The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

bensneddon

HSC
So, back to Woolies next week after a 3 month hiatus (almost, I did work 3 short f/end shifts during that time)

Going to be doing a complex roster where 3 of us rotate through 3 different shifts:
>cash office open (0600-0930) followed by front end (0930-whenever)
>cash office day/close (0930-1930)
>front end - whatever we feel like!

Should be interesting!
Any major changes I should know about?
Will be good to have you back :)

The best change will be our store goes live for Project Evolution on 3/3/2012 :D

Bad news is, I'm not working that day haha

nanakid12

HSC
No lol, it doesn't work like that, not at my store anyway. Some supervisors are contracted to various day/night supervision shifts. The person contracted to Sunday day now does Duty Management, hence why I now do Sunday days. I'm the person that does Sundays, hence why my manager rostered me on, the SM gave her the shift as he assumed nobody else was doing it. He didn't tell the CSM that she is doing it, hence why we were both put on.

She already has other supervision shifts, at least one contracted per week and anything else she gets replaced with on a weeknight. We only have about six supervisors remember.
Well, our store's different to yours then. All our part-time staff are contracted to like 10 hours a week, the bare minimum, and then the CSM just adds in extra hours and factors in casuals and all. I'm contracted to 5 hours Fridays night, then 5 hours Saturday. And then they add in like a bazillion shifts during the week. Its like ARGHHH!!! cause we have heaps of adjustments to sign, which most of the time, I forget to sign :p There's a few nights where no supervisor is contracted to work, like Mondays for example, or Thursdays, and a random supervisor is just rostered to it based on what they've been working previously.

I guess, you being a bigger, better store, you'd would have to do it properly and all :p

The best change will be our store goes live for Project Evolution on 3/3/2012 :D

How do you find out when your store is getting Project Evolution?!?!?!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC

WAT. How did you find this out? We need it more than ever. All the fucking phones in our store are dying and we're using a shitty mini version of the LG phones up on service because the big version (with the extension display) broke..

Fucking hell, it's a nightmare.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Well, our store's different to yours then. All our part-time staff are contracted to like 10 hours a week, the bare minimum, and then the CSM just adds in extra hours and factors in casuals and all. I'm contracted to 5 hours Fridays night, then 5 hours Saturday. And then they add in like a bazillion shifts during the week. Its like ARGHHH!!! cause we have heaps of adjustments to sign, which most of the time, I forget to sign :p There's a few nights where no supervisor is contracted to work, like Mondays for example, or Thursdays, and a random supervisor is just rostered to it based on what they've been working previously.

I guess, you being a bigger, better store, you'd would have to do it properly and all :p
Yeah we aren't like that at all. Every night is covered, I don't see how it would work for us if various supervisors were put on for various shifts in various weeks :p. It's often confusing enough with the amount of shift changes and they all have fixed shifts!

BSammy

HSC
Well, our store's different to yours then. All our part-time staff are contracted to like 10 hours a week, the bare minimum, and then the CSM just adds in extra hours and factors in casuals and all. I'm contracted to 5 hours Fridays night, then 5 hours Saturday.
You know that if you've been there a year, on a part time contract, and have done flex up regularly, you can elect to increase your core hours?
(2.6.2 in the agreement, read it, it's very handy)

I just know it sucks, being on a small contract like that, yet working close to 30 hours a week on average, then when you have annual leave or something you only get that 10 hours, need more core permanent hours.
Find out from your office person what the average amount of flex up you have done in the last year, and that's how much you should be able to get your contract increased by.

nanakid12

HSC
You know that if you've been there a year, on a part time contract, and have done flex up regularly, you can elect to increase your core hours?
(2.6.2 in the agreement, read it, it's very handy)

I just know it sucks, being on a small contract like that, yet working close to 30 hours a week on average, then when you have annual leave or something you only get that 10 hours, need more core permanent hours.
Find out from your office person what the average amount of flex up you have done in the last year, and that's how much you should be able to get your contract increased by.
THIS. Yes.
There was a huge thing about it when some of the daytime workers had their hours scaled back to like 15 when it went to school holidays. These guys relied on their 30+ hours a week for their rent, car payments, etc and then they just scaled their hours back.

People were NOT happy.

I will get around to it, but I didn't move onto a part-time contract until like... August last year? I think... I'll keep in mind to ask them then :)

bensneddon

HSC
Are you serious!?!?! Woah!!! I'm actually working that day! Doing F/end open with CSM replacing you ;-)
I thought you mentioned some time the project had been put on hold?
Yep, it will be good. Store manager got a CoreComm this week :)

I was told the project had been put on hold by someone that works on a regional/national level, but since then I'm guessing they've pushed through some 'critical' stores.

It will be interesting to see if they have changed their thinking on which phones ring during trading hours. In the original design, only the two phones in the invoice office were configured to ring when someone external calls...

If people want to know when/if they are going live, ask your store manager to ring your RITIC or Distributed IT Services Manager.

bensneddon

HSC
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried force-logging someone off in the middle of a transaction? Like accidentally, or anything? Just wondering what would happen... haha
If you force log off an active user who is mid-transaction, nothing will happen until the transaction is complete. Once the transaction is complete, and the receipt is printed, it will boot the user off and go back to the logon screen.

