The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

HSC
No, I'm south of the river near the freeway. My store is the closest Woolies to your uni. Man I think I'm so identifiable on here (n.b. My name isn't allannah or anything like it). But then again, even if I hadn't said so much that would identify me, I bet everyone would know I'd be the only worker to come on a Woolworths forum, haha.

It's the area in Perth with the most people from Asia, I don't really know why. (I saw it in the newspaper) There's three good public schools nearby and that's one draw, but some of the suburbs aren't in their zones.

Better than bogans I guess, but the price checking can get quite ferocious at times.
Yes, I know where you are ;) Exactly where you are.

My number one gripe about Woolworths is the nonexistent standardised training for service supervisors.
OMG YES. There is a reason why one of our PT supervisors is amazingly better than me, the other cas sup and our 3IC. I used to think that it was just because she was trained first and had been supervising longer, but now I really think it was something to do with who we were trained by and how we were trained.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Can y'all (actually maybe just service supervisors) see if i've missed any important bits on my supervisor training guide? Kthanx.

HSC
Just my thoughts as I'm reading...

With module 3, you're talking about reports print off. Are they going to have access to Service Manager menu, or (like my store) do your supervisors ALWAYS know the CSM's password?
Just wondering, whats so different about Mon/Wed opens?
I have no idea how to deal with Temp Cheque Customers :p
I would teach/reinforce sorry/glad/sure at the refund stage maybe, just because thats where it comes in a lot of the time.
Fucking love your "being rostered as an operator" idea.

I had something else to add but I completely forgot. Maybe also dealing with ePay, procedures to do with phone credit, because thats something I still don't completely understand.
If your store does the whole "walk the floor" bullshit, maybe a quick list of what it actually entails. Proper floor walking should include cleaning and periodically checking that everyone's got enough bags, etc. Also when to/when not to call express alerts (but I think you've covered that actually, I need to go back to bed).

Good work though. May possibly steal for one of our not so confident newbie supervisors, if thats okay? She really needs to start with step 1, even though she was initially trained last October.

brookie94

HSC
Can y'all (actually maybe just service supervisors) see if i've missed any important bits on my supervisor training guide? Kthanx.
you, good sir, are amazing ;)
haha you have put some effort into this i can tell!!
i may not be a supervisor but al this seems pretty much it from what i can see. make sure you tell them when it is appropriate to call express alerts because some store are very strict on this, not sure about yours.

EDIT: and make sure you teach them about sending operators on breaks, and their own breaks aswell. i seem to remember someone on here had a sup sending people on breaks at the wrong time or something...
ie. when it is appropriate to wait to send an operator on a break and when they must be sent on time, lunches are less flexible, but 10 minutes can wait, well thats in my store anyway

and btw what are some of the other service calls? i know the simple ones eg. 10, 30, 100
what are the other ones?

Last edited:
HSC
OMG cannot believe this slipped my mind.
My store has confirmed they will be rewriting all pt rosters who currently have four hour shifts. ASAP. Apaz my 5.30-9.30 thursday is becoming 5.45-9.30 :S I'm not happy.
Tea breaks for four hours though from next week.

brookie94

HSC
OMG cannot believe this slipped my mind.
My store has confirmed they will be rewriting all pt rosters who currently have four hour shifts. ASAP. Apaz my 5.30-9.30 thursday is becoming 5.45-9.30 :S I'm not happy.
Tea breaks for four hours though from next week.
EWWW thats an icky shift! that would totally mess me up with being on time! lol i hate starting on the half hour coz i get all messed up with timing :p if i start on the hour i know exactly what im doing, and when hahaha. i know this sounds nuts but its completely true

ytrbut

HSC
and btw what are some of the other service calls? i know the simple ones eg. 10, 30, 100
what are the other ones?
Strictly off the top of my head, they could be badly wrong:

Service 10 - Service Supervisor assistance needed
Service 20 - Customer Service assistance needed
Service 30 - Phone call (can sometimes be used as Service 31 = line one, Service 32 = line two, etc.)
Service 40 - Price check
Service 50 - First aid assistance needed
Service 60 - Cleanup
Service 70 - Emergency of some description, only ever heard it used once, to summon the Duty Manager without scaring all the customers
Service 80 - Storeman/Nightfill captain is ready for a bin clearance
Service 90 - ???
Service 100 - Store security required (normally followed by "Section A"/"Section B" if we're trying to catch the person, or "Front of store"/"Aisle 12" if we're just trying to scare them)

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Just my thoughts as I'm reading...

