The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i cant really answer those questions, they're a matter for HR, and they seem to just do whatever they please, without any particular reasons. you have to understand there's no official policy, it all comes down to what HR decides.

i.e. our old store manager has moved closer to home, our new store manager was on holidays when he was appointed, and still is, so it's just out store services manager, but now our store services manager is being sent to another store for 2 weeks to cover a break there, so we're getting the old SSS, who was replaced by another store manager even though he was doing a good job, ALL THIS WHEN PROJECT PHEONIX IS STARTING IN OUR STORE!

Black Heart

HSC
I am really starting to get sick of working on checkouts and need something new to do. I want to move into another department, how should I go about enquiring? I don't want to just go into another department and then get a call over the PA asking "name, serice 30" or whatever they say to get you to go to the express and serve customers because of the line. I want to completely get off checkouts permantely. Is this possible? Or should I just transfer to say, Big W (When the new store opens). How would I go about transfering stores?

greekgun

HSC
I am really starting to get sick of working on checkouts and need something new to do. I want to move into another department, how should I go about enquiring? I don't want to just go into another department and then get a call over the PA asking "name, serice 30" or whatever they say to get you to go to the express and serve customers because of the line. I want to completely get off checkouts permantely. Is this possible? Or should I just transfer to say, Big W (When the new store opens). How would I go about transfering stores?
Ask the manager of the department that u want to transfer to or i guess speak to the store manager. Or i guess u could speak to the customer service manager and tell them that ur not happy in customer service anymore.

But if u do transfer, and its busy, they probably wont single u out and ask u to come up to serve on express because that will piss off your new manager because u have stuff to do for him and not another department, unless ur new manager sends u down their himself/herself to tackle the que or they call a priority 1 (or watever safeway calls it).
Goodluck in changing though.

Harry778

HSC
Townie! I was in the lunch room today at work and was reading the Sunday Telegraph and was up to the cartoons and I saw you default pic! I cant remember what the name of the comic was? But it was the tiger, and some little kid!
I was like :O OMG its Townie hahahah! Someone and Somebody? lol, do you who they are? And are you a fan? Just wondering..

yoddle

is cool
HSC
On Monday like half the service staff called in sick and they called SIXTEEN people and I was the only one that said yes, even though I have exams.

It was horrible. If I hadn't of said yes it would have just been the supervisor manning express by herself.

Anyways on another note, we got 71% in our secret shopper survey, which CSM said is 'very poor'. Do you guys know what you've got?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
idk the exact % but the only problem in our last one was failure to ask for EDR's

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
so, i take it woolworths likes to make our lives hell

"OH HAY, LETS INTRODUCE A COMPLETLEY NEW [to most people] WAY OF USING CREDIT CARDS WITH CHIPS WITHOUT A TRANSITION PERIOD - YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THE NEW WAY"

if you dont know what i'm talking about, all CC's with chips on them will HAVE to be inserted into the machine in the slot i.e. not swipped, and left there untill the transaction is finalised. will happen soon, no warning, customers are barely capable of swiping there cards, god knows how they will cope with this.

other changes for the new store release

-Reduced to clear button will move to supervisor menu
-approaching cash limit report will be available to CSM/SS
-charitable donations can now be made in-store through the PoS for selected charities
-RF guns will prompt you if you are sure you want to RTC a sale/return item (very sensible change IMHO)
-Random weight items on special will have some changes to the ticketing on them (didnt really read that part)
-Adveritising for QFF on the dockets
-product recall mesages on the PoS will be bigger and in BLUE (not red)

thats all i can remember now off the top of my head

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you supposed to ask for them if it's under $30? I usually do but ive had customers get annoyed cause they sAy it's pointless (which it is lol)
woolworths wants customers to swipe them everytime they shop, if customers ask why, u can tell them

REAL REASON: Woolworths wants the information about shopping habbits

SEMI-REAL REASON: it helps to allow the delivery of targeted EDR only specials for you/there may be EDR only specials on items u are buying that the cashier may not be aware of

ekul444

HSC
N/A
haha thanks for all that townie - it should lots of fun with those credit card chips!:eek: (BTW how come american express pins still don't work with our system??)

when is this new store release happening?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Gone a week and so much to catch up on in this thread lol.

ok.

is there a certain time cycle to how long they stay in a particular store? I've seen some managers stay for long periods in my old store while some leave really quick.

