The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

HSC
yoddle said:
Pardon the spamming, but I was wondering about Service Supervision training...

I was wondering if there was a proper, set way of training new front end supervisors? Cos I've done a few supervision shifts like weekend opens but have never been formally trained in anything, just from stuff i've picked up myself or what i've learnt from other supervisors. But i feel like I really don't know anything and am not confident on refunds, most of the SVR menu and like store policy shit.

Is there formal training you're supposed to receive that I'm not getting?
I'm in the exact same boat. My CSM quickly went through the supervisor menu with me one day, and that was it. I have a list of things that need to be done each morning before open (first open was yesterday). I just ask a lot of questions, I always seem to call a manager to okay things (such as refunds etc), but six weeks or so in, I seem to feel more confident.

Looks like I'm doing Aust Day on my own though :(.

HSC
townie said:
i know dumps arent complex in and of themselves, but the protocol for when they should and shouldnt be done and such is sometimes just a bit much for new supervisors i've found
So what is the protocol for when and how they should be done? I've never actually done one, haha.

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
wixxy2348 said:
What store's that, out of interest?

Also.. if they have new shirts already, HOW? I want one, as my current shirt is broken :( But seems like I'll end up having to buy one of the old shirts so I can wear it for a few months.
"Pakington Strand" in Geelong. It opened in November2008 as a new store. It also was built in a heritage building, uses Natural Light(glass roof), water tanks, and they put covers on the freezes and fridges at night to save power usage or something. Its a new environmentally friendly store. And we have "SAFEWAY" down here, so its Victoria's first offical "WOOLWORTHS", and it built right round the corner from me!

There is a liquour bit also which has been rebranded, didn't see their unoform though.

Last edited:

rachana12

HSC
just a question.is it possible to get transferred from one store to another??
And how long does it takes??n wat if u r contracted??will u get d same shifts or depends on wats available.wat is d whole procedure for transfer??
please answer.:cool:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
milocole said:
"Pakington Strand" in Geelong. It opened in November2008 as a new store. It also was built in a heritage building, uses Natural Light(glass roof), water tanks, and they put covers on the freezes and fridges at night to save power usage or something. Its a new environmentally friendly store. And we have "SAFEWAY" down here, so its Victoria's first offical "WOOLWORTHS", and it built right round the corner from me!

There is a liquour bit also which has been rebranded, didn't see their unoform though.
Liquor uniform should be same as the Woolies uniform.
Dayum if I'm ever in Victoria, I'll have to pay Pakington Strand a visit. Coz I have no life :p

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
rachana12 said:
And how long does it takes??n wat if u r contracted??will u get d same shifts or depends on wats available.wat is d whole procedure for transfer??
If you go to the cash office at your store you can get a tranfer form (unless the protocol has changed)...
Not sure about what happens after that, though.
I wanted to transfer from my store to my local store, as my local store is just around the corner from me, as opposed to 20+ minutes on the bus, but my local store was recently refurbished, and doesn't have a bakery anymore (and I can't be bothered working Deli or Checkouts coz of the whole customer thing)

HSC
babikakez said:
I'm in the exact same boat. My CSM quickly went through the supervisor menu with me one day, and that was it. I have a list of things that need to be done each morning before open (first open was yesterday). I just ask a lot of questions, I always seem to call a manager to okay things (such as refunds etc), but six weeks or so in, I seem to feel more confident.

Looks like I'm doing Aust Day on my own though :(.
Yeah you dont get trained. I supervise to fill in on days off and i never got trained, im just lucky i was so perceptive and paid attention of what the supervisor did in situations when i was on checkouts. But the other stuff is easy: refunds, cashing registers, organising breaks etc and the managers prefer it if you call them when your in doubt - that way they dont have to stress over whatever mistakes you've made. The job is just different and you suddenly have authority and more responsibility which can make you wonder if you're doing the right thing sometimes.

But i work at Big w and id rather supervise there than at woolies...