With module 3, you're talking about reports print off. Are they going to have access to Service Manager menu, or (like my store) do your supervisors ALWAYS know the CSM's password?
Just wondering, whats so different about Mon/Wed opens?
I have no idea how to deal with Temp Cheque Customers :p
I would teach/reinforce sorry/glad/sure at the refund stage maybe, just because thats where it comes in a lot of the time.
Fucking love your "being rostered as an operator" idea.

I had something else to add but I completely forgot. Maybe also dealing with ePay, procedures to do with phone credit, because thats something I still don't completely understand.
If your store does the whole "walk the floor" bullshit, maybe a quick list of what it actually entails. Proper floor walking should include cleaning and periodically checking that everyone's got enough bags, etc. Also when to/when not to call express alerts (but I think you've covered that actually, I need to go back to bed).

Good work though. May possibly steal for one of our not so confident newbie supervisors, if thats okay? She really needs to start with step 1, even though she was initially trained last October.
I guess the supervisors without SManager just print out the ones they can? Only CSM/2IC-but-not have it.

On Monday and Wednesday mornings the open supervisor starts at 6 instead of 7 cos they have to get all the old magazines, tear off the covers and then replace with all the new magazines.

Good idea re epay, i will add that. No one at my store really knows how to do it except for me and another supervisor, because for some reason we never have problems. So you ring up epay, give them the auth number, and they cancel it, that's how it goes isn't it? I always used to love ringing them in England and being like "so what time of the day is it there? Gee you guys must be tired". We walk the floor every two minutes by just taking cigarettes to operators, putting baskets back etc cos our store is so small.

Express alerts are covered in module six under "Service 20s and using staff from other departments"

Yes feel free to use it for your newbie supervisor. Where will you say you got it?? A random from Tasmazia?

you, good sir, are amazing ;)
haha you have put some effort into this i can tell!!
i may not be a supervisor but al this seems pretty much it from what i can see. make sure you tell them when it is appropriate to call express alerts because some store are very strict on this, not sure about yours.

EDIT: and make sure you teach them about sending operators on breaks, and their own breaks aswell. i seem to remember someone on here had a sup sending people on breaks at the wrong time or something...
ie. when it is appropriate to wait to send an operator on a break and when they must be sent on time, lunches are less flexible, but 10 minutes can wait, well thats in my store anyway

what are the other ones?
Yes good advice re: breaks, I will include that under time management I think.

brookie94

HSC
On Monday and Wednesday mornings the open supervisor starts at 6 instead of 7 cos they have to get all the old magazines, tear off the covers and then replace with all the new magazines.
we do this on like a sunday night and fill monday morning so it takes less time
We walk the floor every two minutes by just taking cigarettes to operators, putting baskets back etc cos our store is so small.
you can still sell cigarette's through all registers??
its so stupid, we STILL have people who think that we can sell it from any register and its been ages since we could, i mean KEEP UP!! lol

HSC
I guess the supervisors without SManager just print out the ones they can? Only CSM/2IC-but-not have it.

Good idea re epay, i will add that. No one at my store really knows how to do it except for me and another supervisor, because for some reason we never have problems. So you ring up epay, give them the auth number, and they cancel it, that's how it goes isn't it? I always used to love ringing them in England and being like "so what time of the day is it there? Gee you guys must be tired". We walk the floor every two minutes by just taking cigarettes to operators, putting baskets back etc cos our store is so small.

Express alerts are covered in module six under "Service 20s and using staff from other departments"

Yes feel free to use it for your newbie supervisor. Where will you say you got it?? A random from Tasmazia?

Yes good advice re: breaks, I will include that under time management I think.
I'm allright with epay, just my solution is to tell idiot customers who ask for the wrong item is that we won't refund if it has left the store. I also get confused re opening times, especially when there's daylight savings/if its a long weekend etc. I know that sounds retarded, but I was absolutely bewildered to get through to epay a few sundays ago.

Mon/Wed opens make perfect sense, except my store just adds that to our pile of stuff to do during the day :(

And I'm not going to explicitely go though everything with her, she's been trained, I don't want to insult her intelligence. Its just that we're doing Thursdays without a manager for the next month, so she needs to be confident enough to run everything when I'm on breaks/spotchecking/otherwise busy. I just kind of feel for her, she hasn't been given ANY opportunity yet apart from when I've been with her, she hasn't yet been left in charge for any more than 15 minutes by herself (well there was one night where we let her run the floor by herself but our 2IC was around and probably intervening where it was unneccessary).

