• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (10 Viewers)

spilla2003

HSC
So no one knows anything about being a nightfill captain?
Don't do it.

All nightfill/"replenisment" team managers usually work a 40+ hour week, and most are on salaries. If they were to hire a p/t manager, they'd probably need to hire another to make up the other 20 hours a week, in addition to the 2IC.

Start as a nightfiller, and work your way up to 3IC/2IC. You'll get as many hours you want, and not much responsibility. :)

bourne531

HSC
N/A
Don't do it.

All nightfill/"replenisment" team managers usually work a 40+ hour week, and most are on salaries. If they were to hire a p/t manager, they'd probably need to hire another to make up the other 20 hours a week, in addition to the 2IC.

Start as a nightfiller, and work your way up to 3IC/2IC. You'll get as many hours you want, and not much responsibility. :)
Thanks, I have been offered a p/t nightfill captain job 25-30 hours p/w, I have been a nightfiller for 3 months. The current nightfill captain is moving up to p/t duty manager and 1 nightfill captain shift a week to make f/t hours.

I was just wondering what people think about being a nightfill captain.

britto89

HSC
So no one knows anything about being a nightfill captain?
Nightfill captain since its salary most of the time also means compulsory public holidays. This isn't much of an issue for day based salary work but could prove quite annoying if you end up working christmas eve, boxing day, new years eye, etc. Well you get the story. You also have a really strict budget and always seem to get the blame for everything going wrong.

Last edited:

spilla2003

HSC
Spot on with that. Our longlife manager was crying (literally) one morning, screaming, "THIS IS ALL THE SHIT HE LEAVES ME EVERY NIGHT!!"
I was ready to murder our nightfill manager on Thursday.

But who else are we supposed to blame? They're the only ones that aren't there during the day, so they can't fight back. :)

britto89

HSC
What sort of jobs would a storeman do,apart from accepting deliveries?
- Empty/change the baler
- Process paperwork for deliveries
- Deal with IBTs
- Tidy the storeroom area (including sorting out the expenses that have come in on the previous nights load, stacking pallets, etc.)
- Process vendor credits for returned damaged appliances
- Process damaged/loose stock. Mark down what can be, sort what can be donated and what has to be tossed out, returned to shelves, etc.
- Process damaged clip strip stock (McPherson's Consumer) claims
- Process milk and egg claims (not every day but a couple of times a week)
- Perform forklift/electric pallet jack inspections. Perhaps top the batteries up if required

Other jobs I could see fitting the role would be to sort out magazine and DVD returns as I think everything going in our out of the inventory should be processed via the storeman or a register

-Britto

BSammy

HSC
I didn't see any. When was it?

I had Sun Mon off. Was supposed to have Tue off, but but they called me, and I'm weak.

nanakid12

HSC
@spilla haha well that's true. My store is so full of drama at the moment with stuff like that. But that's all long life stuff which I don't know a whole lot about and try to distance myself as far as possible from.

But I can talk about front end drama! I went away on holidays last week, and so had a few others which lead to a shortage of supervisors, so they had to use operators who werent trained and didnt have great knowledge of it to do breaks and stuff. This 16 year old kid was gutted that they hadn't chosen him, but instead opted for the full-time 65 year old checkout operator to do someone's hour lunchbreak. He was so shitty for the rest of her shift (or so I hear).

Unrelated note, our store's second ever manager has left. There is a kid who works at our store who bludges and takes forever to do anything, so the manager got on the pa and said (on a busy saturday afternoon, which was his last day at our store) "*kid* can you please bring ice down to the front freezer... TODAY!"
even cracked the customers up, apparently.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I would love to know when Project Evolution is going ahead at our store.
We've had the new RF antennae installed throughout the store, but NO new phones, handsets or anything. I can't confirm if our internet connection has been upgraded because some days it's as slow as dog shit and some days it feels fast (faster than pre-Evolution days).
The service phone is fucking up now too, so I hope we get it really soon.

Anybody have any updates? Any of your stores got the new phones or no?

bensneddon

HSC
We've had the new RF antennae installed throughout the store, but NO new phones, handsets or anything. I can't confirm if our internet connection has been upgraded because some days it's as slow as dog shit and some days it feels fast (faster than pre-Evolution days).

The last I heard, the project was on hold...

Jolyon

HSC

Our store recently got those head set phones. It is hilarious seeing the managers walk around with a head set on haha

nanakid12

HSC
Oh my god, I knew this would happen. Why, do you know? I'll cry if it get's cancelled.
I don't reckon it'll be cancelled. Its sort of like the refurbishment. Our store would be last to get it though; we haven't even been refurbished yet.

Our store recently got those head set phones. It is hilarious seeing the managers walk around with a head set on haha
Haha, wut?! HEADSET PHONES?! I've got an image of this manager walking around with a massive chunky headset on, secretly headbanging to tunes while he's working. Do they plug into the portables, or are they just like a standalone phone?

Jolyon

HSC
Haha, wut?! HEADSET PHONES?! I've got an image of this manager walking around with a massive chunky headset on, secretly headbanging to tunes while he's working. Do they plug into the portables, or are they just like a standalone phone?
I think they connect wireless to the handheld phones. They mean our managers can have their chit chats and use there hands at the same time really.

missnikki84

HSC
:confused: Question...
ive been working for woolies for 13yrs, i hav worked in a variety of positions including Cash office assistant, bakery 2ic and shop assistant (changed depts from time to time). I am also the "safety team" manager and have been considered versatile and an asset to the company by many store managers..

At the moment my FULLTIME roster is spread across four different departments with a variety of mixed hours. some days i start early morning (5am) where some days i start mid morning (10am) and some not till the afternoon (1pm)..
Obviously i am literally all over the place, as my roster and the departments are.
I have been working this NEW roster for a little under a year and it has certainly taken a toll on me physically and mentally. My sleeping patterns are messed up, i'm tired all the time,
:sleep:i oversleep, undersleep, forget to eat main meals, lack of energy. Not being in a routine (impossible), gives me the feeling of anxiety and stress regularly.
Apart from the impact on my health, i am stressed out trying to learn 4 departments all over again, each week (like the specials, what needs marking down, stock on hand, off locations, orders etc)

Please can someone tell me if i have any rights to have my FULLTIME roster amended to be more stable and realistic with less department hopping.. because I am loosing my mind :pain:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
You should have a 10 hour gap between all shifts. Other than that you can't really do much more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)