The Woolworths Thread (19 Viewers)

terminator69

HSC
We have invested in several energy efficiency projects across our business to reduce our carbon footprint and the carbon price impact. These include measures such as doors on island freezers, LED lights and green stores.
That is a good initiative. I don't have island freezers in my local Woolworths but I do hate any kind of open fridge due to its energy wastage.

Btw do any Woolworths Supermarkets/Big W etc. employees here actually see the sheet of plastic rolled down over the open drink fridges near the checkouts? I didn't even know there was a plastic covering function of those fridges until I had a new manager at my Big W store who closed them all. All they do is seal off the open fridge to keep more cool air in so the fridge doesn't have to be constantly pumping out cool air, which is especially useful if there are no customers in the store to benefit from the open availability of drinks. Thus you close them off after the store is closed and open them just before trading the next day. Although I have a feeling that no one actually does it.

Jolyon

HSC
That is a good initiative. I don't have island freezers in my local Woolworths but I do hate any kind of open fridge due to its energy wastage.

Btw do any Woolworths Supermarkets/Big W etc. employees here actually see the sheet of plastic rolled down over the open drink fridges near the checkouts? I didn't even know there was a plastic covering function of those fridges until I had a new manager at my Big W store who closed them all. All they do is seal off the open fridge to keep more cool air in so the fridge doesn't have to be constantly pumping out cool air, which is especially useful if there are no customers in the store to benefit from the open availability of drinks. Thus you close them off after the store is closed and open them just before trading the next day. Although I have a feeling that no one actually does it.
All our open fridges have that. I think most Woolworth stores have had them installed. Even the older ones

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I don't think any of ours do that, and we have one large drinks fridge which is especially new. Hmmmm, is it hidden up in the top of it maybe? I'll have a look next time I go into work.

terminator69

HSC
I don't think any of ours do that, and we have one large drinks fridge which is especially new. Hmmmm, is it hidden up in the top of it maybe? I'll have a look next time I go into work.
Yeah, just have a bit of a fiddle around the top. My Big W ones pull up from the bottom and are transparent, but my local Woolies one that I was playing around with pulls down from the top and the cover is a creamy opaque colour.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
THOSE LUCKY FUCKS
But seriously, I am actually impressed at how Woolworths is improving the experience for it's employees. AllYours, epayslips, online rosters, you name it... It's fantastic in my opinion.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Interesting article you found, iMathew...
Since I started working in Liquor a few weeks ago I've had to be especially careful of thieves posing as customers. We had a $250 bottle stolen on the opening week.
Luckily, I wasn't on at the time. :D

In other news.. found out last night from my DM that A Currant Affair would be filming today in my store. We're featuring in a story comparing online shopping vs. brick & mortar stores.
TBH I can't understand why my store, all the way in Berwick VIC, was chosen?? It's been almost two years since we've had a refurb, and the stores getting pretty ferrel.
I'm told there was a mad rush to roster extra staff on.

Has anyone here been upgraded to the 2015 format yet?
All we know is we're getting a mini refurb (5 weeks), which will upgrade the home and beauty isle, strip the vinyl floor (??) and finish anything that wasn't completed two years ago.
Our registers weren't replaced last time, but capped/covered/painted. Really shabby job, they're constantly breaking/ falling apart. I doubt the company are willing to part with more money to fix them.

bouncingCats

HSC
woahhh, just noticed a new link on AllYours - rosters!!!
but i get the message:

So, anyone here from region 7? ;)
I'm in Region 7 and just had a look on AllYours... Rosters are online! (Well, only this week and next weeks) They are downloadable as PDFs and there are three available (this week, next week and next fortnight). The website also advises that employees re-check rosters for any changes to "next week" or "next fortnight" rosters. The PDFs shows all employee shifts by departments and shows employees by payroll number within their depts.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
All we know is we're getting a mini refurb (5 weeks), which will upgrade the home and beauty isle, strip the vinyl floor (??) and finish anything that wasn't completed two years ago.
Our registers weren't replaced last time, but capped/covered/painted. Really shabby job, they're constantly breaking/ falling apart. I doubt the company are willing to part with more money to fix them.
We are also getting that health and beauty refurb. We have the 2010 refurb just like you (by the sounds of it), except ours was done properly including new registers. I got to work the other day and the lighting in health and beauty was different, i stopped and went 0.o :\. Nothing has been done as of yet though.

