• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (9 Viewers)

bdude

HSC
So getting a 70c pay increase soon. New union increase + off-probation increase will up me to $10.72 p/h.

Sweet.
I know, I have my 17th birthday thursday and then the union pay increase in february.

lol, a guy from our store got fired for stealing money (well, voiding the stock letting the customers leave and keeping the money)
I think it's stupid to steal from your employer. You will get caught.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
What options do I have about retail certs and what not within woolworths? A friend my age is doing a Retail Cert II at KFC, and i want one!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
at your age? Um. Speak to your SM, or SSM, find out when the next careers day in Vic is and maybe look into it.
Though I'd say that it's probably unlikely... only coz of the age thing?

You could always do it at Tafe, yo.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Well as I said my friend is only the same age as me, and he's doing cert II at KFC, so I'm kinda hoping I can, hehe. I'll have to ask around.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
It's just that KFC specifically targets young people with that course (most stores have signs up promoting that if you're at school and work for them you can do your Cert II and have it count towards your finals). P. sure Woolies doesn't target young people in the same way, and would probably be fairly reluctant.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
It's just that KFC specifically targets young people with that course (most stores have signs up promoting that if you're at school and work for them you can do your Cert II and have it count towards your finals). P. sure Woolies doesn't target young people in the same way, and would probably be fairly reluctant.
im 18 turning 19 next april...do u think i would be old enough? my CSM asked me if i was interested...but i wanna know what the benefits are before i commit myself

Craven

HSC
Pretty sure they want SMT to have done a Cert 4 these days, townie?

Otacon2009

HSC
I'm under the impression the Cert II Retail for Woolies takes a couple of days to complete (According to the chart in my staff room). Or is it done over the course of the year? I was thinking of getting it as a vehicle to move up in the supermarket ladder after 3 years on being entry level. Though I was told it's only open to full time employees and uni students may not get in for whatever reason.

HSC
Whats the difference between Cert 2 and Future 2IC Course? Coz there's a girl in my store doing Future 2IC, and she's 18 (but also full time).

Also, I have no fucking idea how they paid me this week (about 7 different rates), but its a VERY VERY nice total.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Here the Retail Certificate II is only open to 2ICs wanting to become future Department managers.

Having said that some Supervisors have taken the course, so I don't think they are that strict on it. But it probably varies from store to store. As far as I know no casuals at my store have ever been sent on training courses. Only full time, contracted employees.

Last edited:

MMacka

HSC
N/A
can't claim ignorance, People Planner doest pay it out by default for less than 10hrs break, you have to ask for it, and if you ask for it, they know you already knew and didnt say anything. then say goodbye to any shifts ever again.
I suppose it's down to how you bring the issue up. When it happened to me and I claimed it there was nothing bad that happened, no shift cuts or anything. Just an apology and my dept manager blamed STM and it only happened because of some one off late night trade and early morning start.

Does people planner know when you go over your 10.5 ordinary hour limit?

Craven

HSC
PP doesn't know anything re: awards and EBAs. That's the responsibility of the SSO/person doing the roster.

HSC
I don't know about your store, but for our perishables department there is either a list on the fridge door for you, or the duty manager will know exactly what needs to be done/in what order.
I reckon you'll get a massive load tomorrow (IIRC you're in a WA store aren't you) - we've had no milk load since thursday apart from what we got from another store yesterday. There's supposed to be problems with Masters, so yeah, be prepared for that.
Yes, I'm in WA. :) And yea, we did get a huge load in today. I was at the backdock dumping cardboard boxes into the baler when some guy came and told me (he was at the receiving dock which is near the baler) to tell the manager of Perishables that the load's arrived. I wasn't the only one there today, thank god. The manager was there, and two others but they were in freezers. Don't know why my frontend supervisor told me there was NO ONE in perishables today when she spoke to me on the phone yesterday. I didn't think they'd be that dumb to put a casual staff who isn't even on Perishables often as boss haha! Cuz I wouldn't know what to do with the loads and stuff considering I haven't been trained to use the pallet jack. :) I think we got a huge amount of cheese, yoghurts, eggs and milk today. I didn't do milk. The manager just pulled them into the store and dumped them into the milk fridge for the customers because the cold room is also where the milk fridges are hehe. She loaded a roll cage of cheese, yoghurts and dips and rolled it out and told me to fill. Although the aisle looked reasonably filled, I was quite surprised to find that it wasn't really full. I went through quite a number of boxes! :p I was glad when it was over though, too cold! URGH.

A worrying thing happened to me today. My supervisor got me over to sign an acknowledgement about my register shorts. There was 1 in June last year that was ~$200 short and ~$300 in May this year and I was the only operator on that register. I know for a fact that I have NEVER stolen any money from the registers and I count change and collect cash and count them carefully before receiving or handing it over to the customers. My supervisor told me it's just an acknowledgement and not to stress out over it but I just want to know how come it can come up to like that? I don't really dare to ask her so I'm hoping someone could help me out on this? And I don't think rounding could get up to that huge amount either. Thanks!

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I'm sure they would have known, but it could have been a computer glitch. I remember around the same time (June last year) our systems were constantly displaying all tills 200-300 out, stayed that way for a couple of weeks.

Harry778

HSC
I worked till midnight last night. Boy, do you get some characters at that time of the night. Especially on smoke shop LOL.

Talked with SSS, and she just wanted to know what my plans for the future were with the company and all that sort of stuff. CSM was there too and he went through my appraisal with her and me. He said he was considering putting me into management next year (4IC/3IC I'm guessing?) So it was all good lol. I was freaking out!!!!!!

Doing 1.30-10.30 today..joy. Smoke load is going to be big tonight!

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
im 18 turning 19 next april...do u think i would be old enough? my CSM asked me if i was interested...but i wanna know what the benefits are before i commit myself
You probably would be old enough, though are you full time?

Aren't people doing Certificates paid less though?
Not afaik.

I'm under the impression the Cert II Retail for Woolies takes a couple of days to complete (According to the chart in my staff room). Or is it done over the course of the year? I was thinking of getting it as a vehicle to move up in the supermarket ladder after 3 years on being entry level. Though I was told it's only open to full time employees and uni students may not get in for whatever reason.
From what I know, yes, you're meant to be full-time. And if Cert II is anything like III it's done over a period of time longer than a few days, with assignments etc.

Otacon2009

HSC
Damn. Just need another way to move up.

In other news, as of January 2, stores such as my own and Nightcliff will have their trading hours reduced. Previously, Nightcliff ran from 6am to 12am Monday to Saturday and my store was 7am to 11pm. This is certainly bad news for the drugged derros that come in at night. They will now be expected to complete both their alcohol AND groceries by 10pm

HSC
I worked till midnight last night. Boy, do you get some characters at that time of the night. Especially on smoke shop LOL.

Talked with SSS, and she just wanted to know what my plans for the future were with the company and all that sort of stuff. CSM was there too and he went through my appraisal with her and me. He said he was considering putting me into management next year (4IC/3IC I'm guessing?) So it was all good lol. I was freaking out!!!!!!

Doing 1.30-10.30 today..joy. Smoke load is going to be big tonight!
I knew it would be something like that :p

I left a big nasty note on todays roster saying "PLEASE get the smokeload received during the day, no one rostered on tonight knows how to do it. Honestly, the day supervisor yesterday said it was fairly quiet, surely they could have spared the smokeshop operator for half an hour or however long it takes to receive it. Yet it meant that by the time the DM received it, we had 10 minutes to get 7 boxes away and spot 6 tills. Not good. And they wonder why we don't leave on time...
Anyways, rant over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)