• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

HSC
Hey, have any checkout people had to ask for ID for customers buying pure vanilla essence? My mother was ID checked for buying it a while ago in Woolies because it has alcohol in it and there were cases of underaged people buying it and attempting to get drunk of it. Is that a normal policy? The next time she bought it she went through SS and wasn't ID checked...
I can't believe your mother was asked for ID (not saying she's old or anything, but clearly she'd be over 18 lol).

I believe the policy is that Food Colouring cannot be sold to minors. Same with knives etc. But there is no need to ask for ID if the person is above 18, as you can bypass the ID Check screen.

HSC
Well the rf units can process their deli labels so I'd be telling your SSM to get on to them... they don't want anyone using manual RTCs anymore. The only problem is we've only got 4 printers in the store so there's a bit of a fight for them! We just got 2 new RF guns because everyone fought for them too (and then someone dropped one and smashed the screen!)
If all they used them for was chickens and sushi we would be fine. Its very rare that other items are RTC'd.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Hey, have any checkout people had to ask for ID for customers buying pure vanilla essence? My mother was ID checked for buying it a while ago in Woolies because it has alcohol in it and there were cases of underaged people buying it and attempting to get drunk of it. Is that a normal policy? The next time she bought it she went through SS and wasn't ID checked...
Yes, vanilla essence and food colouring - not sure why but I have refused to sell it to an under-18 before, she was not a happy girl LOL.. I think in your mother's case it was just a naive operator who wasn't sure what to do when the screen came up... Is it a government law or Woolworths policy? On self serve if the customer has scanned an age restricted item a screen will come up when they hit 'finish and pay' and the attendant has to clear a screen which requires them to verify the age of the customer.

re WoWPoS SCO:- had a bit of a read of the manual today - doesn't look too bad... most things are the same. When an attendant scans their barcode a screen will come up giving them a whole bunch of options - one of which is to enter 'POS' which brings up the WoWPoS screen and allows them all the functions normally on registers (including SVR menu - but there is a big list of things attendants cant do :p)
One really good feature is the inclusion of a 'scan your EDR card' screen after hitting 'finish and pay' they have to either scan their card or hit skip (haha thats gonna annoy lots of people) but NO MORE EXCUSES for not scanning card on SCO =]

Last edited:

Mstislava

HSC
I have a question for all you wow experts. In the supervisor menu, what is manual export ? No one at my store seems to know. It is a mystery !

ay0_x

HSC
Folks

does Woolies ever employ people on a fulltime basis?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Folks

does Woolies ever employ people on a fulltime basis?
I'd say so. Perhaps older people (mums, people returning to work, etc).

Hey, when are you doing your checkout training (department specific induction)? Cause I know you had the company induction the other day.

Cheers

ay0_x

HSC
I'd say so. Perhaps older people (mums, people returning to work, etc).

Hey, when are you doing your checkout training (department specific induction)? Cause I know you had the company induction the other day.

Cheers
I went to my store to hand in my tax stuff/superannuation/pay yesterday (right after phase 2 of my induction) and my store manager was all excitedly WHEN CAN YOU WORK FOR ME?!?!

I said Tuesday and he's giving me a ring tomorrow. So hopefully Tuesday ^^

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I went to my store to hand in my tax stuff/superannuation/pay yesterday (right after phase 2 of my induction) and my store manager was all excitedly WHEN CAN YOU WORK FOR ME?!?!

I said Tuesday and he's giving me a ring tomorrow. So hopefully Tuesday ^^
Oh lol, so you've already completed part 2 of your induction (department specific induction)?
BTW you were meant to do hand in those forms before the first inducion lol. My trainer yesterday said you won't get paid for the induction if you didnt hand it in prior.

haha cheers

ay0_x

HSC
Oh lol, so you've already completed part 2 of your induction (department specific induction)?
BTW you were meant to do hand in those forms before the first inducion lol. My trainer yesterday said you won't get paid for the induction if you didnt hand it in prior.

haha cheers

I thought department specific was phase 3? lol. Haven't done that yet.

We had "phase 1" where we read code and conduct, 4 hours. Phase 2 where we went into safety and customer service and shit in detail, 3 hours. That's when they gave us the forms.

