The Woolworths Thread (20 Viewers)

ishinova

HSC
YES! We have had the exact same problem. We've had the same issue with two of our express registers and one of the smokeshop ones.
The express lane I was using on xmas eve overheated about 4 hours before my shift finished - every other register was being used so I did pretty much nothing.
Ditto and Ditto
Yea the register overheat then eventually die
Customers get shitty
Not a good outcome

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i was looking at the operator performance reports for the previous year, it really makes u realise just how much you do in a whole year

like our only full time front end staff member last year sold like 2 million worth of stock and served like 70,000 customers, and we're only a small store. thats 70,000 "hi how are yous" and probably 20 thousand "savings, cheque or credit"

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i wouldnt have thought so

this done bring up a question i've beenn meaning to ask, does working at Woolies make using Self Service easier, or harder (i get the impression an employee may be too fast for the machine, with the need to weigh everything)?

HSC
Yeah I think it is slower for staff if they're doing it, not just staff but some customers as well have to slow down a bit for it to do the weights. It would be easier at first (for S/S trained staff at least) but after a while everyone learns what to do including customers. I mean when I go to a S/S register to say override a weight or something, a few times if there is a child with a customer they'll press the 'store log in' button coz they know thats what we press, freaked me out the first time.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
agree with all that.
but to be honest, after i had my first lengthy session on there yesterday, ive noticed that the weighing time factor isnt really a problem unless you go to take bags off. even when you wait for the green lights before taking the bags off (its amazing how many times i had to remind people that!) it still comes up with the bagging error screen briefly before disappearing and allowing you to continue. that certainly increases the time (and frustration!)
if you scan an item and put it straight into the bag, you can scan the next item pretty much straight away with no problems.

i have a question too. when scanning a bulky item with the PDA do you find that it doesnt seem to work unless you are face-on to the barcode, and it doesnt work through the grills of a trolley? we had a special on the 30-can soft drinks and it was soo frustrating cause i couldnt get the PDA to scan quickly...

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I started at my new store on wednesday. It's rather different, not sure i like it. The supervisors mainly just tell you what to do and thats the extent of our interaction, i can't even get a 'bye' out of some of them when i leave! And the CSM is being all vague about me getting my supervisor numbers back, and i'm pretty sure she doesn't take me seriously as a supervisor cos i was trained in a midget store.

And yesterday i had this horrible near-fainting, blurred-vision episode mid-customer and had to run off the staff room (where a laid down and moaned for like 20 minutes) and no-one even came to check on me! They're so cold.

but i love express, which we previously didn't have.
and it sucks cos i feel like i have to show that i can cut the mustard as a supervisor all over again But none of the other supervisors even know I'm trained so therefore i never get the chance and it just feels like a demotion.

HSC
Honestly you kinda have to expect that moving from a small store to a big one, the supervisor part I mean. And not that age of a supervisor really matters, but you're...17? When you said you were getting a transfer I thought then that you won't get as many if any supervision shifts at the new store, at least for a bit.

The near fainting thing though, thats weird no-one checked on you. I used to faint heaps and the first time I did at work when I'd just started someone stayed with me the whole time, like taking me upstairs and everything.

greekgun

HSC
totally random question but:

im curious, whats the policy on facial hair?
At coles its pretty much if you cant grow a thick facial hair then dont grow one at all. They dont want to see bumfluff or a beard which is patchy. Or at least thats wat i heard my manager say. But i cant believe they are so strict with that type of bullshit. If customers dont give a shit (and most dont) y should they?

Craven

HSC
Management at my store have made staff buy a razor and shaving cream and shave on the spot when they came to work with the beginnings of a beard... I don't see the point.

greekgun

HSC
At coles we have this dirty old razor which is shared by staff who are told 2 shave. Ill never use that if they ask me, its feral.

Pilotman

HSC
Something interesting.......

in regards to credit cards being stolen, fakes etc etc. In the USA any purchase with credit card you must provide your drivers license or passport as ID and if you can't provide that there's no purchase.

Suprised Aussie hasn't taken this up considering how many billions of $$$ it costs for credit card fraud each year.

bdude

HSC
Suprised Aussie hasn't taken this up considering how many billions of $$$ it costs for credit card fraud each year.
I think the PIN system that's being introduced will be more effective.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Management at my store have made staff buy a razor and shaving cream and shave on the spot when they came to work with the beginnings of a beard... I don't see the point.
Our store's had a communal razor since I started there (2006).
All the guys detest it.

Craven

HSC
Because of the cyclone everyone went apeshit yesterday and were raiding the long-life milk, batteries and canned soup.... there were so many customers in the store that all the registers were backed up to the start of the aisles and for some reason they started lining up right down the end of the registers and back along the freezers towards the back of the store... then along the back wall all the way to the other side... like a big L. There were so many dumped trolleys of stock in the store because people saw the line and couldn't be fucked waiting.. lol. It was ridiculous lol. And in the end, we just got a bit of rain.

Today was DEAD... I wasnt meant to work all day but they asked me last night since they were thinking it would be just as busy lol, but yeah, very very quiet today... and then about 10am the centres' fire alarms went off and of course no one pays attention and continues about their business.. 10 minutes later they are still going off, then Woolworths' fire alarm went off and yep, we had to evacuate out into the rain haha.... apparently a small fire started in the roof above Target. Half an hour later we're all back to work.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Because of the cyclone everyone went apeshit yesterday and were raiding the long-life milk, batteries and canned soup.... there were so many customers in the store that all the registers were backed up to the start of the aisles and for some reason they started lining up right down the end of the registers and back along the freezers towards the back of the store... then along the back wall all the way to the other side... like a big L. There were so many dumped trolleys of stock in the store because people saw the line and couldn't be fucked waiting.. lol. It was ridiculous lol. And in the end, we just got a bit of rain.

Today was DEAD... I wasnt meant to work all day but they asked me last night since they were thinking it would be just as busy lol, but yeah, very very quiet today... and then about 10am the centres' fire alarms went off and of course no one pays attention and continues about their business.. 10 minutes later they are still going off, then Woolworths' fire alarm went off and yep, we had to evacuate out into the rain haha.... apparently a small fire started in the roof above Target. Half an hour later we're all back to work.
Haha. Wwell at least you didn't have a fire start on you ;o

Yep, the oven in the deli where i work caught on fire when i was working (was on my own, oven went off, i opened it, served custoemrs looked back and then saw fire coming out of the oven. I was like "oh shits."

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
Haha. Wwell at least you didn't have a fire start on you ;o

Yep, the oven in the deli where i work caught on fire when i was working (was on my own, oven went off, i opened it, served custoemrs looked back and then saw fire coming out of the oven. I was like "oh shits."
Not cool mang. :eek:
Was the situation resolved?
WHAT HAPPENED????

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Not cool mang. :eek:
Was the situation resolved?
WHAT HAPPENED????
haha it wasn't my fault. I did the right things actually. I turned off the power to the fan and told dept + store manager to come to the deli. Dept manager was just like strolling down wondering what was going on. and im like "saying. Fire." pointing at the oven. and then stuff went from there.

Didn't want to risk using the extinguisher in case it was the wrong one. Evacuated the store, etc. This hppened the week before xmas. haha, so yeah. We lost qiute a bit of salse fomr that event. Estimated about $500 lost in hot chicken sales.

Alternatively, i could've said that im so hot tht i make things spontaneously combust :p

Here's a pic of the oven;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)