On the old POS, you could force log off mid transaction... fun times were had :D

nanakid12

HSC
If you force log off an active user who is mid-transaction, nothing will happen until the transaction is complete. Once the transaction is complete, and the receipt is printed, it will boot the user off and go back to the logon screen.

On the old POS, you could force log off mid transaction... fun times were had :D
Awwwww really? I just fell into suicidal depression.

Sorry, shouldn't joke about that.

Been a 2IC for about 2 months and already doing my Service Managers 4 week holidays. Nervous.
Ohhhh nice! Pumped? Does this mean you get some relief duty shifts now, Monday nights? Other stores CSMs do Monday night duty too, right?

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Not ours.

My old stores CSM did one weekend day of duty a month, but that was mainly because the long life manager wasn't up to the task.

Jolyon

HSC
I will do the Saturday day only once since she does one Saturday a month and we usually got one of our senior supervisors to run the frontend. So we will see how it all goes. Let us hope I can do the rosters without a stuff up (she always just double checks them for me but never really have issues). Just the fact I will be alone running the whole department is the nervous part haha

Dystocia

HSC
Last time I had woolworths the meat was brown and they wouldn't refund my money. Is there something I can do about this

nanakid12

HSC
Last time I had woolworths the meat was brown and they wouldn't refund my money. Is there something I can do about this
You "had" Woolworths? Hmmm...
Our policy is that we have to cheerfully exchange all products if they are damaged. If you still have your receipt, you are also entitled to a full refund in either cash or back onto your EFTPOS/credit card.

However, if you don't have you receipt, we also offer full refunds back in cash if the product is under $15. Because you paid $36, then it will have to be put back onto a RETURNS card, which is basically like a gift card that can only be spent in Woolworths Limited stores. You will have to present ID for them to process this "No Receipt" refund. This is only if you don't have your receipt though.

More at this page:
http://www.woolworths.com.au/wps/wc...es/returns+policy/supermarkets+returns+policy

If the store you bought it from does not let you refund it, make sure you lodge a complaint to the higher-ups. You are entitled to your money back, and if the staff aren't letting you, then (to me) they sound like they need to re-read the company policy on refunds.

Good luck :)

nanakid12

HSC
SOZ for double-posting, but I wanted this seperate, cause of a question. Its me and my cigarettes again.

Where do you guys draw the line at under-18s being involved in the sale? With the whole adult-buying-it-for-the-kid when the kids is also there with them rule, I thought we were only supposed to refuse sale if we had grounds for believing that the smokes were going to be given to the under-18, such as the two discussing it whilst in the store?

Tonight, someone who is 18 came in with a friend from school last year who is younger than me (I'm 17). The 18 year old wanted Tally-Ho papers, but didn't have enought money, so the under-18 year old gave me the money for it. But I made sure I gave the papers and change back to the over-18 year old.

My longlife manager told me we are not supposed to do that, and to refuse sale, but just to keep it in mind for the future. I don't know why I didn't, I suppose I feel a bit threatened because this other kid is like one of the "tough guys" and I'm sort of your average joe that doesn't really mix. I remember reading in legal studies at school last year that it is NOT ILLEGAL for an under 18 to buy cigarette papers/filters, so this is just against Woolworths policy?

So, if these two come in again to buy any cigarette product, I can refuse sale simply because I believe that they are going to be supplied to the under-18 year old? If you guys have ever refused sale, have you ever been threatened for it? That's my biggest fear I guess. But I still wouldn't sell them.

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify the legality of some of this.

Also, just thought I'd worth mentioning, this under-18 year old went up to a local cafe today (I know because I was waiting there at the time for them to cook stuff) and bought a packet of cigarettes. No question about it. Lady just served him, and off he went.

There is NO WAY IN HELL I would do that. I follow the ID25 as much as possible.

Thanks guys...

EDIT: Also, I need a favour for anyone replying, can you please not quote this post, just be like well, @nanakid12, you should be doing... etc etc etc. Thanks heaps :D

Last edited:

powlmao

Banned
HSC
I have always been told just process it unless it is obvious its for the under 18yr ols

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
It's a hard situation because the under 18 could have genuinely just been giving the other person some extra money out of good grace.
It could also be the fact that the older person was purchasing them for the younger kid who didn't have enough money.

I would probably still put that one through unless they gave me ANY other small reason to suspect otherwise.

The way they speak to each other can tell a lot. E.g. if the older kid looks at the younger kid and says "Oi it's 60c, not 40c", then that would appear like secondary purchasing. But if the older kid goes "hey I'm short 20c, do you have 20c?", then that would appear legit.

nanakid12

HSC
Yeah, well the younger guy was like "you're short 15 cents" and gave me a $5 note. :/ but I get what you mean by that.

I just read this from the Queensland Health website:

Q. Does the law require me to refuse the sale of smoking products (whether the sale is over-the-counter or from a tobacco vending machine) to an adult if I suspect the adult is buying the smoking product on behalf of a child?
A. No, you would not be breaking the law by allowing the adult to buy smoking products. If the adult buys smoking products and then hands the smoking products to a child, the adult is committing an offence (unless the adult is the child’s parent or guardian). (http://www.health.qld.gov.au/tobaccolaws/documents/29608.pdf)

So I'm guessing this is just a Woolworths thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)