The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

bensneddon

HSC
A couple of other quirky initiatives that you may not have seen in your store yet are being rolled out. There will now be a big black stand at the front of the store (similar to the new "produce specials" one) which will list the store manager, the manager on duty (ie. the SM when he's there or otherwise the ASM/LM/Duty Manager) and the customer service manager on duty (CSM or the supervisor). Quite a revolutionary change from a company which only seems to recently been getting on the forward-facing accountability bandwagon at a store level.
Yes, I can't wait to have my name and photo on there... ;-)

BSammy

HSC
The black manager supervisor board sounds awesome. looking forward to that.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Hey guys can I ask for help

As you know I work for BIG W I am a recovery person (Lame I know)

Anyway my boss said in a few weeks she will train me on the registers with her.

Any advice to really impress?

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Also, my SM was spotted with a WW manager and another guy carrying tape measure and what looked like a store plan surveying the produce dept yesterday. later on I overheard them discussing aisle ends and whether or not "to get the new ones in". Refit??? I woukd be very surprised if that's the case as our store has 2010 format and not looking that shabby, however a refit would be still welcome nonetheless :tongue2:
Very likely. As I mentioned a few pages back, my store in Melbourne's South East has only been a 2010 store for less than 24 months. The vinyl floors are badly scratched, but most of the store is still in good condition.

I was kind of hoping for new registers as ours were only covered last reno. The produce section is now in 2015 format, the produce bags are different too. The biggest change so far is repainting in cream/white. So it's much brighter now.

There's still two weeks to go. Hoping to get the new health&beauty isle.

Jolyon

HSC
Hmm thats interesting.. thanks for that. I also noticed the other day that half of our sign on the outside of the centre is missing (we still have the old logo/signage.)
Our registers only got the cover up treatment last time too, they are falling apart now (especially the slide out bits in the 'bagging area')

Out of interest did you get the whole new front end layout (new smokeshop/service desk, express attached to service desk, SCO on the opposite side to express etc.)?? We had the attached express, then in the 2010 reno we got them detached and I'd be interested to know if they would be changed back to attached again...

re: health & beauty, some stores in WA are being retrofitted with the new H&B aisle, even if they aren't getting a refit, so I'd assume you'd definitely be getting that..
Every store regardless if you are getting a refurb or not is getting the new Health and Beauty isles as for the 2015 refit our store has it and the tills in the new express are the worst. They are the "pop up open" ones and are way to small for my fingers to get in. A nightmare. But the new smoke shop draws are the best idea ever.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Hey iMathew, do you do rego??\

I am moving from Reocevery to Cash Registers soon, any advice?
Well there isn't a great deal to it, any half brain dead person could pick it up. I'm not sure how little WOWPOS differs at Big W, but there is the scanning (sale mode), then you press "enter" and that is the payment (tender mode). You will focus on two buttons "Cash" and "EFT".

Cash is simple, hit the button, and just press whatever the customer gives you, the first option will always be the exact amount. If I need to pay $30.04, and I give you a $50, simply hit the "$50" button and it will tell you how much change to give.
The same goes for odd amounts, you can "Key amount" and type in how much the customer gives you.

EFT is also simple, the first amount will be exact, then it goes generally by $10, $20, $50, $100 cash out. Key amount is the same, and can be used to 'round up'/'total' or cash out.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Well there isn't a great deal to it, any half brain dead person could pick it up. I'm not sure how little WOWPOS differs at Big W, but there is the scanning (sale mode), then you press "enter" and that is the payment (tender mode). You will focus on two buttons "Cash" and "EFT".

Cash is simple, hit the button, and just press whatever the customer gives you, the first option will always be the exact amount. If I need to pay $30.04, and I give you a $50, simply hit the "$50" button and it will tell you how much change to give.
The same goes for odd amounts, you can "Key amount" and type in how much the customer gives you.

