The Woolworths Thread (5 Viewers)

Harry778

HSC
See this is my perspective. Ordinarily I will do the bare minimum and then leave no more than say 20-30 minutes after I'm supposed to finish, but at the end of the day you can't give me three operators all finishing at 9.15, when they've been on their registers all night and the last customers are not leaving until 9.10, and expect everything spotless. It took me that long to spot tills and get them upstairs, basic cleaning and reports.

I noticed that Wednesday and Friday night they had double the operators that I had on Tuesday...
It is fairly ridiculous! Its harder on Sunday nights cos we have liquor closing at the same time. So thats and extra 2 tills to spot check. I get three operators on sat night till 12.30 and the other 2 finish at 12 (5 all together till close) and the ones finishing at 12 dont get upstairs till about 12.10, and the 12.30 ones not till about 12.40! I never get introuble for it..guess cos we always get smashed and doesnt matter about the extra $$? My CSM said he only wants good supervisors for weekends cos they are pretty stressful! I was like *blush* I feel special. But the girl who does closes the weekend I'm off is an idiot..dunno why he thinks shes any good.

Sunday nights-
4 operators till 10, 2 operators till 10.30 (6 all together) And they ALWAYS give me shit annoying people that cant do anything. hahaha.

EDIT: Got some new photos on ma foto buketz! lol..

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
We made $109,000 sales today. That is really good for us (I laugh how some stores make 1 million during busiest parts of the year)
Lol if we made only $109k on any day of the year our store would be in ruins. I don't know what an average store makes, but our average is $1.1m/week ish and we are doing $1.3/$1.4m atm. Slightly down on what management expected I think because a new Woolworths opened up about 10 mins down the road two weeks ago and maybe the6y are cannibalising sales.

I don't know how WA stores do it - you make the same sales (maybe more) as us with restricted trading hours! Must be crazyily busy all the time.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Lol if we made only $109k on any day of the year our store would be in ruins. I don't know what an average store makes, but our average is $1.1m/week ish and we are doing $1.3/$1.4m atm. Slightly down on what management expected I think because a new Woolworths opened up about 10 mins down the road two weeks ago and maybe the6y are cannibalising sales.

I don't know how WA stores do it - you make the same sales (maybe more) as us with restricted trading hours! Must be crazyily busy all the time.
Haha, we also have several stores approx 10 minutes away, ours probably being the smallest of them all (shopping centre woolworths). We only have 12 registers on front end, including smokeshop (excl. liquor).

One of the stores up the road to ours is still flat stick busy at 10pm, lol.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC

One of the busiest stores in my area experienced something like this. A woolies opened up directly opposite! Their sales plummeted because it was a completely brand new store, but after a few months both stores were achieving the same sales.

Being 100m away makes it really handy for IBT's!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Whhhhhaaat?

I'm so dreading next week! Huge loads all week with a killer on Wednesday. I work in Perishables and seriously, there is only so many pallets that can be squeezed into a coolroom!

Uplift + allocations = soul killer.
Totally sounds like bakery. I swear, we have SO MUCH STOCK (mixture of allocations/extra stock for the Xmas period) in both our freezer & the main perishables freezer! :p 'Cept of course we have problems with perishables staff who seem to like damaging half our Christmas stock ;)

Got home at 1.30am :mad: My dad was like 'I'm gonna fuckin go down there and tell em' to fuckin pay you for how long you fucking stayed back for' LOL. I was like..no dad.
Haha welcome to my life, Harry. I've been good recently, only done about 3 hours for free this week, but zomg, I pretty much have to lie through my teeth to mum and tell her that I get paid for 45 - 50 hours per week to make up for the extra hours I seem to ALWAYS work for free :eek:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
You know what would be really handy.... It'd be nice if the barcode login approach was adopted globally within Woolworths/Safeway.
Instead of having to type our numbers in each time, a quick scan of the barcode and we're in.

Scanning the barcode when logged out does nothing. Scanning the barcode with the login screen up does nothing. Scanning the barcode when it has the password field highlighted, says "INVALID PASSWORD".
It would be so easy for them to do, afterall the technology is there (exactly the same as self-serve login), they just have to tell the WoWPOS that the barcode is login credentials...

