• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm the king of the PA in my store, i used to do the closing call as a pilot on some nights when it was quiet.

and lol, stealing from pickups, who the hell would be stupid enough to even attempt that

edit: also, harry, where's the supervisor vest picture, we'll be the judge of how responsible you look.

Otacon2009

HSC
When I used to do close shifts, I used to do the close announcements in the most professional way. Then one shift, I tried to do a CRAZY WAREHOUSE CLEARANCE ANNOUNCING THE STORE WILL CLOSE IN FIIIIIVE MINUTES! FIIIIVE MINUTES! but I got cold feet half way through the announcement. Fortunately, I was not banned because no one apart from the staff heard it. Though one of the Duty Managers at Nightcliff swore during a closing shift. I was a little shocked but the other staff didn't really care.

Also townie, after my little stint at Nightcliff, several supervisors and a Duty Manager got busted stealing from the self serves. To me, stealing from the self serves is worse because those things are only ever unlocked when supervised. The best thing was that I was back at my home store at the time, so there was no way they could blame the new guy (I was on call at the time)

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
i'm the king of the PA in my store, i used to do the closing call as a pilot on some nights when it was quiet.
haha...thats hilarious! can only imagine what customers would be thinking. we used to get customers swearing over the PA late at night before our refurb, one guy even started singing!

Last night we had some guy have a seizure at the end of an isle where I was serving on express - was quite scary. Everyone was like "Quick - Call an Ambulance!" I was like, "I don't have a phone". Then about three customers called 000 at the same time, giving the wrong address of the store and confusing the operator. The store manager turned up and demanded that I call a Service 100 which I thought was quite bizarre - thought that was only for security??!

Harry778

HSC
Harry, when you transferred, did you lose all your supervisor privileges?
Nope. When I transferred it was still for a supervisor/smoke shop/operator position lol. I just did a little less supervision. Here at my new store (which I transferred BACK to) I do every second week-end close, Sat: 14.30-24.30 and Sun: 13.30-22.30 and every Wednesday 11-21 supervision

At my old one it was only every second saturday 10-19 and mostly smoke shop through out the week.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
I am a casual Self-Serve Attendant. That is,I cover self-serve while people go to lunch/tea or can`t work. I have only ever done 3 Full shifts on Self-serve,2 of which have been on Saturdays(our busiest day). Being an attendant is good,but it is a lot harder with WoWPos SCO,which puts on the assistance requested light,without any reason! Plus other problems. If you are given the option, I say go to it.It is a nice change from normal checkouts. I want to do more shifts on their.
Yep, im pretty mucht the same as you (I am the 'backup' for our normal Saturday guy) i mostly do his tea breaks/lunches etc. but lately he has been keen to go on registers, so i spend most of the afternoon on there (he works open til 11am, i do his lunch @ 12, then i do the arvo till 5.)
I have only done probs 3 full shifts aswell.
I was quite keen because I was getting sick of checkouts, so Im really happy to be on there. Me and the other guy switch around all day, let each other have stints on checkouts or express or drink fridges or whatever needs doing, so it breaks the day up nicely.

Id say if you like the intense customer interaction and think you can handle pressure (it is ALOT more stressfull than checkouts - when its busy you sure notice it!)

YEah, so I really like it so Id recommend you take the opportunity if you get it!

edit:
edit: also, harry, where's the supervisor vest picture, we'll be the judge of how responsible you look.
ahaha too true, im still waiting to see what this mysterious supervisor vest u keep talking about actually looks like!! :p

Last edited:

bensneddon

HSC
haha...thats hilarious! can only imagine what customers would be thinking. we used to get customers swearing over the PA late at night before our refurb, one guy even started singing!

Last night we had some guy have a seizure at the end of an isle where I was serving on express - was quite scary. Everyone was like "Quick - Call an Ambulance!" I was like, "I don't have a phone". Then about three customers called 000 at the same time, giving the wrong address of the store and confusing the operator. The store manager turned up and demanded that I call a Service 100 which I thought was quite bizarre - thought that was only for security??!
Would have thought service 50 would have been more appropriate. Some store managers I've met don't even know what a service 100 is! (Then again, store managers have sidekicks like me for that kinda stuff :p)

bensneddon

HSC
if you find money with no source just dissection dump it into groceries, then record in lost property
Yep what Townie said. Dissection dump into groceries and write on the reciept whatever the quantity of denominations was (eg 1x $50 note) and by who it was found by and where (eg found by townie on floor next to location 85)

The reciept is then forwarded to invoice office who manage a future claim on the money.

I think that if the money isn't claimed after 3 months (??) it is then given to whoever found it. Could be wrong though.

bensneddon

HSC
Woohoo! Our 3IC is leaving to another store =D Hated that stupid bitch. If there where like two people waiting in the express line she would go heaps crazy! OMG ALL DEPARTMENTS EXPRESS ALERT! lol, not really but she would stress over nothing!! And also have 3 cash office shifts this week! Finally! My SSM was didn't want me in there cos I'm "to young" She said to me ohh we might wait till your about 21. She thinks cos the last 19 year old in there stole from pick ups (and got caught...what a fucking idiot!) I'm going to do it to. She seriously called me irresponsible to my face. So I was like speak to Rori (CSM) he thinks I'm one of the best supervisors he has and I'm only 18, thats saying something dont ya reckon?

