• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (6 Viewers)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Completely agree with all of those, especially number two. I've submitted this idea before but they rejected it. Get your fucking shit together, this is important.
Can't wait until SCO10 is pushed out, can't be that long now!

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
i do a lot of work on the SCO (just looked at the eLearning, laughed at how old it was) and i actually really like it, but i really wish they would change a couple things,
1) make the background of attendant's options/features a different colour (ie, red) to stop people getting confused when theyre supposed to be touching things (the amount of times ive had people asking whats wrong with the machines when its asking for the quantity (not a log-in) is just stupid, and people that try and use the POS when im not done with it is even more annoying.) and surely thats not a hard thing to code in with the next update

2) dunno about other stores, but we regularly have machines that will stop accepting or dispensing cash, so a "Disable Cash Payment" button would be great (greys out cash option and debit+cash out option, and doesnt open coin and note acceptors) because people decide to take the CARD ONLY sign off and put cash in even when theyve been told its card only and they complain when it doesnt give them change and it just wastes everyones time and distracts attendants for way too long.

3) cash out. when people choose other amount, they always expect that the amount they type in to come out in cash, seems silly that it interprets it as the total amount, so maybe optional buttons "add to total amount" and "remainder of total amount" (i dunno about the 2nd one) but needs to be clearer...

im sure theres others ive thought of but thats all i can remember now, what do you guys think?
worthy updates, or are my customers just stupid (i wouldnt be surprised if thats the case haha)?
Completely agree with everything,especially Number 2. We have 1 machine that has been eft only for weeks,signs all over it,and like your store,they are taking the sign off and putting cash in. Seriously people,is it that hard to read???

nanakid12

HSC
Sorry for straying off-topic, but because we don't have SCO at our store its boring me :p. I've got a quick question: I maybe doing a Saturday by myself sometime in the not-to-distant future, open to close (8am-5pm). Its virtually the same as what you do of a night-time close, right? Except you rip the magazines and stuff?

I've done Saturdays with other supervisors before and just done lunchbreaks and shtuff but thats about it.

Also, for all those guys and girls who work in stores where cigarettes can only be sold from smokeshop (which is presumably all states in Australia now), do you allow customers to bring stuff they wanna buy from inside the store out the front at smokeshop, or do you force them to go through another checkout/lane and pay? Do you allow people to save transactions to add cigarettes to their bill? Or is this illegal?

Apparently we have to cut back on serving stuff from inside the store on smokeshop now, as people just walk out the front and we presume products have already been purchased and don't scan them, so the customer practically steals the stuff. No one has been enforcing it until today. I'm just waiting to get abused to the shithouse now.

Christ, its not like we make the law. When will you people understand that?!?!?! :mad:

Completely unrelated note, checkout the babe :p
http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...9658674282_650549281_11015369_958416729_n.jpg

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
It's not everywhere, unless they haven't updated us yet. Which seems irresponsible.

So yeah, I'm assuming it's not in VIC yet. I remember it being like that when i was in sydney about a year or so ago.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
In NSW you usually can only buy from the service desk which in my area is outside the check out lanes.

On another note I have 12 3hour shifts in the next 14 days fuck!

britto89

HSC
Sorry for straying off-topic, but because we don't have SCO at our store its boring me :p. I've got a quick question: I maybe doing a Saturday by myself sometime in the not-to-distant future, open to close (8am-5pm). Its virtually the same as what you do of a night-time close, right? Except you rip the magazines and stuff?

I've done Saturdays with other supervisors before and just done lunchbreaks and shtuff but thats about it.

Also, for all those guys and girls who work in stores where cigarettes can only be sold from smokeshop (which is presumably all states in Australia now), do you allow customers to bring stuff they wanna buy from inside the store out the front at smokeshop, or do you force them to go through another checkout/lane and pay? Do you allow people to save transactions to add cigarettes to their bill? Or is this illegal?

Apparently we have to cut back on serving stuff from inside the store on smokeshop now, as people just walk out the front and we presume products have already been purchased and don't scan them, so the customer practically steals the stuff. No one has been enforcing it until today. I'm just waiting to get abused to the shithouse now.

Christ, its not like we make the law. When will you people understand that?!?!?! :mad:

http://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...9658674282_650549281_11015369_958416729_n.jpg
Customers are allowed to save transactions or bring a small amount of stuff around to the smokeshop register(providing there is nothing to be weighed) at my store as some banks charge per transaction

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC

Are you open Sunday? If so, shouldn't mag's be done then? It's the same as any other day pretty much, although we have to do final pick ups on our Sunday (your saturday?)

In Vic, our teamtalks state we can serve smokes from any register but our store is under the impression that we can't, so everyone who wants smokes has to be saved and moved to the front. We let people with a few items go around the front. We had a guy who works across from us in the shopping centre, he would walk around the front with an armful of items, abuse his trust with the people who work at our store, and not pay for his items. Nobody ever noticed until I started to, then I noticed he did it multiple times, I went and chased him one day (works directly opposite us). Never again has he walked around the front with items.

Customers mate, what can you do..

nanakid12

HSC
In NSW you usually can only buy from the service desk which in my area is outside the check out lanes.

On another note I have 12 3hour shifts in the next 14 days fuck!
Is that the law? Or is that just the way your store chooses to do it? And unlucky about the 3 hour shifts, they're the worst I reckon. So little time to get stuff done.

