The Woolworths Thread (4 Viewers)

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Boy is my store manager going to love me. Our competition supermarket is building a complete new one, which will be bigger than our store but no body knows more than that. But it pays when you have a parent who is doing a tender for their communications, and it's also handy when you see the plans :D

So I now know how many aisles, checkouts, how many offices they have, when the store will be open...heck I even know where their plant room will be. It was actually pretty interesting, when it opens it will definitely carve into our sales, because at the moment it is a hole, probably 1/2 the size of us at the moment, and from what I can tell it is going to be 4 x the size of it's current building, so you do the math :p

My Dad is going to try and get me in there, because as much as I prefer working for a national company (this store is franchise), I think I would HATE working in the smallest supermarket in the town. Especially when it comes to wage cuts.

Last edited:
HSC
Just finished my first close....

God. Im exhausted and hopefully I did O.K. Im really scared that I fucked everything up - but what do they expect from someone who has NEVER done a close before!?

Anyways, some details of the evening: cash office closed 1hr early tonight (???) anyway, so my schedule was fucked up, and I was trying to get draws done etc but the pickups hadn't been counted, but she was doing other things and OMG!!!!Everytime I counted a register from 6-8, a pickup hadn't been counted, so the draw was out by heaps :(. very annoying.

Anyway, so many people signed off a little late. I think I am going to get raped for that, but I did try my best, and for me, who has never been back later at that store then 9:15, I think I did an alright job for a midnight close. *crosses fingers*
I'm sure you did fine :)

I understand what you mean about cash office staff though, we have one girl (coincidentally the one who is somewhat supervision trained) who is AMAZING. If she calls for change orders, its done. If she calls for pickups, they're done straight away, with a phone call at the end to let us know. The other PT SSA is not too bad either, just on Thursdays we can't really start counting draws until about 45 minutes before close, when the pickup will have been sent an hour and a half beforehand. The day staff though, call for a pickup at regular intervals, but leave it for an hour before starting it. Annoying.

As a supervisor though, you need to be firm with the cash office staff, but remember it works the other way too.

I am so glad I'm not working today. Between our already forecasted unders, two sickies (called yesterday) and a resignation, we're down five between 10 and 5. Pretty much no way any of that can be replaced. And lets presume there's at least one more sickie/no show. I've already had the SM, SSM and SSO were pleading with me to work today. I must be amazing ;)

My CSM got told that she had to work (its her short week), and she wasn't impressed. She'd done 10.30-9.30 Thursday, 6-5.30 yesterday, and now 7-5.30 today. When I came in yesterday, she was really apologetic for her bad mood, and even told me I'd done a really good job of running the floor (while she was on a main) on Thursday night :speechless:. Almost died.

By the way, I had so much fun in smokeshop yesterday, once I got over the shock of how expensive everything was. Its funny how everyone has an opinion on the government these days ;)

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
i dont really get the change.. so its people who have a Visa/Mastercard Debit Card - but instead of pushing chq/sav they press credit and sign for it? pretty stupid move by woolworths
No, they can't push Credit anymore, only Chq/Sav, as if the customers push Credit Woolies has to wear the cost of the transaction (saving the banks money). Someone already explained this, but I cbf reading the last 8 pages of posts.

ANYWAY I only worked 2.5 days this week as I hurt myself at work, fun fun fun. It was starting to feel a bit better yesterday, but OMG I am in pain this morning. Started up on the codeine already, I'll take some Voltaren once I eat something. This shit is LAME.

Also on Monday I am only allowed to do office work with ABSOLUTELY no standing, lol. Guess who will probably get stuck with breaking up the tickets or some such.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
My CSM got told that she had to work (its her short week), and she wasn't impressed. She'd done 10.30-9.30 Thursday, 6-5.30 yesterday, and now 7-5.30 today. When I came in yesterday, she was really apologetic for her bad mood, and even told me I'd done a really good job of running the floor (while she was on a main) on Thursday night :speechless:. Almost died
As a CSM though she should kind of expect it. Our CSM does 5 10-12 hour days a week AND we are a small store. I think Checkouts would be the worst department in the store to manage.