In my newly opened store one department has already gone through 3 managers in 2 months, why did this happen? (previous ones could''t fulfill the duty or were they being trained because the former two had no experience in the said department?)

How do they handpick managers to transfer from store to store? I mean there's heaps of managers to choose from from different stores to be moved into a new one. Is it based on ability?

you sure its usually training policy as to why some managers jump from managing deli, bakery etc? Or is it because you werent suited for the role? From what Ive seen if your transferred to another store you usually retain your former department?
This is what I will be doing (at Coles) for my grad program. Management training around departments. The plan is for me to become a store manager within two years. Which is pretty exciting. As for moving, as Townie said they are on centralised pay, so if they tell you to move, you move.

We have just got out store manager and grocery manager back, they have spent a month at the new Pendle Hill store. It has four aisles and four checkouts (converted IGA from what I hear, never heard of a Woolworths so small), they were disappointed to return to our far larger, busier store lol.

greekgun

HSC
so, i take it woolworths likes to make our lives hell

"OH HAY, LETS INTRODUCE A COMPLETLEY NEW [to most people] WAY OF USING CREDIT CARDS WITH CHIPS WITHOUT A TRANSITION PERIOD - YOU WILL HAVE TO USE THE NEW WAY"

if you dont know what i'm talking about, all CC's with chips on them will HAVE to be inserted into the machine in the slot i.e. not swipped, and left there untill the transaction is finalised. will happen soon, no warning, customers are barely capable of swiping there cards, god knows how they will cope with this.

other changes for the new store release

-approaching cash limit report will be available to CSM/SS
-charitable donations can now be made in-store through the PoS for selected charities
-RF guns will prompt you if you are sure you want to RTC a sale/return item (very sensible change IMHO)
-Random weight items on special will have some changes to the ticketing on them (didnt really read that part)
-Adveritising for QFF on the dockets
-product recall mesages on the PoS will be bigger and in BLUE (not red)

thats all i can remember now off the top of my head
sounds like a bitch

yoddle

is cool
HSC

So, with those chips. They have never worked on our machines, ever. The bottom slot os there, but nothing happens when they are inserted. Is this the case on the mainland as well? Also, what is the advantage of them? Surely there would still have to be some PIN or signage?

RTC > Supervisor. Eurgh.
Although there's hardly any manual ones any more I suppose.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The slots have never worked because they have never been activated, they will be with the upgrade. why they dont want to have dual functionality is beyond me.

there still will need to be a pin or signature.

nfi what the advantages are.

just realised though, how are we supposed to check signatures if the card has to remain in the machine during the transaction???

bdude

HSC
there still will need to be a pin or signature.

nfi what the advantages are.

just realised though, how are we supposed to check signatures if the card has to remain in the machine during the transaction???
The reason why banks are pushing for the adoption of Chip transactions in Australia (they are quite commonplace in Europe) is because the chips are more secure, and there's no risk of having your card details stolen via one of those things that sits inside a swiper and records the details from the magnetic strip. Not so much a problem with large companies like Woolworths, but definitely a problem in smaller, unscrupulous retailers.

I wouldn't think the change over would be too bad, once people have to do it once they should remember.

As long as they don't then go over to Coles and yell at us because the chip reader won't take their card!

With regards to signatures, the card can be taken out of the reader once the transaction has been approved.

bdude

HSC
Sounds like a great way to slow everything the fuck down :(
Well, I've noticed the number of signature transactions I've dealt with on my shifts drop drastically compared to pre-PIN times. Most of the signatures slips are for AMEX/Diners without PINs or people who can't be bothered remembering their PIN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)