Customers are allowed to save transactions or bring a small amount of stuff around to the smokeshop register(providing there is nothing to be weighed) at my store as some banks charge per transaction
I don't see how it is our fault that the customer's bank does that. Banks such as NAB have everyday spending accounts which have pretty much zilch fees on them. Or just, you know, get cashout with your transaction.

Are you open Sunday? If so, shouldn't mag's be done then? It's the same as any other day pretty much, although we have to do final pick ups on our Sunday (your saturday?)

Nah we don't open Sundays, thank god, so we used to do all our finals and stuff on a Saturday :) we might be going sometime in the distant future, but at the moment it would cost far too much.

And at first we started to save transaction and take them to the front to finish it off, and still do sometimes if the customer needs a coicious amounts of cashout+smokes. But now, I'm pretty sure the whole team of supervisors & managers are getting sick of people who bring their groceries through the service desk instead of going through express, so we're going to start cracking down. I love it when people try to bring weighed produce through the smokeshop though, and I have a more practical excuse to send them through a main.

Vic is probably going to introduce that law in sometime soon though, right?

Last edited:

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
And at first we started to save transaction and take them to the front to finish it off, and still do sometimes if the customer needs a coicious amounts of cashout+smokes. But now, I'm pretty sure the whole team of supervisors & managers are getting sick of people who bring their groceries through the service desk instead of going through express, so we're going to start cracking down. I love it when people try to bring weighed produce through the smokeshop though, and I have a more practical excuse to send them through a main.

Vic is probably going to introduce that law in sometime soon though, right?
Yep I agree about the smokeshop registers and fruit and veg, valid reason to refuse.
Well Vic is still fairly relaxed with their tobacco regulations, heck, even minors can still serve smokes. As of Jan 1, 2011 though, all smokes had to be covered up (that's standard practice around the country mostly now anyway)

nanakid12

HSC
So yeah, I'm assuming it's not in VIC yet. I remember it being like that when i was in sydney about a year or so ago.
Yep I agree about the smokeshop registers and fruit and veg, valid reason to refuse.
Well Vic is still fairly relaxed with their tobacco regulations, heck, even minors can still serve smokes. As of Jan 1, 2011 though, all smokes had to be covered up (that's standard practice around the country mostly now anyway)
So VIC does have the laws which forces retailers to hide all tobacco products? My brain picked up BSammy's as meaning that VIC doesn't have that law.

Yeah minors can still serve in QLD as well. I'm thinking of asking CSM if we can put up a sign which says "Only Front of Store products can be served at Service Counter" or something. We did, at one stage, have signs all over the main registers saying "CIGARETTE'S CAN NOW ONLY BE SERVED AT SMOKESHOP" but apparently that all had to come down, probably because it's indirectly advertising them :S

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
So VIC does have the laws which forces retailers to hide all tobacco products? My brain picked up BSammy's as meaning that VIC doesn't have that law.

Yeah minors can still serve in QLD as well. I'm thinking of asking CSM if we can put up a sign which says "Only Front of Store products can be served at Service Counter" or something. We did, at one stage, have signs all over the main registers saying "CIGARETTE'S CAN NOW ONLY BE SERVED AT SMOKESHOP" but apparently that all had to come down, probably because it's indirectly advertising them :S
Just need to word it differently.
We have a sign on all SCO's that says "NO SALE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AT SELF SERVE REGISTERS".

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I do alot of recovery work which is only three hours.

I am in school still so it doesn't matter and doingthree hour shifts is good for that (I also do register)

But 12 shifts in 14 days is so much. I am going to be so tired

nanakid12

HSC
Just need to word it differently.
We have a sign on all SCO's that says "NO SALE OF TOBACCO PRODUCTS AT SELF SERVE REGISTERS".
That works. I'll give it a shot =) and hopefully have a good reason to charge extra fees. Muhahaha!! :)

I do alot of recovery work which is only three hours.

I am in school still so it doesn't matter and doingthree hour shifts is good for that (I also do register)

But 12 shifts in 14 days is so much. I am going to be so tired
You should probably try asking for longer shifts instead. Or are they being really skimpy on wages in Big W as well? I sorta remember asking about this a while ago... but i cant remember anyways.

One of my friend's mums lived a good hour & a half's drive from the store, so when she got 3 hour shifts, her mum would basically drive all the way home, be there for 20 minutes, and then drive back to pick her up. She could have stayed in town, but considering there is absolutely no nightlife in a rural town she would have had nothing to do.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Argh.
Another supervisor was given Sunday supervision by the SM but nobody told the service manager, so I was rostered for it. We both rocked up to work, so they had to pay us both supervision.
The only problem is... I wasn't paid supervision rates. I got the manager at the time to sign my adjustment personally AND even left a note for the pay clerk explaining the situation.

You'd think they'd be able to get that right, wouldn't you? You thought wrong.

nanakid12

HSC
Did you both actually supervise though? Or just the one of you?

Something similar happened to an operator just last week: the 2ic asked an operator to work one day, and the CSM had no knowledge of it. So she rocked up to work, and was sent home. Can they even do that?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Did you both actually supervise though? Or just the one of you?

Something similar happened to an operator just last week: the 2ic asked an operator to work one day, and the CSM had no knowledge of it. So she rocked up to work, and was sent home. Can they even do that?
Well I went into longlife for the day. Apparently it was all my fault and the other supervisor who rocked up now hates me. We were both getting supervision though to make it fair. She ended up supervising despite me being much better than her, she would have been hopeless in longlife.

Clank_

HSC
For the past two weeks all my shifts have been cancelled :(

Time to start looking for a new job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)