• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (7 Viewers)

ekul444

HSC
N/A
thanks alot for uploading that pamphlet Roga.

re: uniforms - some people have previously posted about how they have seen stores fully rebranded with uniforms etc. but in the pamphlet it says "The new brand will be available on staff uniforms following a complete review of of our existing uniforms. This will be finalised by July 2009." whats the deal here - if some stores have the uniform already why does a review need to be undertaken for so long??

wearent

HSC
This might sound stupid but what's a 'service cashier'? Is that the formal name for 'check out chick'?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
MS word is better, that way you can give a copy to store manager and dept manager if you want.
I'd say 2 weeks is the minimum notice.

Roga

HSC
wixxy2348 said:
Hey guise on my payslip what does the "B/H" thing mean?
See attached image.
I think it means 'Business hours'. Or the amount of hours listed on your roster

Harry778

HSC
My store isn't getting its refurbishment till June this year, and some guy came in the other day and asked to take photos of all the signs with Woolworths on it around the center and the actual signs above our store. And I was like yeah why? Coz normally your not allowed to take photos, and he said it was for the re-branding thingo.?

Unless they're gonna wait till June to do it.

H.P

HSC
anyone know of any other way to apply for a Job at Woolworth's?

I have applied via the Online Taleo system but never really get much of a reply, some jobs i get a reply the next day, saying i didn't get it, others i don't get any reply at all.

Tried calling some of the stores, they just redirect me right back to the online system. Whatever happened to personal inquiries on the phone or in store?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Wixxy: B/H = basic hours. If you are PPT or FT, these are the minimum rostered hours you work every week.

HP: It's SO much easier for Woolworths to use online recruitment. Phoning in or visiting a store is often fruitless because they are so busy they will just politely shoo you away. If you put all your details online, it saves HR having to sift through paper applications and just look at a database. Probably the major reason you are not getting replies online is because Woolworths does not traditionally hire again until mid-late January. Just stick in there.

H.P

HSC
any tips for making a good impression for someone who hasn't had any relevant experience with the Industry or Retail for that matter (well not Brick and Mortar Retail at least)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Well i know some of the pet hates from managers and new recruits are when they specify they can work x. day/shift during the interview and then when they are hired they magically cannot work said day/shift.

Aside from that, they will view new recruits as a blank canvas. You will get trained in whatever department you are in anyway. I doubt retail experience will be a factor in an entry level position. As long as you can master the art of pretending that you care about peoples problems and politely answer their enquires - that's all Woolworth's realistically expects.

HSC
whatashotbyseve said:
Wixxy: B/H = basic hours. If you are PPT or FT, these are the minimum rostered hours you work every week.

HP: It's SO much easier for Woolworths to use online recruitment. Phoning in or visiting a store is often fruitless because they are so busy they will just politely shoo you away. If you put all your details online, it saves HR having to sift through paper applications and just look at a database. Probably the major reason you are not getting replies online is because Woolworths does not traditionally hire again until mid-late January. Just stick in there.
I'm casual and my B/H always says 38 hrs, whats with that?

HP: Check online every single day. I know that there are times when managers just want to hire one or two people, so they'll keep the ad open just long enough that they can get enough people to interview, and once they've got that, its closed. Its very much a matter of right timing.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Roga said:
I think it means 'Business hours'. Or the amount of hours listed on your roster
whatashotbyseve said:
Thanks guise. makes sense.

H.P

HSC
If applying for multiple jobs on the woolies site, is there even any point of sticking a cover letter for every job up there? I have one on it for Perishables but I'm applying also for nightfill.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Not really. Just interchange Perishibles and Nightfill if you really want. I doubt the cover letter will be a determining factor, more like your availability, attitude and maybe prior retail experience.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
babikakez said:
I'm casual and my B/H always says 38 hrs, whats with that?
Surely it's maximum hours, not minimum hours. casuals are only allowed to work up to 38.00 hours a week.

schance

HSC
N/A
Would really appreciate any advice for the following please:

I need some advice on what i can do within the woolworths company regaurding my options. For starters ive worked at woolworths almost 4 years permanent part time at the same queensland store. My most recent Groceries manager wont give me any more hours due to 'budget' and as hes really the kind to not make decisions and blames it on the store manager.

Now i need to know what my options are;
1) I changed my 16 hour roster to one thats 7.5 hours for a short time as i had other commitments, now he wont give me anymore hours/shifts than that. I have read in an agreement somewhere (and others telling me) that as a permenant part timer i HAVE to work 10 or more hours MINIMUM . Was wondering if i forefit the woolworths agreement of x hours/a month or week because i signed a new mutual agreement from now on and cant go back on it? Also no other departments in that store can take me on for more hours..

2) During Christmas both the store manager and my dept. manager went through and cutback on a lot of peoples hours. As i now am only working one shift a week (7.5hours) i got a phonecall 3 days out from my rostered shift on sunday by my dept manager saying he'd have to cut my shift that week and another random rostered shift i had that week.. I was pretty anoyed at him as he gave me the impression he had no choice and it was the store managers decision yet i know he gets a bonus if they are under budget around xmas.. 2mins later he rings back on his highhorse saying 'he had gone through the files... i had accrude holiday leave would i want to take some of that?' hesitantly i accepted and he said next shift i could sign the paperwork. Next shift i came in the pay office person said 'they couldnt take my only shift and if i didnt want to take the time off i didnt have too as i was p p-t. 'And that she didnt have the paperwork for me to sign/ didnt know about them doing that to me, yet i still got paid hmmm...

Do i have a case to speak to Human Resources/ Head Office / The SDA union about whats going on in my store, or/and to speed the process up, am i being treated fairly? Also I have put in for a transfer 3 months ago and havent heard anything from anyone,not even my store or mangers,,, they have a really back record of just tearing them up im told and coercing staff to stay or just saying on there own back 'other stores cant take you,' etc. I put in another transfer request 2 weeks ago to the pay office and a note to my manager in the diary and havent heard anything. I Have also applied for a vacancy at BWS which i would prefer over woolworths but im guessing id have to wait for the online advertisement to close before i hear anything..

If i did speak to my managers they would be very hesitant to help me, this i am sure. Can i find help elsewhere? My initial step was to ask on this forum..

Any advice/ideas would be greatly appreciated thanks :)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
http://www.sda.org.au/images/awards/award37.pdf

Here is the relevant agreement for Woolworths (well I am assuming Safeway and Woolworths are the same). Inside it does say that you have to work a minimum ten hours/week in you are PPT.

Re: unions, I am not in the union, i find all unions a waste of time and space. They may be able to help you, I'm not sure.

My guess is they are trying to force you to resign. What for I don't really know. I would leverage the 10hrs/week scenario from HR to try and speed up your transfer maybe? Its pretty obvious your stay at the store has become untenable.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Hey just before New Years a store here was broken into and they managed to steal all the smokes being kept in the front of the shop.

Ever since we have had to take out, tray by tray, all the smokes in the smoke cupboard and place them in boxes, where they are taken up into the cash office. This happens every single night and takes about an hour. Total pain in the arse. Wondering if this has to happen nationwide or whether they've just confined it to Tasmania?

Surely if it could happen here it could happen anywhere?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)