties. You don't need to worry about anything being out of date. The architecture is there just to give the university a better atmosphere and for bragging rights. Also so really really annoying and terrible human beings can joke about going to Hogwarts.

(Also, food is spenno at every uni)
this

DefiningTheta

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a UNSW student and I know that Sydney has excellent faculties. You don't need to worry about anything being out of date. The architecture is there just to give the university a better atmosphere and for bragging rights. Also so really really annoying and terrible human beings can joke about going to Hogwarts.
I think I heard the Harry Potter theme song in the background, did anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)