She must have pulled at least a 14 hour day on Thursday before Good Friday. She was there at 6 and still there at 8pm. I really feel for her though because she is salaried, so those extra hours are purely 'for love'

brookie94

HSC
My CSM got told that she had to work (its her short week), and she wasn't impressed. She'd done 10.30-9.30 Thursday, 6-5.30 yesterday, and now 7-5.30 today. When I came in yesterday, she was really apologetic for her bad mood, and even told me I'd done a really good job of running the floor (while she was on a main) on Thursday night :speechless:. Almost died.
HAHAHA your CSM is lazyyyy :p ours does like 5 days a week every week!! and everyone of them is like 9 hrs but she only gets paid for 8 no matter how many more she does.

By the way, I had so much fun in smokeshop yesterday, once I got over the shock of how expensive everything was. Its funny how everyone has an opinion on the government these days ;)
:O JESS!! i knew you could do a good job!! :) you really are amazing ;)

It was starting to feel a bit better yesterday, but OMG I am in pain this morning. Started up on the codeine already, I'll take some Voltaren once I eat something. This shit is LAME.

Also on Monday I am only allowed to do office work with ABSOLUTELY no standing, lol. Guess who will probably get stuck with breaking up the tickets or some such.
awww! hope you feel better again soon love! drug your self up and resttttt!

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Lol, you should all tell your CSMs to pull their fingers out and actually work for their money.
CSM at my store does at least 11 or 12 hours, 5 days a week, often more than 12 hours.

Also yay lol I'm now arguing with my mother. Apparently I'm "grumpy at her".
I'm like yeah well of course I'm fucking grumpy every time you come in to my room.
1) I AM IN PAIN.
And then.
You fucking either pat or sit on my fucking legs, which are killing me to begin with. You're force feeding me, and you're acting as if you care when you know you fucking don't.

I think I need to get out of the house :eek:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Wow you gave a 6 carton limit? We were more harsh with a 3 carton limit.
CoreComms we received (we're a NSW store in region 7) had a 5 carton limit, but pretty sure some supervisors refused more than one carton/customer :uhoh:

I was proud to have purchased the last carton of ANY Winfield variety lol

HSC
As a CSM though she should kind of expect it. Our CSM does 5 10-12 hour days a week AND we are a small store. I think Checkouts would be the worst department in the store to manage.

She must have pulled at least a 14 hour day on Thursday before Good Friday. She was there at 6 and still there at 8pm. I really feel for her though because she is salaried, so those extra hours are purely 'for love'

HAHAHA your CSM is lazyyyy :p ours does like 5 days a week every week!! and everyone of them is like 9 hrs but she only gets paid for 8 no matter how many more she does.
In addition to 8.30-7 on Tues and 8.30-6.30 Wed. They normally rotate between a 6/4 roster. So she's done 6/5 this fortnight. I agree that being a salaried manager it is to be expected though.

It was only a month or two ago that we got about 8-10 newbies, and we're already talking about needing more. Especially close on Thursdays, I'm offended that noone wants to do them with me :p

HSC
CoreComms we received (we're a NSW store in region 7) had a 5 carton limit, but pretty sure some supervisors refused more than one carton/customer :uhoh:

I was proud to have purchased the last carton of ANY Winfield variety lol
Our LLM bought every single packet of Longbeach Blue left at close. She'd already bought her 6 cartons from three different stores on her way to work. (Someone had never been so grateful to a) be starting at 12.30, and b) have a Perishables manager that loves her enough to inform her of the price hikes)
In the end she had 18 cartons + 3 40's, 5 30's and a carton of 20's.

brookie94

HSC
It was only a month or two ago that we got about 8-10 newbies, and we're already talking about needing more. Especially close on Thursdays, I'm offended that noone wants to do them with me :p
wow! 8 or 10 newbie?!? When I was hired there was 3 for checkouts and THAT was hard enough for the spvr. that trained us lol. I think our store needs to hire a few more but having said that, I like it the way it is now lol coz we fit in now but we still have the leeway to make mistakes coz we are still the newest :p

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I think CSMs can also be the most unappreciated department managers, mainly because they're always stealing interdepartmental staff. One day at my old store I had some techincal problem and neither the SM or Groc 2IC could help so i was like "maybe I should call CSM?" and they're both like "Yeah she could actually do some work for a change etc etc" and i was SO offended! She was by far the best CSM I've ever had and always pulled 40-50 hr weeks without fail.