EFT is also simple, the first amount will be exact, then it goes generally by $10, $20, $50, $100 cash out. Key amount is the same, and can be used to 'round up'/'total' or cash out.
yay.

My boss said she would rather me work in Rego than home entertainment so I have some base training :(

I plan to get trainned everywhere!

Jolyon

HSC
YOu know the self serve.

Do you get asked to do that or?
Self Serve if actually quite easy when it comes to the basics of it. A little more difficult when you come to fixing other problems but really you just make sure things goes smoothly and that customers scan each item. If it calls you over for any reason you just check to see if the items they scanned are what is in the bagging area and let them continue on.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Exactly, and self serve is even easier at Big W cause you have those uber cool awesome podiums where you can remotely fix shit, right? :p

#doeswant

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Did you ask to do self serve, or did you get asked?

my shift rego shift will be in a few weeks, and I am very excited considering I won't be doing recovery anymore!! Great thing is that I would do it on thursday, Saturday and Sunday so my school work will be all good.

nanakid12

HSC
The iPhone app is brilliant. I was pretty skeptical when I heard about it and had the training come through, but it actually works really well.
Yes!! I got the iPhone app yesterday, I love that it shows your specials that are supposed to be emailed to me, but I never get. Now I can just use my phone and check what specials I gots to redeem!! HUZZAH!!!

A couple of other quirky initiatives that you may not have seen in your store yet are being rolled out. There will now be a big black stand at the front of the store (similar to the new "produce specials" one) which will list the store manager, the manager on duty (ie. the SM when he's there or otherwise the ASM/LM/Duty Manager) and the customer service manager on duty (CSM or the supervisor).
Will this be in every store or just the bigger stores? Cause I is a supermavisor and I ama wanting my picture out the front there when I'm a supermavising haha sorry.

haha I love the training for it!
Q: "will the iPhone app affect Mystery shopper reports?"
A: "no, we still want to provide exceptional customer service blah blah blah"

Q: "can we use our iPhones instore to locate products?"
A: "no, you can not carry your iPhone with you, however you may use the app at home for training purposes."
LOL.

Also, does anyone else have to wear different clothes every Friday and Saturday for the next few weeks? Our store, and couple of others in the area have been "mixing it up a bit" with our uniforms and we can't wear our uniform- has to be in theme with the weekend. Last week it was Hawaiian, this week it was Flanalette shirt & jeans, next week its Pijamas. Haha :)
Cant wait!!

Last edited:

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Out of interest did you get the whole new front end layout (new smokeshop/service desk, express attached to service desk, SCO on the opposite side to express etc.)??
Our old service desk was in the weirdest place. It was right down the end near isle 12, and could not be seen from the front of the store. Two express registers and about four full-lane registers were removed for self serve and our new service desk during the last reno in 09.

We got an extra register down the end which became register 13 for the annoying operators. It had more space between the belt and the bags, and less room to put the bagged groceries.

However, my biggest complaint about the last reno is that it wasn't completed properly. Reg 13 was missing two screws near the scanner that holds the touchscreen to the register itself, so when you spot check it would rock back a forth. They removed this register a couple of months ago when the crappy two dollar store next to the supermarket became the liquor dept. They needed space for the cool room door. :)

Also, since the last reno we've had screws, pieces of steel, you-name-it come off the registers and many things missing. The LEDs and fluros above our current personal care isle has been switched off for now. I'd take it that means work is nearly underway. Hopefully the contractors finish the job this time.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Can't remember off the top of my head.
I do find it interesting that Woolworths chose to go with Visa PayWave when they already have some-what of an alliance with MasterCard (used in WOW credit cards). Would have thought they would have went MasterCard PayPass.

terminator69

HSC
my shift rego shift will be in a few weeks, and I am very excited considering I won't be doing recovery anymore!! Great thing is that I would do it on thursday, Saturday and Sunday so my school work will be all good.
You switch to checkouts and don't do recovery anymore? That's weird. I've alternating between both all year but less recovery lately because many people went onto contract for recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)