They told us to hand them in before Monday& that could mean they'd pay us for it. If they don't pay me I'm whingeing and stomping my feet.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I thought department specific was phase 3? lol. Haven't done that yet.

We had "phase 1" where we read code and conduct, 4 hours. Phase 2 where we went into safety and customer service and shit in detail, 3 hours. That's when they gave us the forms.

They told us to hand them in before Monday& that could mean they'd pay us for it. If they don't pay me I'm whingeing and stomping my feet.
Oh, so yours is broken up?
I had an 8 hour induction yesterday for all that stuff lol. My department specific inductions (checkout training) is Wednesday and Thursday.

ay0_x

HSC
Oh, so yours is broken up?
I had an 8 hour induction yesterday for all that stuff lol. My department specific inductions (checkout training) is Wednesday and Thursday.
Yep, broken up ^^.

No idea when my department specific stuff is, I'm guessing Tuesday with my first shift. I'm in love with the area my store is in, so want to move there.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
So I take it you didn't get the email?
There was a two-paged form you dated & signed at the induction. That was the exact same email you get, but I take it they must have called you instead of emailed.
That basically had all your induction times on it, should have asked for a photocopy :p.

BTW, I told her the size I thought I should be, but she goes "what? no way! try this on", haha. Im like "ok........ ill try it on........ *5 mins later* no, i need a whole two sizes bigger", lmao.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
On that note. I wonder how it works.
Our trainer said yesterday that we'll be serving in our training shifts. So do they not explain anything about registers before they start? Or do they close the register off and explain stuff and then open it to give us a go?

Hmmm

SpongeHead

HSC
Hey guys,

Just had a shift as self-serve attendent after the new user interface went live and it was definately a nightmare!!! :burn: Overall I think the new software is reallybuggy and dodgy compared to the NCR software, so I honestly hope they consider switching it back....

For one thing all of our self serve machines kept complaining of a weight mismatch every few minutes as customers were using them. As usual, I checked what each cutomer had already scanned compared to what they had placed in the bagging area and for most of the time there was nothing wrong with what they were doing. At one stage our store had about 20 or so people queued up at the self-serve machines (our express lanes were also crowded) and this stupid error seriously slowed everything down. When I was at one machine fixing the error, another error would pop up on the next machine, then another on the next machine and so on - and boy did the customers get annoyed. Almost all complained that we had gone backwards with the "upgrade" because of all the errors, primative interface etc etc and that they preferred the earlier software.

If that wasn't enough, one of our larger SS machines kept freezing while it was trying to print receipts. The screen would completely freeze each time so we had no choice but to switch it off at the power point and make reboot it - meanwhile this didn't help reduce the queue size considering we only have 4 SS's at our store. Another problem is that when customers select "credit card" and then sign their signature, the voice no longer says "Please wait for approval" and there is no "Ok" or "Try again" buttons for them to use. Usually I wait near the customer while they sign the pad so I can quickly swipe my barcode and approve the transaction so they can finish and get out of the store. But today I had to wait alongside each customer for about 5 seconds until that stupid little "Store Login" button popped up so I could approve the transaction. After pressing the "Yes" button, the software also takes ridiculously long to print the a receipt. Nothing would happen on the screen for like 20 seconds so each customer was forced to wait if they wanted a receipt. Some of them tried pressing the "Yes" button a few times because they thought I didn't press it. In the end, most got fed up, left and were long gone before the receipt printed. Meanwhile the machine was still thinking and finally said "Please don't forget to take your recipt".

Apart from the really really crappy graphics interface , I also am a bit iffy that customers can actually see what we are doing on the WoWPOS screen. For example, while I was voiding items with customers watching what I was doing on WoWPOS, they all kept asking me what I was doing, whether I was cancelling the correct item and what all the new buttons were for. I think it was way easier when the customers could select and cancel an item themselves - all we needed to do was swipe our barcode and it would be done. Simple!

We also had problems with the scales freezing/not working on the SS machines. As usual I tried pressing the "Reset" button on the scales but all I got was a stupid bleep noise. Then it hit me that they probbaly disabled this function, so I tried adjsuting the volume of the scanner and heard the same bleep with no change in volume. Again we were forced to reboot each machine when the scales froze and meanwhile customers were still complaining.

