The University of Sydney Open Day - 25 August (1 Viewer)

addoil

HSC
I only went to USYD today so I can't compare whether it was good or bad, but:

- Performances were sort of boring... lol'd at the Kendo demonstration
- Legs hurt like crazy (and still do)
- Student ambassadors were pretty kind and helpful actually
- Those shiftable lecture tables (in their desk position) are too far away so you have to lean forward whenever you write
- Poor pharmacy building is so old (you'd understand if you went inside the lecture theatres)
- Where are the ACTUAL food facilities btw? I migrated from the Quad to Eng Preccint and the only food I found was a small cafe, dodgy-expensive hot dogs and a subway store which I didn't actually 'find'.. just saw a poster that said '25m' (had to read it twice because I thought it meant a 25m-long subway at first lmao) -- thank goodness the Eng guys had free food.. was STARVING

Lol I'll stop sounding like a whiny kid now but yeah that was my experience! ^^

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I only went to USYD today so I can't compare whether it was good or bad, but:

- Performances were sort of boring... lol'd at the Kendo demonstration
- Legs hurt like crazy (and still do)
- Student ambassadors were pretty kind and helpful actually
- Those shiftable lecture tables (in their desk position) are too far away so you have to lean forward whenever you write
- Poor pharmacy building is so old (you'd understand if you went inside the lecture theatres)
- Where are the ACTUAL food facilities btw? I migrated from the Quad to Eng Preccint and the only food I found was a small cafe, dodgy-expensive hot dogs and a subway store which I didn't actually 'find'.. just saw a poster that said '25m' (had to read it twice because I thought it meant a 25m-long subway at first lmao) -- thank goodness the Eng guys had free food.. was STARVING

There are loads of food outlets in the Wentworth Building. Aside from that, there are cafes sprinkled around the uni.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you TINY?

This is what a bunch of you sound like.

Yay.

But, you have to grow up at some point. :(

But legit. UNSW is the first Uni I went to as like a proper considering-going-there thing, and then I was like "this is shit" and went to USyd and thought it was better. So that will probs happen in reverse this year for you guys.

jet

Banned
HSC
Are you TINY?

This is what a bunch of you sound like.

Yay.

But, you have to grow up at some point. :(

But legit. UNSW is the first Uni I went to as like a proper considering-going-there thing, and then I was like "this is shit" and went to USyd and thought it was better. So that will probs happen in reverse this year for you guys.
If it was Footbridge, then I agree. They're attached to the seat in front and they're too far forward.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If it was Footbridge, then I agree. They're attached to the seat in front and they're too far forward.
Never been to footbridge.

Except for that one time I was open there spouting hate speech before musical.
That was fun.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I went to maffs, advanced science/tsp and dr karl.

The seats in the maths lecture were god-awful. I'm fairly average height and they were terribly uncomfortable. Also, I was sitting right behind Spiralflex and another BoSer who I think was nightweaver came and sat there too.

Walked past barbernator on the way to grab lunch and I saw someone who liked deswa, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't actually him. Did anyone else notice that a tonne of the sound from the bands (particularly the jazz band at 1pmish) was reflecting off the opposite building? Once I heard it that's all I could think about.

Got photos with dr karl. Coolest guy ever.

Went to UTS afterwards and basically left straight away because in comparison to USYD, it's fairly bland to say the least.

yay for disjointed recounts!

EDIT: just remembered, I walked past a bunch of people at redfern station who were from BoS (overheard them talking about it), but I didn't recognise them.

Last edited:

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

The seats in the maths lecture were god-awful. I'm fairly average height and they were terribly uncomfortable. Also, I was sitting right behind Spiralflex and another BoSer who I think was nightweaver came and sat there too.

Walked past barbernator on the way to grab lunch and I saw someone who liked deswa, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't actually him. Did anyone else notice that a tonne of the sound from the bands (particularly the jazz band at 1pmish) was reflecting off the opposite building? Once I heard it that's all I could think about.

Went to UTS afterwards and basically left straight away because in comparison to USYD, it's fairly bland to say the least.

EDIT: just remembered, I walked past a bunch of people at redfern station who were from BoS (overheard them talking about it), but I didn't recognise them.
I've been hearing similar comments regarding Dr Karl quite often. What is he doing right?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

yet you didn't say hi

So much aspie.

Memento-mori

HSC
I'm poor, I'm allowed to complain.

2. Did they give you chocolate? If so, shuddup, if not, you're mean anyways and don't deserve any.
3. Good luck with Uni with that attitude.
4. Lol, maybe go to the UWS open day instead.
2. I'm mean? lol, I'm realistic.
3. I just don't care about my minor mistakes with grammar on the internet.
4. *yawn* typical Usyd snobbery....

