Theatre Thread! (1 Viewer)

johony

HSC
bout two hours - sometimes a bit longer depending on how i get home from the train station - i like the travel though, good reading time :)
how do you get on youth advisory boards for things? sounds awesome
wow, almost the same time as me and i live in sydney, hah.

i was an ambassador for them during the 08 season, which is open to all high school students, and they sent around an email asking for youth advisory members this year and i replied and got it so yeah.

stc have a yap mailing list don't they? if you're signed up to that, you'll probs get info for new members next year.

six demon bag

HSC
yeah i'm signed up to everything from them haha. i lvoe STC. I haven't seen anything by Griffin yet though. I've wanted to see Dealing With Clair heaps but I haven't had a chance to get down there.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I've only seen cross Griffin/STC. I really don't get up to STC enough though.

HSC
Oooh, well last theatre thing I saw was this amazing acrobatic thing called 'Traces'. It was so good. And before that, I saw Dylan Moran live! :D

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I was meant to go see Traces. SOme of my uni classmates went and said it was amazing.

six demon bag

HSC
I wanted to see Dylan Moran so bad! Speaking of comedians, I saw Danny Bhoy and Adam Hills - best night in the world. He took me and two of my friends up on stage - most embarassing thing ever cos I was a little drunk and he accused us of "toilet sex" but it was wicked fun! he also serenaded my friend Elle, ":Lady in Red" because she was wearing a ridiculously short red dress. The show was supposed to run for just over an hour, but it went for free because he did so much with the audience :)
Oh m god I love Adam Hills...

parawhoree

HSC
I wanted to see Dylan Moran so bad! Speaking of comedians, I saw Danny Bhoy and Adam Hills - best night in the world. He took me and two of my friends up on stage - most embarassing thing ever cos I was a little drunk and he accused us of "toilet sex" but it was wicked fun! he also serenaded my friend Elle, ":Lady in Red" because she was wearing a ridiculously short red dress. The show was supposed to run for just over an hour, but it went for free because he did so much with the audience :)
so jealous. adam hills. <3 him

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Should be. :p Still a bit of time left to get tickets though.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Saw it. Great. Though they cut out a bit in schadenfreude which distracted my mind for about three minutes. Still haven't worked out why they would cut it.

lychnobity

HSC
I'm interested in getting into the theatre scene, I went once and I really want to go again, but I don't really know how.

So, any tips? (That is besides joining the YAP group etc)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
So, any tips? (That is besides joining the YAP group etc)
*Subscriptions are a good way to start. Check out season tickets for STC.

*Large Scale Musicals. Easy to watch. Enough to entice a return to the theatre. Avenue Q which I just saw is a really good example of a modern musical which is full of comedy.

*Local theatre. Cannot stress enough just how much is out there. Check out:

community theatre

For a list of heaps of theatre groups, and the shows they are doing

*Variety. Different companies will put on different things. Check out Griffin Theatre Company, Impro Australia, Comedy Store, IPAC, PACT. They all put on different things. I'm sure you can find something you'll like at one of them.

*Newspapers. Look at the arts guide to see what shows are coming up. The Herald will have a section called Spectrum, which gives a good overview of what is on in the arts.

People who are in to the theatre often forget that most people don't know about the shows that are on, or how to get tickets to them. Once you get involved in seeing them, you'll find that they're pretty easy to find. You'll run out of time to see them all. :D

jaimebien

HSC
Omiigod I LOVE Adam Hills too! I have all his DVDs and I actually spent last Christmas with my family watching the Charaterful and Joymonger. Youtube simply does not have enough Adam Hills clips. Plus, his version of the national anthem is forever embedded in my head.

When did you see Adam? I was actually going to see him during Easter, but then I wasn't sure if I was going to be overseas. Turns out, I never did leave the country and then it was too late. Hopefully, I can go next year, that is, if he does a show.

In other news, I just came back from seeing Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, a New Zealand soprano, at the Sydney Opera House. I set way up at the back, so my ticket was only $35, but it was a great seat nonetheless. In fact, I was closer to the stage than I was at Phantom of the Opera at Lyric Theatre. She sang with the Sydney Symphony, which was amazing and performed in between her performances. To be honest, I felt Dame Kiri's performance was way too restrained, and the Sydney Symphony really carried her through. However, her rendition of Korngold's Mariettas Lied was really heartfelt and none of the recordings I have in my media library match up to it. The Sydney Symphony also performed a piece from Aida, which got me so pumped up about the opera, so now I'm trying to find tickets to the show in the next two weeks. Opera is generally expensive, but I've decided to spend my birthday money from this year on theatre.

Last edited:

jaimebien

HSC
*Subscriptions are a good way to start. Check out season tickets for STC.
Definitely. Subscriptions are a good way into the theatre's backstage as they always offer specially discounted prices and early sales to new shows. Also, you save a lot on transaction fees. The STC YAP group is talking about an alternative ticket package for youth. Instead of having you buy a whole lot of tickets at the start of the year, we're thinking of doing this thing where if you buy a certain number of tickets as you go along the year, you can get the next one free. Kind of like a coffee club card, you know?

jaimebien

HSC
You guys! I've got news! The next YAP event is Accidental Death of an Anarchist on Tuesday, 7pm, 29 September (which is the last week of the school term and around the mid-semester break for uni students) - Accidental Death of an Anarchist. We'll have 100 specially priced tickets, which will be released shortly and I'll post it on Facebook soon. And now, for even better news: Cate Blanchett and Andrew Upton will be chatting with all of us before the show to give us a quick preview of the 2010 program launch and also a little a bit about STC's greening efforts. As usual, there'll be free snacks for the show. I'll let you know more as soon as we get closer to the date and organise ourselves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)