Might put it into the ideas book.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
But Mathew, it would make it easier for checkout operators to log in as a user other than themselves, wouldn't it??

HSC
Whose happy with there christmas roster?
I am :D

Chrissy Eve: 8-2 Smokeshop 8-11 Deli 11.45-1 1-2 operator
Sunday: 4-8

woo :)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
But Mathew, it would make it easier for checkout operators to log in as a user other than themselves, wouldn't it??
Mmmm not necessarily. Just think of SCO. Everybody still has their own individual login numbers, except they have the choice to print a barcode for quicker login access if need be.
This would come in handy in cases where you need to collect registers at the end of the night and stuff. So to answer your question, people would need to be sharing barcodes (why would you though?), plus it's the same as me telling you my login numbers right now..

Some people may argue about security. That's also easily fixed. Make the barcodes expire after xx hours, or after a day or something. Thus making any discarded barcodes useless if a customer finds them in a bin or something.

bdude

HSC
This would come in handy in cases where you need to collect registers at the end of the night and stuff. So to answer your question, people would need to be sharing barcodes (why would you though?), plus it's the same as me telling you my login numbers right now..
It would be great for supervisors every time an operator needs their numbers to do something simple. Just walk past scan and go. Kinda like how they have it at McDonald's with the Managers' swipe cards.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Some people may argue about security. That's also easily fixed. Make the barcodes expire after xx hours, or after a day or something. Thus making any discarded barcodes useless if a customer finds them in a bin or something.
Isn't it then just easier to use sign-on numbers which are permanent? :/

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Mm Mathew, it is a good idea, and would be very convenient, but from a security point of view I'm not sure its so good.

I mean on SCO we have to be really careful with our barcodes (shredding them etc. whenever we leave the area etc.) and that is ok, because it is only a couple of trained 'responsible' people. I don't think it is such a good idea to hand a responsibility like that out to all the checkout staff.
Maybe those with supervisor privileges should get a special card with a barcode that they can scan, to really speed up their intervention time & also during spot checks. I think that would work well.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I remember when I first started Working at Woolworths I tried creating my own login barcode, but I could never get it to scan on the log in screen.

I did duplicate my staff discount card though :p

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Mm Mathew, it is a good idea, and would be very convenient, but from a security point of view I'm not sure its so good.

I mean on SCO we have to be really careful with our barcodes (shredding them etc. whenever we leave the area etc.) and that is ok, because it is only a couple of trained 'responsible' people. I don't think it is such a good idea to hand a responsibility like that out to all the checkout staff.
Maybe those with supervisor privileges should get a special card with a barcode that they can scan, to really speed up their intervention time & also during spot checks. I think that would work well.
But remember what I said about the expiration date on the barcodes (xx hours or 1 day, etc). Also, if they can be controlled from Storeline like saved transactions, then it will basically be safe enough as the supervisor looking at active barcodes could say "ok, blah's shift has finished *void barcode*"

I did duplicate my staff discount card though :p
Aye?

Last edited:

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I was always leaving my discount card at home so I duplicated the barcode and stuck it to the bottom of my Eftpos card, so I always had it with me.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
But remember what I said about the expiration date on the barcodes (xx hours or 1 day, etc). Also, if they can be controlled from Storeline like saved transactions, then it will basically be safe enough as the supervisor looking at active barcodes could say "ok, blah's shift has finished *void barcode*"

Aye?
But then... you'd need a new barcode every shift
And isn't that just a pain in the ass?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I explained my thoughts about that above.
To be honest I don't think it matters re: "barcodes for select few SCO people who are responsible", most people in my store have SCO access to their numbers for no reason at all, and can easily do nasty stuff.

What would be your views on a more permanent approach to this then? I'm talking about a hard card barcode that we wear or have with us whilst on shift instead of a paper barcode we put in our pocket and will probably lose due to falling out?
That way, we will be much more aware if it goes missing/gets stolen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)