Those Magnetic Number Plates (1 Viewer)

munchybuddy

HSC
Those Magnetic "P" Plates

Hey i just got my new car "Mitsubishi Lancer" and ive been using those magnetic "P" plates that stick on the paint.
Ive been told by numerous people that i shouldnt use those cause it wrecks the paint or somethin.....
Is this true? If so, what actually happens? Or does it just happen to certian colours? i.e. mine is black...
I cant use those metal bracket things because my number plate has like a glass cover thing over it and i dont wanna try an get it off, also after July 1, u are not allowed 2 hav "P" plates on the inside of ur car, so i kinda have to have the magnetic ones..

Thanks every1

Last edited:

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i've been using magnetic p plates for ages and they haven't damaged the car at all
it's fun to throw them at the car :eek:

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
ooh, where do you get them? I need some cause my p plates keep falling from my number plate and I can't keep them in my car anymore :( (well not in like a weeks time)

munchybuddy

HSC
Exphate said:
I use the magnetic Ls on the car. Works fine.

And GOOD. No more whinging from me :p

But you didnt change the thread title ;)
I tried but it didnt work- LOL

MuffinMan said:
ooh, where do you get them? I need some cause my p plates keep falling from my number plate and I can't keep them in my car anymore :( (well not in like a weeks time)
U can get em from any supermarket etc, but its probably betta if u go 2 a proper car shop cause they would probably b betta quality

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
most petrol stations sell them.

i have heard that they can ruin your paintjob too, but i dont remember it happening to someone i know.

but you need to be careful that the plates you get have a strong magnetic force, so that they dont fall off if you are going fast, otherwise the wind will peel it off. and yes, it has happened to someone i know, twice.

i do know for a fact that proper magnets on your fridge (hey, they hold 10 papers bettter than those calendar ones) will damage the paint if they stay there for a while, but the strength of those magnets are like a hundred times greater. maybe the magnet combined with hot weather might damage the paint? but then, you wouldnt have to worry about hot weather for a while with this weather...

i prefer paint possibly getting scratched under the number plate than relying on a sticking mechanism to save me from a police fine. as legitimate as "my plates fell off" may be, they have heard it more than enough to start believing it.

Last edited:

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
they fucking stuck to my car an fucked the paint.
u can see a square where it use to sit
i fixed it up tho

HSC
Re: Those Magnetic "P" Plates

Yeah, I'm going to start using magnetic ones from 1st July.

My parents tried looking for those braces, but everywhere they looked they were sold out. :(
em_516 said:
i've been using magnetic p plates for ages and they haven't damaged the car at all
it's fun to throw them at the car :eek:
Haha, I have to have a go at that. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

I always take them off and put 'em back in diff spot to prevent them from getting stuck/damaging paint (and stop ppl nicking them) but then now everytime take them off and on again, it's left marks from the magnet/edge? *shrugs*

Still better than the cheap plastic one which will definitely damage paint on/off.

On a sidenote, has anyone found the P plate holders which clip onto your number plate yet? Everywhere's out of stock ><

alby

cool duckie
HSC

veterandoggy said:
but you need to be careful that the plates you get have a strong magnetic force, so that they dont fall off if you are going fast, otherwise the wind will peel it off. and yes, it has happened to someone i know, twice.
i had one of my magnetic L's fall off and i was only going 50-60. i think we found that one (eventually), but it must've come off again caus now i only have one

CieL

HSC

I've only seen one instance in which the plates have been stuck down like it was held by superglue..

That was the period when Syd constantly hit 40C.. and my friend drove a black car.. and parked outside alot..

Self explanatory.

In the end he had to really really carefully get it off, and get the paint buffed out.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
At least you can stick magnetic p-plates to the back of your car. I have nowhere at all to stick them on the back of my car. Front is okay. The licence plate is in a depression, and my tail lights cover a great portion of the car. The one place i could place a p plate is curved and the p plate doesn't fit there anyway. Currently I have a P plate at the window, you know the electro static kind. Perfect. Never comes off either.

So as soon as I can I am going to rock up to the RTA, and hopefully they'll sort me out. I contact them via email but got a substandard response that was half generic and half... something else...

CieL

HSC
Sort you out.....?

Get a plate holder.

I have the same problem as you.

And my car came with a numberplate frame which doesn't make things easier.. I can't wedge it between my car and my plate even if I wanted to.

j_davo24

HSC
Theres heaps of space for magnetic ones on that car. Check out all of that bumper there. How big are these magnetic plates you're talking about... Lol.

Pace_T

HSC
hey this is a bit off topic, but from the 1st of july where do we put our plates at the front of the car? is it legal if w e put it behind the *front* number plate? im asking coz the prick cops hassled me today to take it off the inside dashboard thingymajig and i argued saying it wasnt 1st of july yet lol. i dont wanna risk it with the magnetic ones, ive seen how it can ruin paint. and those plate holders are the ugliest fkn things in the world so theyre out of the question lol

IP_freely

evo 9 ftw
HSC
Pace_T said:
hey this is a bit off topic, but from the 1st of july where do we put our plates at the front of the car? is it legal if w e put it behind the *front* number plate? im asking coz the prick cops hassled me today to take it off the inside dashboard thingymajig and i argued saying it wasnt 1st of july yet lol. i dont wanna risk it with the magnetic ones, ive seen how it can ruin paint. and those plate holders are the ugliest fkn things in the world so theyre out of the question lol
LOL, did they actually pull you over?

Pace_T

HSC
yeh i always get pulled over by coppers :confused:

munchybuddy

HSC
Pace_T said:

They cant be on the window, im pretty sure u hav to hav em near ur number plate, so ur gunna have 2 get magnetic or a metal bracket for ur P's, i suppose ur just gunna hav 2 hav those ugly plate holder until u get off ur P's an on 2 ur silver licence..

Although, my friend was tellin me 2day dat there is sum thing that u can actually clip onto ur numberplate.. not a bracket but sumfin else.. Dunno if its true tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)