....i'm guessing it will be what was in that article.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Hahhaha, speak of refurb, I just got called in tomorrow to help out ^^
Nice. I was called yesterday asking if I could work 5:15-10:15 every Wednesday and Friday night for the next 5 weeks. We normally close at midnight and I do closes twice a week. Usually dead after about 9pm, and the nearest Coles closes at 10 anyway. Doubt we'll lose many sales.
It would be nice if we got new registers. However I like the extra space the old registers have where you put the bags after you've packed them. The newer 2010 ones are very small. Not great if you get a customer with a massive trolley.:frown2:

quick90

HSC
We have invested in several energy efficiency projects across our business to reduce our carbon footprint and the carbon price impact. These include measures such as doors on island freezers, LED lights and green stores.
We turn our lunchroom microwave off at the wall?

nanakid12

HSC
Off-topic, but did any of you know that you can activate a mobile phone/SIM card from the registers instead of just at the workstation? Something someone told me the other night...

You go SVR Menu, then -> arrow, then its something like "Online Checks", then "Telco Check". It then loads a browser, the same way as the produce test. You don't even need to sign-in with your Citrix login, it just loads the form. But it took about a minute to load, so thats the only drawback.

We turn our lunchroom microwave off at the wall?
Hahaha

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Off-topic, but did any of you know that you can activate a mobile phone/SIM card from the registers instead of just at the workstation? Something someone told me the other night...

You go SVR Menu, then -> arrow, then its something like "Online Checks", then "Telco Check". It then loads a browser, the same way as the produce test. You don't even need to sign-in with your Citrix login, it just loads the form. But it took about a minute to load, so thats the only drawback.
I have been doing this for as long as I can remember :p. NOBODY at my store knew you could do it, I introduced it and feel so proud :p
This was discussed back in the day when BOS was active. It's pretty teh awesome.

nanakid12

HSC
I have been doing this for as long as I can remember :p. NOBODY at my store knew you could do it, I introduced it and feel so proud :p
This was discussed back in the day when BOS was active. It's pretty teh awesome.
Oh... well don't I feel stupid now. Haha :p

nanakid12

HSC
Haha yeah but oh well.

BTW you might be able to help me with something. When you are selling a phone, what is the ID required? We require photo ID and most people just present their driver's license, but what about a Proof of Age 18+ card, or student ID which doesn't have their residential address on it? What types of ID are acceptable?

I couldnt find anything on storenet thats all...

EDIT: Also, you dont need any additional logins for that phone activation form on the registers do you? Like no citrix thingo or anything?

Last edited:

bensneddon

HSC
I'm in Region 7 and just had a look on AllYours... Rosters are online! (Well, only this week and next weeks) They are downloadable as PDFs and there are three available (this week, next week and next fortnight). The website also advises that employees re-check rosters for any changes to "next week" or "next fortnight" rosters. The PDFs shows all employee shifts by departments and shows employees by payroll number within their depts.
Pics please!! Can you see everyones shifts, or just your own?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Haha yeah but oh well.

BTW you might be able to help me with something. When you are selling a phone, what is the ID required? We require photo ID and most people just present their driver's license, but what about a Proof of Age 18+ card, or student ID which doesn't have their residential address on it? What types of ID are acceptable?

I couldnt find anything on storenet thats all...

EDIT: Also, you dont need any additional logins for that phone activation form on the registers do you? Like no citrix thingo or anything?
Nope, you just wait for it to load, enter details and press submit.
The customer must produce a valid form of ID that has their current residential address on it.
These are drivers license or proof of age cards (as long as the address is listed, and a photo obviously). School ID's are not a legal form of ID and can't be accepted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)