So from my experiences today I can confidently say the new system is a load of Bs.... Bring back the proper software made by the same company who made the machines, argh! If Woolworths wanted to change the buttons and incorporate WowPOS I don't see why NCR couldn't have customised the software for them, and in the process maintain the reliability of the SS machines!!

Sigh.... vent over.

It would be good to hear about other people's experiences with the new SS software

Last edited:

Harry778

HSC
I have a question for all you wow experts. In the supervisor menu, what is manual export ? No one at my store seems to know. It is a mystery !
Same with everyone at my store! Welll once I scanned cigarettes and some how..I have no idea how pressed Manual Export and they just disappeared off the screen so I had to scan them again. I was like...fuck hope they dont come up on some report that I have Manual Exported cigarettes cos I did it twice in the same day lol.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
That's bad, ideally all supervisors should know this.

When you do a manual EFT, and have filled in the papers and done that thing with the wierd machine-thingy, you have to press 'manual export', which (from what I have gathered) exports the transaction to the EFT machine, and a screen comes up saying 'APPROVED' just like you have finished a regular EFT transaction.

I've only been shown once when a Wish Gift Card wouldn't work, my 3IC showed me.

Although the 21C at my old store said she didn't know how to do manual EFT's so, yeah.

Grand final day was typically grand final-ly. Crazy busy from about 10.30 to 2.30 (constantly long express queue) and then at about 2.15 went totally and utterly dead, only needed two big checkouts open and had the rest of us in express, chatting.

danberg

HSC
That's bad, ideally all supervisors should know this.

When you do a manual EFT, and have filled in the papers and done that thing with the wierd machine-thingy, you have to press 'manual export', which (from what I have gathered) exports the transaction to the EFT machine, and a screen comes up saying 'APPROVED' just like you have finished a regular EFT transaction.

I've only been shown once when a Wish Gift Card wouldn't work, my 3IC showed me.

Although the 21C at my old store said she didn't know how to do manual EFT's so, yeah.
Ahhh thats what it is. I don;t really know how to do manual EFT either- never been shown. I'm pretty sure our 2IC wouldn't know either.

So you do manual EFT, type in the card number?
THen use that old manual machine on the slips...and then manual export???
I guess I've been doing it wrong all this time! (tho only for giftcards)

Last edited:

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Um....I think so, yeah. You have to get a form of ID i think??
I can't remember it that much but yeah, you have to manual export it at the end.

I don't think I'd be able to do it myself, which is testament to the ad hoc supervisor training woolworths does.

Would it really be that hard for new supervisors to go through just a simple training day at the local training store or something? Even a training module that CSM's could follow in their own store.

Craven

HSC
Wow, thanks for that vent SpongeHead, really interesting.
My store goes live on Tuesday 6/10, I am booked in for a training session with the Area Champion on Monday 5/10.

Real shame that this software isn't an improvement because I have always thought that it is a bad idea to leave the NCR software that has generally been so good. We have had the SCOs for almost a year (October 08 infact) so we have had a good chance to get the majority of our customers really comfortable with the machines. Its gonna be a huge shame that all our hard work in gettiing the vast majority of customers to like them is gonna go straight out the window with this ill thought out change.

Ive also always said that Im sure a major company like Woolworths could organise with NCR to customise the software to suit the things Woolworths wants while keeping the solid platform (as you suggested). Im so upset that the new software is so buggy.

Im really disappointed by all the things Ive heard so far, and Im now dreading a weeks time when my store goes live and I'll be in this disaster too....
Our SCO's go live this Wednesday. But we are just getting them for the first time. So my experiences will probably be a lot more positive than yours, lol.

Manual EFTs... then what is the manual EFT button in the tender mode for? I mean, if you ever hit the manual export button, the transaction disappears and no receipt is printed? Personally, I have never done a manual EFT (either asking the customer to pay another way or pay to the floor limit on EFT and cash for the difference, etc.) just because otherwise it's a pain in the ass.

Our new checkouts... they are stainless steel. I remember some people discussing the 2010 looks earlier ?? I might take a photo tomorrow night haha. Our red lights are now thin blue strip which is really hard to see! We never had bells until now but I guess we are keeping them since I can hardly see the light on until I hear a bell ding, lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)