I can't remember if you've already got this, but dealing with faulty gift cards? This just proves that there is SO MUCH that cannot be taught simply by going through the supervision menu.

brookie94

HSC
I can't remember if you've already got this, but dealing with faulty gift cards? This just proves that there is SO MUCH that cannot be taught simply by going through the supervision menu.
good thinking...
oh and how about who to call for what purpose? for example if on of those personal alarm things is set off or other random things that they know who to call if they are running the floor and have no one to ask.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
This just proved that THERE SHOULD BE A NATIONWIDE STANDARDISED TRAINING FOR SUPERVISORS. But yes.

Ummm how do you deal with faulty gift cards? i remember coming across this last year and basically being like "here other supervisor you deal with this, i'll wait by the phone, it might ring" Once my old 3IC did a manual for it, but that equals lots of effort.

You have to do mags during da day? But doesn't that mean that last weeks magazines are still sitting out during trade, and that new ones aren't on sale?

HSC
This just proved that THERE SHOULD BE A NATIONWIDE STANDARDISED TRAINING FOR SUPERVISORS. But yes.

Ummm how do you deal with faulty gift cards? i remember coming across this last year and basically being like "here other supervisor you deal with this, i'll wait by the phone, it might ring" Once my old 3IC did a manual for it, but that equals lots of effort.

You have to do mags during da day? But doesn't that mean that last weeks magazines are still sitting out during trade, and that new ones aren't on sale?
Gift cards: Do a giftcard enquiry, make sure it has value on it, then go into Storenet, Wish Gift Cards, Gift Card Management, type in the card number, report it as damaged, then grab another gift card, type the NEW card number in. That should transfer the balance, then give the customer the new card.

I think.

Mags, yes, sit out until about 2ish on Mon/Wed before they even start getting dealt with. Its one of my least fave jobs (behind smoke load).

Whatever happened to the YRYR Service Supervisor module? My CSM still has her training booklets, but they're pre-wowpos and therefore pretty redundant.

brookie94

HSC
Gift cards: Do a giftcard enquiry, make sure it has value on it, then go into Storenet, Wish Gift Cards, Gift Card Management, type in the card number, report it as damaged, then grab another gift card, type the NEW card number in. That should transfer the balance, then give the customer the new card.

I think.

Mags, yes, sit out until about 2ish on Mon/Wed before they even start getting dealt with. Its one of my least fave jobs (behind smoke load).

Whatever happened to the YRYR Service Supervisor module? My CSM still has her training booklets, but they're pre-wowpos and therefore pretty redundant.
our mags are ripped up on sunday night, new ones put out by 7.30 monday morning lol i love ripping them up, gets me out of serving for a while ;)

in the lunchroom i was looking at this chart that had "pathways" lol and it had like cahsier, supervisor, 2ic, 3is, CSM blah blah blah and it had YRYR supervisor training so i thought that there was a standardised training but obviously not
maybe an idea for "spotlight"???
by the way way is it call your role, your responsibility? lol your being trained for the role so you cant have much responsibility yet...

Otacon2009

HSC
If I'm told my hours are not compatible for one department but they are looking at other departments, do they mean it? So far I've had two interviews and the sticking point is my availabilities, which until June 2 I can't do anything about.

PyroTek

HSC
Area manager came in today. What an awesome dude. He's the kind of person who talks to you as a human being, and clearly isn't arrogant and doesn't think of himself being better than the average shop assistant. :) - That, my friends, is how you gain respect.

jirwin

HSC
EWWW thats an icky shift! that would totally mess me up with being on time! lol i hate starting on the half hour coz i get all messed up with timing :p if i start on the hour i know exactly what im doing, and when hahaha. i know this sounds nuts but its completely true
You would hate my Coles store then. Next Sunday I'm working 2.45pm - 6.15pm (3.5hrs)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Strictly off the top of my head, they could be badly wrong:

Service 10 - Service Supervisor assistance needed
Service 20 - Customer Service assistance needed
Service 30 - Phone call (can sometimes be used as Service 31 = line one, Service 32 = line two, etc.)
Service 40 - Price check
Service 50 - First aid assistance needed
Service 60 - Cleanup
Service 70 - Emergency of some description, only ever heard it used once, to summon the Duty Manager without scaring all the customers
Service 80 - Storeman/Nightfill captain is ready for a bin clearance
Service 90 - ???
Service 100 - Store security required (normally followed by "Section A"/"Section B" if we're trying to catch the person, or "Front of store"/"Aisle 12" if we're just trying to scare them)
Service 90 is used for phone calls that must only be taken by a manager (again, service 91, 92 etc)

Service 50 WAS pickup required on register xx, but apparently this is not used anymore and replaced with first aid.
We still only use service 100 for First aid though.
Serivce 70 - Evacuation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)