The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
It didnt take me very long. My first transfer took about a month, but when I wanted to get transferred back it took 2-3 week. Although they were a bit pissed off that I wanted another transfer within 3 months, back to the same store. Lol.
I'm still waiting for my transfer to come through...apparently my application got lost in the mail. Been like 3 weeks. So mad right now. To top it off, I was offered to be trained for backup supervision today at my current store...Arrgh!

bensneddon

HSC
there used to be a way to manually type in the card number for credit cards that were damaged, however, we are no longer able to do this as people (customers) were rorting the system (by pretending to swipe their card, but actually enter in a CC number of a stolen card). this is why we now have to make sure card numbers match and there isnt a K.

A damaged card could be processed via manual EFT, but we arent supposed to do it for damaged cards, if the card is damaged you should direct the customer to their financial institution for a replacement.
Yeah pre Store Release 9.2, you could go Function 9090 on the PINPad and do it all manually.

Craven

HSC
As far as I can tell since chip card functionality there is no S or K's anymore... and we still do manual card enters for bush orders at my store, rarely but it happens.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Do we just talk to the department manager about finding our scan rates?
Also, will they come to us if it needs to be higher?

Chers

Otacon2009

HSC
Yes.

What happens is that at the end of the day (or it could be the first thing in the morning), a report for front end is compiled. The report tells a lot about the induvidual scanner such as how much money the scanner made, how many customers the scanner had, idle time, percetage of Everyday Rewards Cards scanned and the scan rate.

If one's scan rate falls (at our store the aim is roughly 16 items a minute), the person is just asked why they are dropping. I got questioned when it was sitting at 11 at one stage, though from what I've gathered from months of lurking here, other stores may formally counsel the staff member if it dropped.

danberg

HSC
i've been working at my safeway for over 2 years now, and have NEVER EVER had anything said about scan rates, not me, nor have i heard them talking about the scan rates of other staff. (tho i sometimes wish they did, cos im ultra fast and hopefully number ONE!).

Also I think its really unfair for counselling to occur for lowish scan rates,i was actually talking to someone who used to be a cashier and asking about my scan rate, then she said 'oh i forget they're not allowed to do that anymore', maybe a union thing? just vic?
especially seeing as some cashiers are really old, some might have injuries (wrists, RSI) or sore joints etc so im kindof glad my stores not resorting to scan rates.

HSC
Also I think its really unfair for counselling to occur for lowish scan rates,i was actually talking to someone who used to be a cashier and asking about my scan rate, then she said 'oh i forget they're not allowed to do that anymore', maybe a union thing? just vic?
especially seeing as some cashiers are really old, some might have injuries (wrists, RSI) or sore joints etc so im kindof glad my stores not resorting to scan rates.
This is why you can't be fired for having a low scan rate.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh if you have injuries preventing you doing your job properly you shouldn't be doing it.
but that depends on how you define "doing your job properley", i think if your scanning to a rate which processes customers in an acceptable time frame, you are doing your job properley, and the company will always set a scan rate which is above acceptable just to increase productivity. i think 12 is an adequate scanning rate.

danberg

HSC
Tbh if you have injuries preventing you doing your job properly you shouldn't be doing it.
actually being a cashier is about more than scanning stuff as fast as you can, otherwise we'd all just be replaced with machines.
someone might not be the fastest scanner but might be really friendly to customers, engage in genuine conversation to the point that they have regular customers who always line up at their registers.
doing your job properly also includes how well you pack your bags, the scanning rate doesn't measure this.

bdude

HSC
Funny thing is, when the Dept Manager sits on 7 makes me laugh
Well, I guess a DM doesn't really serve on a register all that much. Probably just the occasional smokes/refund.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
The emphasis put on scan rates is stupid.

I usually hover between 11 and 12, but I'm a really good operator/supervisor and I know I'm valued by the CSM and store. Lots of our best operators have pretty average scan rates, and some with lower customer service standards are 'fast' (i.e. they secure their register at every available opportunity).

Quite busy all today.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Scan rates stop in tender mode, right? If I need to wait for a customer whilst fiddling with stuff, I just chuck it in tender mode untill they get back then hit C to go back into sale mode.
Or sometimes I save the transaction if they need to run off and get something

danberg

HSC
all this scanning rate talk is making me curious....can anyone tell me how you access scanning rates (presumably through office?)- i only hav sup'n privileges but know plenty with manager privileges.

bensneddon

HSC
all this scanning rate talk is making me curious....can anyone tell me how you access scanning rates (presumably through office?)- i only hav sup'n privileges but know plenty with manager privileges.
In StoreLine Office > Service Manager Menu > Weekly Review folder > Operator Performance

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm more skeptical about scan rates anyway after reading the Current System Restrictions Document which specifically says the figures are wrong unless you select your report as Weekly or Monthly, if you put in a date range it spits out the wrong numbers apparantly. which is pretty stupid for 2 reasons
1. how the hell else are we supposed to send out an accurate IM e-form every week?
2. Your trusting people to read the System Restrictions documents, and i wonder how many actually do.

Otacon2009

HSC
Ask your Front End department manager tomorrow. S/he'll tell you when the report comes. Though the reports aren't entirely accurate as quantatity scans are factored in and make some people scan as much as 60 IPM.

bensneddon

HSC
i'm more skeptical about scan rates anyway after reading the Current System Restrictions Document which specifically says the figures are wrong unless you select your report as Weekly or Monthly, if you put in a date range it spits out the wrong numbers apparantly. which is pretty stupid for 2 reasons
1. how the hell else are we supposed to send out an accurate IM e-form every week?
2. Your trusting people to read the System Restrictions documents, and i wonder how many actually do.
The average scanning rates for days/weeks gets screwed if you have SCO's. Not sure if they factor that into your target IPM, but I can't remember ours changing after we got SCO's.

We don't even bother filling in the daily IPM on the IM e-form, we just do the week.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey, i actually have a question, what do you guys do about the Voids report, i've been trained to print it out and get all operators to sign and explain anything >$10, but this seems like a waste of time, espescially as the voids report arent required to be retained under records of retention, on the other hand, it is part of the SMART that the reports are checked. I just find it takes a huge amount of time following up all the voids so am thinking of just following up void transactions, and large/repeated/suspiscious voids of cigs/phone credit/etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)