HSC
N/A
My friend dragged me to the general information seminar thingo, and it was pretty terrible.

Some chick (I think she was the union president or something) did nothing but read from a piece of paper and glanced up every few minutes. No slideshow. No engagement with an audience.

I felt kinda stupid just sitting there to have someone read to me. Perhaps i'm a little too critical.

izzy88

HSC
The Sydney University representatives were rude and when I asked a question about directions, they answered it incorrectly. UTS and Notre Dame actually had students walking around who were very happy to answer any questions I had, and there open days had better catering. I got the impression that Sydney University didn't care about the opening day.
Just the one thing that worries me about USYD, are much of the buildings old (law definitely isn't)? What do the science buildings look like?
I seriously hope the equipment + stuff is quite up-to-date + high tech.
The student ambassadors are volunteering their time - and USYD is that big, with that many buildings, that even after being there for 6 years, I still wouldn't necessarily know the location of every building. Its unfortunate you were given incorrect directions, but even current students have to check their timetables, and a map when semester starts to try to find particular locations. In particular, some faculties are associated with particular areas or buildings, so, for example, I'm pretty unfamiliar with engineering/commerce side of things.

Planino - the outside of the buildings may be old, but that doesn't mean the insides are! There are some very old lecture theatres, with pretty uncomfortable seats in particular areas, and if you are in an older building, there may not be powerpoints galore, however labs etc are kept up to date, as well as the libraries and other study areas. Eg. Fisher Library is getting completely internally renovated at the moment. Carslaw has had the bottom rooms converted for computer rooms. I think some of the engineering buildings/rooms are also getting renovated at the moment (well they were doing works on them during exams last semester in any case!). Science library was done only a couple of years ago (the weird greeny glass building over city road next to Wentworth).

There is always some kind of building project going on at uni. I quite like though that they don't just knock everything down and building shiny new buildings like law. There's a history to it :p

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
yet you didn't say hi

So much aspie.
m8.

I've been hearing similar comments regarding Dr Karl quite often. What is he doing right?
Everything. Not only does he know his stuff, but he's more than happy to share his vast knowledge with anyone and everyone, which he's incredibly good at doing. He's also absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:
HSC
Lols didn't get to meet any of you guys - not that I know what you look like.

Went to Arts Lang and maths (1.30-2pm one with dr cresswell - she's hilarious) and ran across campus from wallace to engineering twice because a friend was lost but she wanted free sausage sizzle ==

But might I say the Psych lecture was exactly the same as last year except with a different boring person. God damn.

Last edited:

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
2. I'm mean? lol, I'm realistic.
3. I just don't care about my minor mistakes with grammar on the internet.
4. *yawn* typical Usyd snobbery....
2. Well, ChocSoc is amazing and you're being really judgemental.
3. You should.
4. How is that USyd snobbery? You don't like the type of people at USyd (apparently north shore snobs) so I suggested you go to a university which contains the "opposite" sort of people. (I currently live 25 minutes walk from UWS Campbelltown so back up, guuurl.)

The student ambassadors are volunteering their time - and USYD is that big, with that many buildings, that even after being there for 6 years, I still wouldn't necessarily know the location of every building. Its unfortunate you were given incorrect directions, but even current students have to check their timetables, and a map when semester starts to try to find particular locations. In particular, some faculties are associated with particular areas or buildings, so, for example, I'm pretty unfamiliar with engineering/commerce side of things.

Planino - the outside of the buildings may be old, but that doesn't mean the insides are! There are some very old lecture theatres, with pretty uncomfortable seats in particular areas, and if you are in an older building, there may not be powerpoints galore, however labs etc are kept up to date, as well as the libraries and other study areas. Eg. Fisher Library is getting completely internally renovated at the moment. Carslaw has had the bottom rooms converted for computer rooms. I think some of the engineering buildings/rooms are also getting renovated at the moment (well they were doing works on them during exams last semester in any case!). Science library was done only a couple of years ago (the weird greeny glass building over city road next to Wentworth).

There is always some kind of building project going on at uni. I quite like though that they don't just knock everything down and building shiny new buildings like law. There's a history to it :p
I can personally say that the insides of PNR, chemical engineering and mechanical engineering are all very much up-to-date. And look really pretty ATM.
The PNR drawing office has about 30-40 desks with space for ~6 people on each with a massive touch screen computer, with and iPad to control laptop access and other nifty stuff.

But might I say the Psych lecture was exactly the same as last year except with a different boring person. God damn.
That's so weird because the psych lecturers are known for being batshit insane and interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)