Theatre Thread! (1 Viewer)

johony

HSC
alright, bought my tickets. seeing bustown at atyp the day after too.

i think this is the most theatre i've seen in a month, ever.

jaimebien

HSC
Hurray for BOS! I missed out on getting the spot to introduce the event on the night, but I will try to give out a shoutout to BOSers anyway.

Has anyone else seen the new STC program? I just got it today. AND OMIGGODDD. William Hurt will star in Long Day's Journey into the Night. No idea what the play is about, but William Hurt is one of from favourite actors who starred in one of my favourite movies ever, Children of a Lesser God (a film based on a play). Hugo Weaving, Richard Roxburgh and John Bell will also be in Uncle Vanya--another production of Uncle Vanya was shown at the Sydney Festival a few years back, not with these stars, but it sounds great. A Russian version of When The Rain Stops Falling (which showed earlier this year and is my 10/10 play), if you like. I'm freaking out from all the star power for next year. I'm getting my subscription now now now.

jaimebien

HSC
Just realised Cate is acting in Uncle Vanya too! Cate + Hugo Weaving + John Bell + Richard Roxburgh on the same stage!

six demon bag

HSC
Just realised Cate is acting in Uncle Vanya too! Cate + Hugo Weaving + John Bell + Richard Roxburgh on the same stage!
holy fuck i just exploded. haha. after cate, hugo is my second favourite ever! that whole cast sounds amazing. also william hurt one sounds fantastic. So happy they're doing another version of when the rain stops falling - i missed it this year and was kicking myself afterwards. soooooooo happy!

jaimebien

HSC
Well...I didn't mean it's an exact Russian version of When the Rain Stops Falling...more like, the Russian equivalent, if you will.

When are you putting in your subscription? This year, I got my package with my friend and sister, so I have to sit down and coordinate dates for next year before I can get the new subscription. I'm definitely planning to try to get in Night with the Actors for the William Hurt play, as well as Uncle Vanya. Loving how American-centric the program is!

six demon bag

HSC
Still be keen to see Russian one :)

I don't think I can afford a package! haha. I normally just buy a few days/weeks beforehand and do it that way. A package would prob make my life a lot easier but I suck at money :(
Night with the actors would be fantastic for both of those.

Also, the whole brochure looks fantastic! Phillip Seymore Hoffman (one of my favourites also) directing and the play with Barry Otto and Frank Woodley! Every synopsis made me super excited haha. I don't think I'll miss much STC at all next year :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
By the end of this week, I'll have worked on three seperate shows (plus, been to the rehearsals of another). I'm going to be so tired by the end of the week. And drunk... definitely drunk from after parties. :D

For those who are interested: Uni show went really well. The next one 'Trumpets and Raspberries' by Dario Fo, opens in two weeks.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Info on above show, taken from an email I got:

Trumpets and Raspberries.
by Dario Fo

'He writes wicked political farce. It's gonna be frantic. And largely humorous.
So come. Or I'll get heaps sad and write some poetry and end up fumbling my way through life with minimum wages, chronic depression, and a wife I'm not attracted to.

There's six shows so we need as many keen theatre-goers as we can get.
Bring your whole crew; your mates, your work, your family... hell, do a good deed a buy a ticket for a homeless person. '

VENUE: University of Wollongong, Faculty of Creative Arts, Building 25
WHEN: 13-17 October, Tuesday-Saturday 8pm (Saturday Matinee 2pm)
BOOKINGS: 02 4221 4889
$20 full, $12 conc., $10 FCA students

six demon bag

HSC
Info on above show, taken from an email I got:

Trumpets and Raspberries.
by Dario Fo

'He writes wicked political farce. It's gonna be frantic. And largely humorous.
So come. Or I'll get heaps sad and write some poetry and end up fumbling my way through life with minimum wages, chronic depression, and a wife I'm not attracted to.

There's six shows so we need as many keen theatre-goers as we can get.
Bring your whole crew; your mates, your work, your family... hell, do a good deed a buy a ticket for a homeless person. '

VENUE: University of Wollongong, Faculty of Creative Arts, Building 25
WHEN: 13-17 October, Tuesday-Saturday 8pm (Saturday Matinee 2pm)
BOOKINGS: 02 4221 4889
$20 full, $12 conc., $10 FCA students

Again, HSC :( I wish I could attend! I promise I'll go see one post-exams! haha.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
lol. I don't blame you. There's so much on for you all right now.

jaimebien

HSC
So...as of 2pm today, there were only 4 tickets left of Accidental Death of an Anarchist. Yay! Anyone else still undecided about whether they're going tmr? Btw, six_demon_bag, I just sent you a PM.

jaimebien

HSC
Yeah it was! It was so nice to finally meet BOSers in person--six demon bag and johony.