HSC
Yeah theres no official training. Its more supervisors randomly telling you stuff then throwing you in the deep end. When I got trained as supervisor there was a book which someone before me who got trained had filled out with all the infortmation. Ours has been thrown out since then, but maybe see if someone in your store did the same? If not then maybe write down stuff yourself, I don't know about you but I learn by doing as well as writing it.

Its not that hard, its just a matter of remembering how to do things. The thing I was most concerned about it manual EFTS and I luckily haven't had to do one yet.

danberg

HSC
townie said:
there's no official training that i'm aware off (except when the change from ICL to WoWPoS came in)

the usual training method in our store is to spend a few weeks showing somebody the ropes, with respect to refunds etc. the common stuff, then move on to having them do 1 or 2 "buddy shifts" with another supervisor, then throw them into the deep end with an easy shift on their own.

edit: however, rarely is the more complex stuff taught, omly if and when needed e.g. Manual EFT, EFT Settlement, Dissection dumps
I've just recently been given supervisor shifts, and I am often backup supervisor (for when the rostered supervisor is on break)- can someone tell me what this 'complex stuff' (Manual EFT, EFT Settlement, Dissection dumps) is for?

yoddle

is cool
HSC
rachana12 said:
I actually asked the exact same question from my boss today and yeah you get a form from the cash office or StoreNet and its all on there pretty much. It has a section where you fill out your availabilities. You'll also have to have some sort of appraisal from your boss (the customer service manager if you're front end) which may or may not involve you. You're not guaranteed the job either. on the form you have to list three preferences fro stores.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
meow-says-kitty said:
Yeah theres no official training. Its more supervisors randomly telling you stuff then throwing you in the deep end. When I got trained as supervisor there was a book which someone before me who got trained had filled out with all the infortmation. Ours has been thrown out since then, but maybe see if someone in your store did the same? If not then maybe write down stuff yourself, I don't know about you but I learn by doing as well as writing it.

Its not that hard, its just a matter of remembering how to do things. The thing I was most concerned about it manual EFTS and I luckily haven't had to do one yet.
I see, I see. So I'll guess i'll just ask want I want to know. I wa splanning on having a training sesh with my CSM today but she went home sick.

Thanks!

rasengan90

HSC
My boss told me that I am not enthusiastic enough about my job. How excited can one be about counting money?

wearent

HSC
At what age are Woolworths willing to hire you as a 'checkout chick'? The legal age in my state is 13 (Children and Community Services Act 2004 was a lifesaver a couple of years back). I asked IGA today (Woolies weren't open at that time) and they said 14 9 months because it's 'the law'.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
rasengan90 said:
My boss told me that I am not enthusiastic enough about my job. How excited can one be about counting money?
"ZOMG MONIES" *maniacal laugh*

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
wearent said:
At what age are Woolworths willing to hire you as a 'checkout chick'? The legal age in my state is 13 (Children and Community Services Act 2004 was a lifesaver a couple of years back). I asked IGA today (Woolies weren't open at that time) and they said 14 9 months because it's 'the law'.
14 and 9 months was 'the law' forever and a half ago.
The generally accepted age is 14. (this is NSW btw... What state are you in??)

sendreplyfwd

HSC
N/A
wearent said:
Remember companies may have their own internal policies regarding age. For many supermarkets its 14 9 months, or more practically simply 15.

HSC
wearent said:
WA. The Children and Community Services Act 2004 is (since about two years ago) my saviour. http://www.community.wa.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/9D5375C3-F582-4253-A126-58B670487808/0/DCDPOLEmploymentofChildrenLaws2007.pdf
Woolies in WA say 14 on their website, just for simplicity purposes. However, from talking to HR they are willing to hire as young as 12 years provided that they deem the person mature enough and they have parental permission.

EDIT: From reading that link, the woolworths policy may now simply be 14 years. I know this instance of a 12 year old being hired was at least 5 years ago.

Last edited:

wearent

HSC
Where's that on the site? I looked and all it said was that they 'comply with state legislated minimum ages' or something like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)