I went home sick for only the second time in my life yesterday. I was meant to work til 9.15 but went home at about five, which was great because I was projectile vomiting by about 7. I have never projectiled before, it was amazing. I was meant to be doing 7-4 today, but now i have diarrhea. It was my last Saturday open though so I'm a bit pissed that I'll miss it, I heart opens.

kevin94

HSC
Are there any males here that are working as a cashier, there primary job???
I'm thinking of doing it but not sure because most girls do it.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Oh yeah I remember that question. Don't be absolutely ridiculous. At my old store with was probably a 60/40 gender ratio of service cashiers, in favour of females. Completely unremarkable and inconsequential.

HSC
Like I said, a few Sundays ago, my express lanes, smokeshop, and all but one main were all males. I mean thats certainly not always the case, but you aren't going to stick out like a sore thumb.

Also, I really don't want to portray my CSM as being lazy etc. Her people skills might suck, but she does do 40+ hour weeks every week, I think she more had an issue yesterday because she'd done close on Thursday, open yesterday (earlier than usual because of the price changes in smokeshop) and is going to have to do 7-6 every day next week because our 2IC is on holidays.
Besides, its not as if she can rely on either our 2IC or 3IC. Yesterday she admitted she'd rather leave me in charge than our 3IC. There are some serious issues there if thats the case.

kevin94

HSC
Oh yeah I remember that question. Don't be absolutely ridiculous. At my old store with was probably a 60/40 gender ratio of service cashiers, in favour of females. Completely unremarkable and inconsequential.
ok sorry for being repitive.
I just really need to find the "right" job that can suit me and I want to go into a lot of research first instead of just going into it and not liking what im doing. I wanna be at one place until i finish uni.

Anyways thanks.

Last edited:
HSC
ok sorry for being repitive.
I just really need to find the "right" job that can suit me and I want to go into a lot of research first instead of just going into and not like what im doing.

Anyways thanks.
It is an entry level job, its not as if you will be there for life.
Besides, if you don't like what you are doing, quit. Its not hard.

example.

Dear x
The job sucks and I never want to come back. Hence my resignation.
From, me.

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I'll have to agree with CSM's being the most under appreciated, and probably the hardest worked too. I'd like to see any Store Manager be a CSM for a month - they'd probably give in within the first day. (I know mine would)

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
60/40?! omg.

At my store we have 4-6 pages of rosters for front end, and there are 2 older men who work on checkouts (it's their second job, supporting either their families or to help sponsor their families coming from overseas) and one school aged guy who works weekends mostly. That's it for guys.

HSC
60/40?! omg.

At my store we have 4-6 pages of rosters for front end, and there are 2 older men who work on checkouts (it's their second job, supporting either their families or to help sponsor their families coming from overseas) and one school aged guy who works weekends mostly. That's it for guys.
REALLY?

We have one guy who works 10-2 Mon/Wed/Fri, then another older casual who picks up shifts wherever and whenever (also does Homeshop), and a uni student aged guy who works during the week and weekends (also does Perishables, but I'm fairly sure Grocery want him). Then about four school aged guys who do thurs/sat/sun ONLY on checkouts, then two more who rotate between checkouts and back dock/grocery.

I think I'm missing some though. Thats on say 4 pages of f/e rosters, but once you take out all the people who are on prolonged maternity leave/sick leave/i cbf working/actually never work checkouts [ie our seafood 2IC is still on f/e rosters] etc etc, it comes down to say 3.

Of those 8 though, all but two have been working with us for a decent amount of time (say around 1.5 years minimum).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)