The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

bensneddon

HSC
You just sounded extremely stunned when this was mentioned, that's all.

Also, it is literally impossible to not step 1 foot outside of selfserve when working in there.
Sorry if that's the way it came across. I guess that's part of the fun of using forums - you can't convey tone.

You're probably right though, I don't spend enough time in stores anymore and I haven't worked a shift in SCO for a few years.

T 360

One of the Fresh Food Peo
HSC
Yes, that is correct. Never happens tho, the amount of times I'm required to watch self serve, smoke counter and supervise at once, that's the jobs of 3 people at once. rediculous. Only at night when it's quiet, but still.
Join the club. A typical night for me too!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
That has got to be one of, if not the most stupid decision the company has ever made. What were they thinking! I don't think this should be discussed any further here. How long til the company realises what a stupid mistake it was?
Did I miss something??

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Lets change the topic.

Anyone have the online roosters yet???

(Yay pay rise for all Big W employees as of 1 August, EBA!!)

bouncingCats

HSC
What's everyone store's busy-ness levels?

Ours usually picks up in the afternoon (of a weekday to about 4 people on registers with only one or two people waiting behind in line. Then during the night, it goes really quiet- only two people need to be on registers after about 6pm, with one operator doing jobs, the supervisor doing their thing. Then we usually lose one at 8pm, 9pm (which is also when the store closes), and then both an operator and the supervisor finish at 9:30pm.

Also, I did ask before but it could have easily been missed, but I was wondering if all stores are getting the black signs with the Store Manager, Duty Manager and Customer Service Manager/Supervisor out the front, or is it just a few (this was mentioned earlier) as we've only had our Produce Specials sign for about 3 weeks? Thanks everyone.
On weekdays, our store usually gets busy in the afternoons while on weekends (especially Saturdays) it usually gets busy after 10am...

On the signs, I think I have seen one on a wall/beam near the service desk in one store in my area. It's slightly larger than A3 paper on a green background with the woolies logo on top and it goes:

Store Manager
[NAME] [PHOTO]

Duty Manager
[NAME] [PHOTO]

Customer Service Manager on Duty
[NAME] [PHOTO]

Couldn't take a clear picture of it but the store only had the store & duty manager names on it. Don't know if this is what everyone is referring to but it looked very interesting..

nanakid12

HSC
On weekdays, our store usually gets busy in the afternoons while on weekends (especially Saturdays) it usually gets busy after 10am...

On the signs, I think I have seen one on a wall/beam near the service desk in one store in my area. It's slightly larger than A3 paper on a green background with the woolies logo on top and it goes:

Store Manager
[NAME] [PHOTO]

Duty Manager
[NAME] [PHOTO]

Customer Service Manager on Duty
[NAME] [PHOTO]

Couldn't take a clear picture of it but the store only had the store & duty manager names on it. Don't know if this is what everyone is referring to but it looked very interesting..
Hi, cool!! So is it always the Customer Service Manager's photo that is meant to be there, or the supervisor in charge if the CSM or 2ic isn't around? Many thanks :)

terminator69

HSC
Has anyone working in supermarkets heard anything lately about any changes to how staff discounts are applied? My mum was using my card earlier this week (she recently lost her one and is waiting for a replacement) and the person serving her confiscated the card and said they were "cracking down" on that. Sounds pretty sus to be, especially since all they are going to do is hold onto the card for me to collect, rather than report it to anyone.

Every month at Big W, we have a certain theme such as "bag checking" that we concentrate on. So I thought it could be related to that. Then again, the Woolworths she went to is a bit ghetto so maybe they're making up their own rules.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Has anyone working in supermarkets heard anything lately about any changes to how staff discounts are applied? My mum was using my card earlier this week (she recently lost her one and is waiting for a replacement) and the person serving her confiscated the card and said they were "cracking down" on that. Sounds pretty sus to be, especially since all they are going to do is hold onto the card for me to collect, rather than report it to anyone.
Not as far as I've heard. I usually check staff discount cards to make sure the person using it has their name and signature on the back. I've warned a few people but never actually confiscated any cards. I think it would make checking a lot quicker and easier if the card holders name appeared on the screen after the card is scanned. I've never been asked to present ID for my card, or seen anyone else ask for ID at work.

bouncingCats

HSC
Hi, cool!! So is it always the Customer Service Manager's photo that is meant to be there, or the supervisor in charge if the CSM or 2ic isn't around? Many thanks :)
I actually don't know.. The store I visited only had names on them, not the photos yet and "Customer Service Manager on Duty" as the last title. Not sure if that means Service Team Leader/Manager (whatever it is) or 2IC or supervisor...

