TIPS for getting ur first job for HSC finishers!!! (1 Viewer)

red-butterfly

HSC
its extremely hard to get a job after HSC (since everyone is thinking of doing the same thing) I'd have to agree that you DEFINITELY get a job earlier than 18

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i'd say apply for xmas casual positions halfway through the year, like july/august.

don't necessarily use the same cover letter/resume for every job application. if you're applying to multiple DIFFERENT places (myer/david jones/target/big w would not be considered different, but myer/vodafone/some IT company/some office job WOULD be), note down your skills that would be relevant to each job.
eg typing speed is more relevant for a job which involves using computers, as opposed to serving customers, so no need to mention it in a resume for a department store.

your first job should be before you finish your hsc, no matter how crappy the pay is, because if you dont have any experience then no one will wanna hire you.
normally ppl work for maccas/kfc etc at 16ish years of age, but congrats if you can manage to score a job at myer/dj's with no experience :p

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
god, applying for jobs just makes me sick. Nearly all websites online are so shit. they're badly designed, no one reads ur application online. Iv'e applied numerous times at various places. Even scored 3 interviews. KFC interviewer didn't even appear on the day so i was like f%ck that, (they even got my name completely wrong in the email, and the email had spelling mistakes, so unprofessional, so I just left. I don't want to work at a food store. but looks like theres not much choice. hungry jacks interview went really well, but never heard a thing after that. they said they were gona do 2nd interviews. the joint was run by indians and the office wasn't even an office, it was so messy slummy. Maccas interview went okay, but went home, and email said "Another Applicant has been chosen, sorry please apply again". My resume looks pro, I do well at school, I have really well behavior, yet no one hires. ><

Iv'e been inside coles 4 times asking for jobs, went to target to hand in resume, same with jb-hi-fi.
Iv'e been applying probably for 3 years, still nothing. One person told me I need to apply at 100 shops just to maybe hear one response back.

One of my mates got a job, and he didn't even hand in a resume. i'm like wtff. He doesn't even study, does shit at school (shit subjects, puts no effort) etc and he got a job!!

I'm 17 and still havn't had a job. Am I doing something wrong, I don't know. All that i know is that it's really boring staying at home, having limited money to spend and go out, and half the time your family saids go out and get a job ... its so fuckin annoying at times.

Last edited:

MysteryGenius

HSC
god, applying for jobs just makes me sick. Nearly all websites online are so shit. they're badly designed, no one reads ur application online. Iv'e applied numerous times at various places. Even scored 3 interviews. KFC interviewer didn't even appear on the day so i was like f%ck that, (they even got my name completely wrong in the email, and the email had spelling mistakes, so unprofessional, so Ijust left. I don't want to work at a food store. but looks like theres not much choice. hungry jacks interview went really well, but never heard a thing after that. they said they were gona do 2nd interviews. the joint was run by indians and the office wasn't even an office, it was so messy slummy. Maccas interview went okay, but went home, and email said "Another Applicant has been chosen, sorry please apply again". My resume looks pro, I do well at school, I have really well behavior, yet no one hires. ><

Iv'e been inside coles 4 times asking for jobs, went to target to hand in resume, same with jb-hi-fi.
Iv'e been applying probably for 3 years, still nothing. One person told me I need to apply at 100 shops just to maybe hear one response back.

One of my mates got a job, and he didn't even hand in a resume. i'm like wtff. He doesn't even study, does shit at school (shit subjects, puts no effort) etc and he got a job!!

I'm 17 and still havn't had a job. Am I doing something wrong, I don't know. All that i know is that it's really boring staying at home, having limited money to spend and go out, and half the time your family saids go out and get a job ... its so fuckin annoying at times.
omg
this is almost the exact same situation i'm in at the moment! .. the only difference being that i finished school and now i'm at uni
and i have a few friends who also don't study and were really crappy students and got work pretty much straight away only because they knew someone or are related to someone working at the store
i guess having connections would be handy =/
i'm so tired of this...

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
omg
this is almost the exact same situation i'm in at the moment! .. the only difference being that i finished school and now i'm at uni
and i have a few friends who also don't study and were really crappy students and got work pretty much straight away only because they knew someone or are related to someone working at the store
i guess having connections would be handy =/
i'm so tired of this...
yeah, thats exactly right, he had connections. i know another friend she got a job instantly only because her family knew the manager there. so who wants to come spam 100 resumes at westfields ? :D (I know bit late, but better late then never i'll say)

MysteryGenius

HSC
yeah, thats exactly right, he had connections. i know another friend she got a job instantly only because her family knew the manager there. so who wants to come spam 100 resumes at westfields ? :D (I know bit late, but better late then never i'll say)
that's so lame...and unfair!
haha dw i definitely will be spamming every single store in and around my area
and if there's a chance of getting employed somewhere, why not ^.^
man, the hippies are gonna hate us after all of this... so many trees!

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
i'm not very fond of wasting my ink :( hmmm what shall it be black and white or colour. someone said resumes r pointless for casuals. just write you name and number on sheet of paper and they'll get back to you. :/

MysteryGenius

HSC
mine's just black and white... screw using colour ink
really? i didn't know that.. i always thought that you had to hand in resumes no matter what

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
mine's just black and white... screw using colour ink
really? i didn't know that.. i always thought that you had to hand in resumes no matter what
some places just accept application forms. man i go above and beyond and still don't have a job to this day. from reading other peoples comments they got casual jobs but still havn't been called for shifts, so so much for that then. ehh jobs are overated. :)

MysteryGenius

HSC
some places just accept application forms. man i go above and beyond and still don't have a job to this day. from reading other peoples comments they got casual jobs but still havn't been called for shifts, so so much for that then. ehh jobs are overated. :)
yeah i forgot about those places
that's kinda sad really =/ i mean, after all that effort you'd be expecting some sort of result by now.. it sucks that it hasn't happened yet
i guess it wouldn't be so bad if i got stuff from centrelink haha

exactamundo

suling

HSC
Tip: come live in Armidale. I got the first job I applied for...mind you, I was 15. :p

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I only got a job because I did work experience there a few years before, living in Armidale doesn't mean you'll always get a job.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I only got a job because I did work experience there a few years before, living in Armidale doesn't mean you'll always get a job.
I did 1 week work experience at my place but still unsuccessful, just like wtf.

also i have 2 weeks and 3 days previous work expeirence all up and still am unable to get a simple casual fucking job. so every time i here the word job, work, it just makes me want to knock someone out, grrrr ><

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I only got an interview at the Telstra shop after apply for like 15 jobs and I still didn't get the position there.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I only got an interview at the Telstra shop after apply for like 15 jobs and I still didn't get the position there.
yeah lifes sometimes shit for hardworkin people, and for bums, life gets shitter for them eventually -_-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)