Theatre Thread! (1 Viewer)

jaimebien

HSC
Angels in America introduced me to Ben Shenkman, who was so vulnerable and adorable at the same time. I was so excited when he recently guest starred on Burn Notice, because he was able to bring a duality--underneath his character's boyish likeabibility was a danger that didn't lurk around, but threatened to unleash anytime-- to his performance, just as he did in Angels in America. Also, this is one of the few things I've actually liked Meryl Streep in. (And I've seen a lot of her work, including most of her Oscar-nominated performances.) You can probably get the DVD on eBay at a good price--I got mine at $12 including postage.

I might actually make the trip to Wollongong to watch the play. Its treatment of biblical mythology was very refreshing and exciting. If you've watched the latest season of Supernatural, you might know what I mean--I like to think that Angels in America was the prelude to the religious mythological subversion on Supernatural.

As for Once and for all, it was a great success! The theatre as the wharf had 200 seats, and we filled almost all of them. (The weekend before, only 20 tickets had been sold.) But seriously you guys, what was going on? No one was interested in the free ticket. But I sorta understood. Would I be correct in saying that Year 12 trials got in the way? I only realised that shortly before the play, but we have 3 high school students on the panel, none of whom seemed to realise that important event before we set the date for the play.

Also, sure, the premise wasn't that appealing. But once I watched it, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't so much a play about 13 teenagers, than an ensemble performance by 13 people about adolescence. There wasn't really a plot too, but there was something quite magical about the way they drew me in without very many words. One young actress in particular was outstanding--she didn't have very many lines, but her performance really spoke to me.

Last edited:

six demon bag

HSC
I'm going to see once and for all next friday night and im really looking forward to it. I haven't really seen anything like it (how it sounds anyway).
now i want to find angels in america haha.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I might actually make the trip to Wollongong to watch the play.
It's by UOW, but it's actually on at PACT Theatre in Erskinville, up in Sydney. Dunno whether that makes it easier or harder for you... :)

But seriously you guys, what was going on? No one was interested in the free ticket.
I was. But I had no real way to get there, or make it back to uni for my class the next day.

jaimebien

HSC
Ah, I see. Erskinville is actually easier to get to! Looking forward to it! Riverside Theatre in Parramatta recently produced part one of the play. I didn't actually get a chance to see it, so I settled for the TV show. And I'm glad I did. :)

It's a shame you couldn't go, but I totally understand. Mark this down for your calendar though!: Sometime towards the end of this year, we're organising a youth launch for the 2010 STC program and/or the greening of the wharf. Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton will be there, so I'm really looking forward to that. It's going to be very informal and just for youths. I have to say, I'm still really excited about meeting her, because I've never had a chance before, even though I've sat next to Andrew in one of the previous panel meetings.

Speaking of Cate, a final leg of A Streetcar Named Desire tickets have been released. Heads up to anyone who missed out on getting tickets before.

jaimebien

HSC
Can't seem to find any info on the PACT Theatre website. So...I guess I'll have to wait a bit before tickets are released?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, because they're just hosting it, it might not be on the website til much closer to the date. I'll try and post details when I have them though.

six demon bag

HSC
Ah, I see. Erskinville is actually easier to get to! Looking forward to it! Riverside Theatre in Parramatta recently produced part one of the play. I didn't actually get a chance to see it, so I settled for the TV show. And I'm glad I did. :)

It's a shame you couldn't go, but I totally understand. Mark this down for your calendar though!: Sometime towards the end of this year, we're organising a youth launch for the 2010 STC program and/or the greening of the wharf. Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton will be there, so I'm really looking forward to that. It's going to be very informal and just for youths. I have to say, I'm still really excited about meeting her, because I've never had a chance before, even though I've sat next to Andrew in one of the previous panel meetings.

Speaking of Cate, a final leg of A Streetcar Named Desire tickets have been released. Heads up to anyone who missed out on getting tickets before.
Will the date end up on the YAP facebook group or STC website?
I am so so so there.

six demon bag

HSC
By the way, that would be awesome to sit next to Andrew Upton aswell! haha. I think he's wonderful and I'm quite sure I'm a little bit in love with his wife - very excited for Streetcar :)

jaimebien

HSC
It'll definitely be up on the YAP facebook group. We'll be starting to plan for it, so there'll be more details soon-ish.

Yes, it was very cool to sit next to Andrew Upton. He was really intelligent but really funny as well. There wasn't any diva attitude that you get from other writers sometimes. In fact, he was strikingly normal and very pleasant to be around. Have you seen anything by Andrew Upton? I confess I haven't, though I've seen more of Cate's films. My aboslute 10/10 favourite is Heaven, which was written by the late Krzysztof Kieslowski.

Last edited:

jaimebien

HSC
can you get a running of Andrew lloyd webbers phantom of the opera, i need to see that b4 the HSC
This isn't entire relevant to pman's question, but I just found out that at the STC archive, they have a video recording of every STC play, which is pretty awesome I think. I gotta make a trip down there one of these days (it's free and open to anyone in the public) and watch some of the plays I missed out on seeing before.

six demon bag

HSC
No I haven't but I've seen documentaries that have shown him working and such and that makes me very much want to see something by him. I can't imagine him being diva-like. Heaven is brilliant. I think I love just about every movie she's in haha. Coffee & Cigarettes was one of my favourites. Also The Shipping News (even though she wasn't in it for long) and Notes on a Scandal. And Oscar & Lucinda and Elizabeth and I could go on forever haha. I've developed a bit of an obsession haha.

I might also try and see STC archive, sounds fantastic.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Anybody catch Urinetown at the Roo theatre? One of my uni friends was in it, but I never managed to get up to see it.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's a musical, though I can't remember if its done Broadway yet. Off-Broadway I'm fairly certain though.

jaimebien

HSC
Omiigod I know where that picture's taken! I've been there before and it's just so crowded with props and things. Also, a bit creepy.

six demon bag

HSC
Yeha we were saying how pretty she was last night when we went to STC.

Oh my god I loved once and for all...
That was quite possibly the best theatre experience of my life - I was smiling and crying at the same time almost the whole way through! It took me half an hour to compose myself after the play - emotion overload!

pancakes on the rocks helped :)

johony

HSC
Oh my god I loved once and for all...
That was quite possibly the best theatre experience of my life - I was smiling and crying at the same time almost the whole way through! It took me half an hour to compose myself after the play - emotion overload!

pancakes on the rocks helped :)
damn. i probably should've gone when i was offered free tickets..twice. but i had a trial exam the day after both sessions so yeah. btw i'm on the youth advisory board at griffin now, so if people have suggestions etc etc let me know.

six demon bag, how long does it take (travel wise) for you to see a stc show?

Last edited:

six demon bag

HSC
bout two hours - sometimes a bit longer depending on how i get home from the train station - i like the travel though, good reading time :)
how do you get on youth advisory boards for things? sounds awesome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)