The Woolworths Thread (8 Viewers)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Also, I was made part time when I was fifteen, though I started as casual for the first couple of months. It's not too bad being part time, as long as you are able to work the minimum number of contracted hours.
The only thing that you miss out on is the fact that you don't get the 20% loading that you would as a casual worker, which sorta sucks when you aren't earning much to begin with.

bdude

HSC
I forgot shops shut Easter Sunday in NSW. The Coles I work for in tassie is only ever shut 2 days: Good friday and Xmas day

illmatic1990

HSC
Can someone tell me the actual breaks you get from shifts ranging from say 5 to 12 hours?

Just wondering because I worked 10 (so 9 paid) and I only got 1 tea break. Just wondering if that is correct.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
are there such things like 2 hour shifts ?

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Incorrect. inform cash office & your manager that you only got one tea break for a 10 hour shift, so ALL 10 hours are to be paid.

And check your payslips, they will ALWAYS try and screw around with it.

EDIT: And the minimum shift is 3 hours

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Can someone tell me the actual breaks you get from shifts ranging from say 5 to 12 hours?

Just wondering because I worked 10 (so 9 paid) and I only got 1 tea break. Just wondering if that is correct.
as in... you got your full hour break AND one tea break? or all you took in the whole day was a single tea break..

And the minimum shift is 3 hours
This.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC

What I generally do is take one tea break at 5 hours, and just add 15 minutes for every extra hour I work. (So 6 hours = 30 minutes, 7 = 45, etc up to 10 = 1 h 30)
I have no idea what the actual rule is, but hey.

dux&src

HSC
Incorrect. inform cash office & your manager that you only got one tea break for a 10 hour shift, so ALL 10 hours are to be paid.

And check your payslips, they will ALWAYS try and screw around with it.

EDIT: And the minimum shift is 3 hours
aww but at maccas it's 2 hours ....hmph...

so do they ever give you 3 hour shifts then?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
aww but at maccas it's 2 hours ....hmph...

so do they ever give you 3 hour shifts then?
It really depends on what they want you to work.
In my experience, some managers think a three hour shift is a waste, whereas some don't mind.
I used to work 3 hour shifts 3 nights a week (full shifts on weekends though), so yeah, 3 hour shifts DO exist...

dux&src

HSC
It really depends on what they want you to work.
In my experience, some managers think a three hour shift is a waste, whereas some don't mind.
I used to work 3 hour shifts 3 nights a week (full shifts on weekends though), so yeah, 3 hour shifts DO exist...
what about 4 hour shifts? Do some managers think a four hour shift is a waste too?
How do part-time shifts work?
Are the shifts exactly the same each time the rosters are done?Like every week you would get the same times ...or something along the lines of 10 hours each week?

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
what about 4 hour shifts? Do some managers think a four hour shift is a waste too?
I know some managers in my store don't like having their staff come in for any less than 5 hour shifts, yes. But it really depends on the availability of the staff, the manager's preference and the needs of the department.
How do part-time shifts work?
Are the shifts exactly the same each time the rosters are done?Like every week you would get the same times ...or something along the lines of 10 hours each week?
For me, I have a ten hour contract, so I get at least ten hours rostered every week. But my manager "flexes me up" - she gives me an extra 10 or more hours on top of the contracted ten, so my roster is different every week even though I am part time. But generally if you are contracted to a set number of hours they won't deviate from that too much.

dux&src

HSC
I know some managers in my store don't like having their staff come in for any less than 5 hour shifts, yes. But it really depends on the availability of the staff, the manager's preference and the needs of the department.

For me, I have a ten hour contract, so I get at least ten hours rostered every week. But my manager "flexes me up" - she gives me an extra 10 or more hours on top of the contracted ten, so my roster is different every week even though I am part time. But generally if you are contracted to a set number of hours they won't deviate from that too much.
looks like I might have to work 6 hour shifts on school nights...:eek:
My availability is pretty much everyday after school till 8pm :eek: (only 4 hours...) and 9-9 on non-school nights (fri and sat)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
looks like I might have to work 6 hour shifts on school nights...:eek:
My availability is pretty much everyday after school till 8pm :eek: (only 4 hours...) and 9-9 on non-school nights (fri and sat)
Like I said, it depends on the manager and what they want.
So there's really not much point worrying until you actually get the job...

Last edited:

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC

tng850

HSC
N/A
Quick question, who exactly does a Duty Manager outrank? I got written up today by our duty manager (I was bitching about another cashier). While I understand the Duty Manager outranks me (a supervisor), does he outrank the Service Manager?.

I was wondering because last week the Duty Manager was bossing around our CSM and she was just taking it.

greekgun

HSC
Quick question, who exactly does a Duty Manager outrank? I got written up today by our duty manager (I was bitching about another cashier). While I understand the Duty Manager outranks me (a supervisor), does he outrank the Service Manager?.

I was wondering because last week the Duty Manager was bossing around our CSM and she was just taking it.
Well the duty manager is in charge when the store manager is not around...so i guess that makes him the equivalent to 2IC (2nd in charge) so yeah i guess that does give them authority over the CSM. man some1 needs to make a hiereracy tree for all of this.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Well the duty manager is in charge when the store manager is not around...so i guess that makes him the equivalent to 2IC (2nd in charge) so yeah i guess that does give them authority over the CSM. man some1 needs to make a hiereracy tree for all of this.
Looks over to townie. =D

illmatic1990

HSC
What I generally do is take one tea break at 5 hours, and just add 15 minutes for every extra hour I work. (So 6 hours = 30 minutes, 7 = 45, etc up to 10 = 1 h 30)
I have no idea what the actual rule is, but hey.
Yeah see I got told that by one of the other guys at work but that was wrong. I'm just confused because I know some people take 45 min breaks (at our store anyway) on a 6 hour shift (so that would be the 30 min break PLUS a 15 min tea). But what about an 8 hour shift? Would you take an hour and a 15 as well?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)