But yeah...excited about cash office. Done all the stupid training for Project Pheonix..might as well use it.
I was office cashier when I was 16... I'm pretty sure this is a breach of the Age Discrimination Act of 2004. It basically says that all Australians, young, old and in between have the right to equal opportunities.

I'd speak to your SSM and Store Manager about it, basically outline that you believe it's age discrimination. If they can't give you a decent reason why they won't give you a fair go then I'd escalate it to the HRS and HR Manager.

In Woolworths, I've found that the young people are very passionate about their jobs, so I have a bit of a problem with people being denied opportunities because of their age. Positions should go to the best person for the job *not* the person who's 'next in line'.

/rant

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I was office cashier when I was 16... I'm pretty sure this is a breach of the Age Discrimination Act of 2004. It basically says that all Australians, young, old and in between have the right to equal opportunities.

I'd speak to your SSM and Store Manager about it, basically outline that you believe it's age discrimination. If they can't give you a decent reason why they won't give you a fair go then I'd escalate it to the HRS and HR Manager.

In Woolworths, I've found that the young people are very passionate about their jobs, so I have a bit of a problem with people being denied opportunities because of their age. Positions should go to the best person for the job *not* the person who's 'next in line'.

/rant
idk, i think in Harry's case, it's stupid because he's 18, but i wouldnt put an <18 year old in cashoffice, and nor would i train one as a service supervisor (actually, it's mainly the supervisors who i wouldnt train <18, but i also think all office cashiers should be supervisors first, or supervisor-trained first, not some elitist thing, it's just i think you have a greater appreciation of the finer details of how things work, and the integration of cashoffice/supervisor training makes for better supervisors/cashiers in my experience)

bensneddon

HSC
idk, i think in Harry's case, it's stupid because he's 18, but i wouldnt put an <18 year old in cashoffice, and nor would i train one as a service supervisor (actually, it's mainly the supervisors who i wouldnt train <18, but i also think all office cashiers should be supervisors first, or supervisor-trained first, not some elitist thing, it's just i think you have a greater appreciation of the finer details of how things work, and the integration of cashoffice/supervisor training makes for better supervisors/cashiers in my experience)
I don't see an issue with having somebody under 18 as service supervisor or an office cashier (or should I say SSA... still haven't got used to that :p)

If they can do the job well, then age shouldn't be an issue.

What reasons do you not train up under 18's townie?

SS-champion

HSC
I don't see an issue with having somebody under 18 as service supervisor or an office cashier (or should I say SSA... still haven't got used to that :p)

I think the main reason is when the supervisor has to deal with customer complaints. I don't think many under 18's would be able to handle a customer demanding to get the product for free, or abusing them in some way, etc.

also the customer would rather deal with someone a bit older...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

Several reasons

main reason: under 18's cant serve smokes, and smoke-shop is unmanned except by the supervisor for the first hour (or 2 hours on friday) and last half hour of the day in our store

secondary reasons
-i find parents tend to interfere more with <18 supervisors, with the long/late/early hours it usually requires, espescially during exam time
-availibility is more restricted with <18's, even if the parents dont interfere
-they're filling out legal documents sometimes (exceptions, adjustments, mobile/credit card ID checks)
-some (albeit idiot) customers just wont listen to <18 supervisors
-some (even more idiot) staff members just wont listen <18 supervisors
-in our store, the DM/SM etc. are pretty useless and dont know a lot, so i need people who are confident enough to make judgement calls and stand up for them, not saying under 18's CANT be like this, but as an "ADULT" i think there more capable of it
-an over 18, chances are, will have been working in the store for 1-3 years already at least, which makes it easier to train them.

i'm not saying i never would train an under 18, but i cant see if happening with my current staff members, or any i've worked with previously.

bensneddon

HSC
Several reasons

main reason: under 18's cant serve smokes, and smoke-shop is unmanned except by the supervisor for the first hour (or 2 hours on friday) and last half hour of the day in our store

secondary reasons
-i find parents tend to interfere more with <18 supervisors, with the long/late/early hours it usually requires, espescially during exam time
-availibility is more restricted with <18's, even if the parents dont interfere
-they're filling out legal documents sometimes (exceptions, adjustments, mobile/credit card ID checks)
-some (albeit idiot) customers just wont listen to <18 supervisors
-some (even more idiot) staff members just wont listen <18 supervisors
-in our store, the DM/SM etc. are pretty useless and dont know a lot, so i need people who are confident enough to make judgement calls and stand up for them, not saying under 18's CANT be like this, but as an "ADULT" i think there more capable of it
-an over 18, chances are, will have been working in the store for 1-3 years already at least, which makes it easier to train them.

i'm not saying i never would train an under 18, but i cant see if happening with my current staff members, or any i've worked with previously.
ah fair enough... in WA there is no age restriction on selling smokes (yet)

I love it when parents ring up... I basically tell them that they're not the employee and as a result, I am unable to discuss anything with them :p

You definitley need to be fairly mature to deal with the staff and customers when you're <18. I was/am known to be quite a harsh manager (policy orientated, my decision is final, no time for talk etc), so I tended to gain respect that way. Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty short, so I can't physically intimidate anyone haha.