How stunning is Cate in real life? After the talk, I went up to the front and I was this close to her. I was tempted to say hi, but then I would have gushed, so I just did the polite thing and smiled at her--and she smiled back. :)

Everyone I spoke to afterwards was talking about the tattoo her tummy and how they expected her to be much taller. I loved how frank Cate and Andrew were during the Q&A. I'm interested in seeing Robin Hood, which is the film Andrew mentioned which features Cate and William Hurt--but I'm even more excited about his play Long Day's Journey into Night.

What did you think of the play? In terms of the political satire, I thought it was pretty decent, but not groundbreaking. However, what I got most from it was the instability of identity. I didn't get the purpose of the journalist at all--other than sex appeal. I loved the lead actor, Brett Stiller, and I might go to Oresteia because I think he'd be pretty amazing in a dramatic play. I looked Brett up on IMDB, and he has a pretty decent filmography. He's one of the few STC actors I've seen who seems to straddle between theatre and (mainstream?) Australian TV/films--rather successfully I might add.

six demon bag

HSC
Yeah the main actor was brilliant! I liked the play more as it went along. At the beginning I liked but I wasn't completley into it but I couldn't help but be drawn in by the amazing physical theatre (brilliant!) and all the cute jokes. I walked away very entertained. I was really pleased with the monlogue from the main guy about cynisism and such - I understood the message the whole way through but I really felt it needed something like that to tie it all together. In retrospect, I really loved how it just escalatyed into chaos! I didn't like it as much as I have other STC productions I've seen, but I did have a very good time watching it :)

Cate - amazing! I wrote something similar on the other thread but I'll just write it again. The fact that she came late/constantly fixing hair and top/exposing tattoo/limited-no makeup was so refreshing! she still managed to look incredible though. same with upton - he looked scruffy in such a cute way! I was expecting them to be done up nicely and such and for them to speak in the actual theatre but I was so pleased it didn't happen that way. T'was so intimate and lovely! I agree with loving their frankness. I think it's so rare and fantastic to have someone of her international success and popularity to be less of a 'celebrity' and more an artist than anything. She's such an amazing artist! I'm surprised I could contain myself when she was a metre away from me - she smiled at me too! See you next Wednesday, Blanche :)

And in general, it was just a great night - got to meet a few people who also love theatre - young people who love theatre! and see an extremely fun play. And to prove that Cate actually exists! Fun had by all :)

johony

HSC
my turn..

agree with six demon bag on the notion that she couldn't get into the play initially - the exaggerated acting i gradually got sick of, but became very appropriate during the last third of the play. overall, really enjoyable - and perfect for the audience they're trying to reach.

hate to be a party pooper, but cate i recall didn't say much at all and was a little distant in the 5-10 mins she was there. maybe she was a little flustered from being late, i don't know.

six demon bag

HSC
She didn't say heaps, but it was okay because was just as interested in hearing what Andrew had to say :) Would've been nice to hear her lovely, surprisingly deep voice a little more though :)

shcottydont

sweet i get a title!!!
HSC
anyone else seen 'Wicked'?

possibly one of the best musicals of all time (phantom, Billy Elliot, boy from oz are up there)

anyway we saw it as a preview and it was amazing! but the one plot hole which annoyed me was that 'Boq' is a munchkin NOT TALL so his character has flaws at the end. the song defying gravity is so great, but i found a new favorite once i understood the whole concept behind the music 'For Good'

six demon bag

HSC
Streetcar was incredible. The whole time I was just totally drawn to Cate - I couldn't imagine a better Blanche! Joel Edgerton was brilliant! I hadn't seen anything with him in it pre-Streetcar and he just blew me away. Such a strong performance. Robin Mc'Cleary was also fantastic - the whole cast was - they all complimented eachother. But Cate, Oh Cate, I want to be you! She was just magnificient. I don't think I've ever seen such an intense performance in my life. I was jittery for half the trip home - and I live on the Central Coast haha. She just displayed Blanche's vanity/desperation/tragedy so perfectly. Absoluteluy incredible.

I really liked how they did the set/props too. Set design was pretty simple, but worked well for such a performance-driven play. Stanley/Stella's house was almost exactly how I'd imagined it when I read the play (as was Stanley) which I really liked. They stuck to the play really well, but there were a few little changes in characters and dialogue which just gave it a little bit extra.

I loved how they did the proxemics - for the first scene, rather than playing it out and then having Blanche appear - as in the play, they had it so that she was on the side of the stage (presumably riding there on the Streetcar named Desire) which worked beautifully. Still, I just couldn't look away from her from the whole play.

Definitely something I'll remember for a very, very long time.

Sorry about rambling haha.

And Shcottydont (lol at name), I haven't seen Wicked yeat, but I'm hoping to very soon! Hoping it lives up to the hype! haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)