TIPS for getting ur first job for HSC finishers!!! (1 Viewer)

Brontecat

HSC
1. Get in early; don't wait until December 20th to decide that now would be a good time to pick up work as a Christmas casual. Do, get in around late-Nov/early-Dec when the retail stores will actually have time to train you.
p.s. This is also beneficial if you think you bombed your HSC, because you can say how you've recently finished year 12 and are awaiting results ;)
2. For people with little experience (or basically nothing to write on their resume) try applying at a store that focuses on other stuff or doesn't require a resume when you apply. e.g. Maccas, Target etc.
3. Talk yourself up, they don't know you & they won't bother getting to know you unless you sound like a motivated worker who is eager to learn.
4. Pick a job that you could actually succeed at as a worker; if you are unbelievably slow at everything, maybe that job at Gloria Jeans in the busiest Westfield around isn't for you.
5. Remember to include volunteer work on your resume; it shows that you can be motivated without the need for money, which is definitely a good sign. No volunteer work? Then go volunteer at the salvos store for a couple of weeks just to get some experience with stocking shelves, POS software etc.

That's all I can think of atm, hope my tips are ok :)

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
prepare to suck a lot of c*ck

a trustworthy friend who's worked at the place of interest is also useful in introducing you

hello-there

HSC
Lols, thanx for the replies esp. Brintecat
Umm...do u think its a good idea to just go to various stores and just ask them if they need another hand? as opposed to what i have been doing which is just emailing my resume to all sorts of jobs (which seems to be a fail atm :( ).

HSC
tips : get a job DURING/BEFORE your hsc ( best at the end of yr10)

its extremely hard to get your first job when you are 18, you cost too much .

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Umm...do u think its a good idea to just go to various stores and just ask them if they need another hand? as opposed to what i have been doing which is just emailing my resume to all sorts of jobs (which seems to be a fail atm ).
Look in your newspaper, and also online. Business will advertise there, and you usually just have to give them a call.

You can just go store to store handing in resumes, but the success rate varies greatly.

Also, keep asking friends and people in your network. That's one the the main ways people find out about jobs.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
Get D cups, and show heaps of cleavage when giving out resumes. Seems to work for places like Crazy Clark's here.

MysteryGenius

HSC
F@CK!!!
I'm 18 and looking for work...
I'm gonna be a hobo for the rest of my life D:

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
The fact you don't have a job. 83% of employers look for attractive employees since it increases business.

hello-there

HSC
lul did u make up that percentage. Anyways what are some good stores to start working at?

twistedrebel

HSC
Retail sales are low, i got offered at myer xmas casual even done all the training. Still waiting for them to call me for work.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
1. Get in early; don't wait until December 20th to decide that now would be a good time to pick up work as a Christmas casual. Do, get in around late-Nov/early-Dec when the retail stores will actually have time to train you.
p.s. This is also beneficial if you think you bombed your HSC, because you can say how you've recently finished year 12 and are awaiting results ;)
2. For people with little experience (or basically nothing to write on their resume) try applying at a store that focuses on other stuff or doesn't require a resume when you apply. e.g. Maccas, Target etc.
3. Talk yourself up, they don't know you & they won't bother getting to know you unless you sound like a motivated worker who is eager to learn.
4. Pick a job that you could actually succeed at as a worker; if you are unbelievably slow at everything, maybe that job at Gloria Jeans in the busiest Westfield around isn't for you.
5. Remember to include volunteer work on your resume; it shows that you can be motivated without the need for money, which is definitely a good sign. No volunteer work? Then go volunteer at the salvos store for a couple of weeks just to get some experience with stocking shelves, POS software etc.

That's all I can think of atm, hope my tips are ok :)
+1

The three biggest things people do wrong are:
1. They apply really late. You should apply in October/November if you want interviews in December/Xmas casual time.

2. They can't bring themselves to write a resume. It isn't that hard to make one, even if you don't have much to put on it.

3. They put down really narrow available times. Just say that you're available at all time - they'll most likely hire you this way - and then swap shifts if you need to.

MysteryGenius

HSC
The fact you don't have a job. 83% of employers look for attractive employees since it increases business.
LOL you definitely made up that statistic
but wouldn't that just mean that i'm lazy? since i've pretty much only just started looking for work..

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
No I didn't. It's a known fact. And it just means you're unattractive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)