Good point about the legal documents... I guess ACMA don't have an issue with <18's doing the AMTA forms, otherwise that would have been part of the training, and exceptions are (supposed to be) co-signed by the store manager, but adjustments are only signed by the supervisor...

On another note, has anyone heard anything about the Store Release 9.3 rollout schedule?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ah fair enough... in WA there is no age restriction on selling smokes (yet)

I love it when parents ring up... I basically tell them that they're not the employee and as a result, I am unable to discuss anything with them :p

You definitley need to be fairly mature to deal with the staff and customers when you're <18. I was/am known to be quite a harsh manager (policy orientated, my decision is final, no time for talk etc), so I tended to gain respect that way. Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty short, so I can't physically intimidate anyone haha.

Good point about the legal documents... I guess ACMA don't have an issue with <18's doing the AMTA forms, otherwise that would have been part of the training, and exceptions are (supposed to be) co-signed by the store manager, but adjustments are only signed by the supervisor...

On another note, has anyone heard anything about the Store Release 9.3 rollout schedule?
not much, just the GCM card side is supposed to be early november. love the memo they sent out

to paraphrase "lol, just realsed we didnt want to waste hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of wish gift cards, so you'll have to keep using the old ones till they run out"

HSC
I find this quite interesting.

One of our office cashiers is 18.
Our grocery 2IC is 18.
One of our supervisors became a supervisor at 15.
I've been a supervisor since I was 16.

Granted, we allow our under 18s to sell smokes. I wasn't going to be supervisor trained until after I finished Year 12, but that went out the window when someone else quit quite suddenly. I guess with longer opening hours it would become an issue though.

But, our CSM admitted to another CSM today that the younger staff in our store are much better than the older staff. And I would tend to agree.

langlece

HSC
Would have thought service 50 would have been more appropriate. Some store managers I've met don't even know what a service 100 is! (Then again, store managers have sidekicks like me for that kinda stuff :p)
The policy at our store is that service 100s don't exist. There's been far too many incidents, not at our store, where staff have ended up in hospital. As a result, staff safety is put before losing a couple of hundred dollars. In my time, I've only seen about 4 or 5 anyways.

I was only allowed to supervise once I turned 18, due to us being a massive store. I'd been unofficially doing it for about a year and a half before that though, so I knew what I was doing a lot better than some of the supervisors at the time. I was desperately crying out to do it for quite some time, but in hindsight it was a good thing, as it meant I stuck with it, was more passionate and able to become one of the better supervisors. I'm definitely a people-first supervisor, so I won't yell at anyone, but when I'm not happy people know it. I'm therefore one of the most respected and preferred supervisors :)

I have a rotating roster, 3-midnight Fri and Sat one week, and 10-7 Sat and 12-9 Sun the next week.

Random question, in terms of annual leave pay, is it paid the week that you take the leave, or the one before?

Treefeet

HSC
The store manager turned up and demanded that I call a Service 100 which I thought was quite bizarre - thought that was only for security??!

Security and fire and theft.. and + why would you have to call a service 100 when the store manager is already there.. is it not like he can handle the problem by him or her self. and + you wouldnt want 10 thousand other staff members hovering around the person.

ive had to call a couple of service 100...
- a lady trying to steal money from my hand
- when customers that have been banned from the store and yet they still come in.. lol.. i think i had to call service 100 twice in the one night too.. that way fun. then in the end.. the dude threatened to kill me.. oh the joys.

bensneddon

HSC
Security and fire and theft.. and + why would you have to call a service 100 when the store manager is already there.. is it not like he can handle the problem by him or her self. and + you wouldnt want 10 thousand other staff members hovering around the person.

ive had to call a couple of service 100...
- a lady trying to steal money from my hand
- when customers that have been banned from the store and yet they still come in.. lol.. i think i had to call service 100 twice in the one night too.. that way fun. then in the end.. the dude threatened to kill me.. oh the joys.
fire would be service 70 - building emergency

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I kinda agree with Townie saying older operators/staff won't listen to a younger supervisor. I am 17, Produce 2IC and we have a 19 year old and a 47 year old who don't really listen to me. It get's quite frustrating sometimes, and my dept. manager has told me I need to "Grow some balls"...

I also find the younger juniors (15/16yr olds) also don't listen. The Produce prep room is inbetween the store room and the store and is the quickest way to get to the store. The Dept. manager hates this and because everyone is scared of her (She is a scarey woman, most juniors won't even talk to her - I was like that when I started too lol) no one will dare go through the room when she is there...But when I'm in charge, ohh nooo people think they can just waltz through like anything, bring trollies of stock through, take pallets through to the shop - why not! One of these days I have a feeling I'm just going to blow up.

(Different note- Got Team Member of the month for September :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)