NNS7

HSC
N/A

Every month at Big W, we have a certain theme such as "bag checking" that we concentrate on. So I thought it could be related to that. Then again, the Woolworths she went to is a bit ghetto so maybe they're making up their own rules.
It was confiscated because she and you were using it incorrectly. You or a family mamber cannot use a discount card that does not have your name or signature. If your mum wants to use your discount card you must be present with her. Otherwise she cannot use a discount card until her replacement card has arrived that bears her name. In my store, anyone caught misusing their discount card, such as the senario you mentioned, would have it revoked.
Misuse of discount cards is a breach of our code of conduct and can result in counselling or termination. Be smart people!

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
In my whole time at Woolworths I have never heard of any crack downs on staff discount usage, hell, we don't even get reminded to not share our SDC's.
I guess our area is just relaxed..

terminator69

HSC
Misuse of discount cards is a breach of our code of conduct and can result in counselling or termination.
Thanks but if I wanted a braindead HR response, I would contact HR rather than post on BoS.

In my whole time at Woolworths I have never heard of any crack downs on staff discount usage, hell, we don't even get reminded to not share our SDC's.
I guess our area is just relaxed..
That could be due to the demographic/socio-economic status of your customers. If your store has relatively low shrinkage and very few people actually scan SDCs, it's not exactly a major issue. Your store's approach sounds similar to my store, and I would only scan maybe a maximum of 1 or 2 SDCs over a 3 hour shift, but usually none. Thus I guess this "crack down" at the confisacting store may have been instigated by their store manager or just individually by a really determined employee.

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
Thanks but if I wanted a braindead HR response, I would contact HR rather than post on BoS.
Really? What more do you expect to hear from a bunch of "determined" Woolworths employees?

If you had followed company policy in the first place (which should have been outlined to you during induction) you would not have lent your card out and it would not have been confiscated. Easy. No point in blaming socio-economics/the store manager or the concerned employee—
He or she was just doing their job. Staff discount is a privilege, not a right.

My suggestion for you (if you want it) is to take responsibility for your own actions. They might let you keep your job, which I'm sure wasn't worth risking for the sake of a few dollars.

NNS7

HSC
N/A
Well I don't work in HR but i've been around a while and seen a lot of trouble caused by SDCs. I'm just saying, its not worth it....

jgibson0011

HSC
N/A
My mum was using my card earlier this week (she recently lost her one and is waiting for a replacement) and the person serving her confiscated the card and said they were "cracking down" on that.
Why are you making these unfounded allegations that I violated company policy? Perhaps my mum came into my room to wish me good night one day and she thought she dropped her SDC, but she is partially blind and brain damaged so took my SDC by mistake. Too bad I had my eyes closed at that point, as I was ready to go to bed and did not see her take it.
Can't quite tell if your being sarcastic or not. Your use of the word "perhaps" leads me to believe you indeed are. If that's so...thats stooping pretty low. If not, my apologies. :D

We can't be sure of your personal circumstances since the story keeps changing. So we'll let HR decided what happens next. I know I'm going to be more vigilant when SDCs are presented. I'm sure there are many more that are misusing/abusing the system.

Perhaps the company should consider changing the policy. Allowing more than two SDCs per household and replacing cards lost/stolen/damaged cards more frequently would solve many of these problems.

britto89

HSC
I agree with the more than two SDCs per household as well as replacing lost/stolen/damaged cards more often. It should be a quicker process to repalce a damaged card or a reported stolen/lost card.

For example if an employee reports their card as stolen (say give them a week to report it missing) then the old one should be cancelled and a new one issued within a fortnight. If a card is confiscated at the POS because its being used by someone who's name does not appear on the card then it should be recorded in some kind of system. If it turns out the card had been reported lost by the employee then a new card should be issued. However if its been used by someone else and the employee hasn't reported it missing then its obvious the card was lent and the employee should be contacted by HR for a breach of terms, etc.

One thing i'd also like to see as national communication to all sectors is that you cannot scan your own discount card (like people do for EDR). By having a policy where you must present your card to the staff member and have them scan it when its not obvious you are an employee (eg: BIG W workers shopping at Woolworths) this would allow the operator(s) to check names better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)