TIPS for getting ur first job for HSC finishers!!! (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
So I shouldn't mention all my awards and my awesome ATAR because they won't pick me?

But other than that... I'm an empty shell =(

No job for me then I suppose. Unless they want to pick me for my dashing good looks - which are non-existent, but anyway...

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I just worked one shift a week, and took leave during exams. Not stressful at all.

I guess it depends on the job/hours/travel time etc.
ahh yeah, is that nice? where'd did you work? and when did you apply for it?

ochaguy

HSC
If you know what degree/industry that you want to work in, it makes more sense to start off with an internship in that industry rather than a generic "first job."

Sure, you make an economic sacrifice, but your CV and referees will be top notch quality. And you'll actually have more to say about your job than just "providing quality service on an interpersonal level...."

Google around for start up companies with offices near you. They're more likely to need free labour and you'll actually feel needed and responsible. Don't feel scared about calling them yourself. More often then not, "the secretary" will be the director or even the CEO of start up companies.

Throughout 2010, I've had 4 jobs and have only been unemployed for 2 weeks. And I've never worked in retail or customer service.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It sucks that I have no idea what I want to be.

Though walking up to the ABS or some applied mathematics modelling place wouldn't exactly be the best place for them to admit me as an apprentice of some sort...

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I never said I wasn't going to get a job in uni, get your facts right! Year 12 > stress than uni*, because you have to learn biggest BS topics that you're not even interested in. At least in UNI you actually learn something worthwhile and keeps you motivated. board of studies < UAC :D

*Unless Uni is another load of BS, that changes EVERYTHING -_- :(
you are so naive and ignorant it's so cute

Lydia_88

HSC
I didn't start my first job (it was only xmas) in first year... i guess just go for anything that comes, then you can stay in company for 6 months then quit.

twistedrebel

HSC
So I shouldn't mention all my awards and my awesome ATAR because they won't pick me?

But other than that... I'm an empty shell =(

No job for me then I suppose. Unless they want to pick me for my dashing good looks - which are non-existent, but anyway...
Retail is about underselling yourself

Bored Of Fail

Banned
HSC
N/A
lets just say they would rather hire dux of james ruse rather than this guy : http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1945292

but then you are going to say why the hell is dux of ruse applying for a retail job

I love that video

fuking love it at 20second mark when headbutts the warmer thing

HSC
I started school earlier so I'm a HSC graduate at 17 years of age. Interesting how people say to work in retail, you need to undersell yourself, I don't believe that advice but i guess its better than overselling yourself which tells the employer that your arrogant (don't think retail is for me though). My best bet would be to find an unpaid job which lies in the field of accounting or finance. Anyone have any idea of where i could 'find' such jobs?

SmokedDuck

HSC
First job? It's been a fair few years since my first job, but I'll do my best to give some advice. So the first thing you need to do is sit down and figure out what you want from this "job" thing. Is it going to be just a job, or are you looking at a career? Once you've done this, spend a day researching people, organisations and fields in that industry. Work out who is an industry leader, who you should stay away from, which field you want to enter etc etc. Then make a list of places to apply. Pick the best 10, 20 or even 30 places and have that list handy. Research them well and then have a look at your resume.

It's more than likely that your resume looks like tumbleweeds are going past or is a polar bear in a snowstorm. There won't be too much there to see. That's okay though. You probably need to promote your personality here, rather than your achievements. A good idea is to talk to professional resume people to set a resume out. Otherwise do your own and have a few management types you know look at it. Ask some people what they think your strengths are and put them down. Put your contact details down. Get half a dozen references from people who have no real relationship with you - teachers, principals, local identities who have done something with you etc etc. Having interviewed people myself in a past life, the best resumes - and the ones who got an interview - were one page and had all I needed to know. Luckily for you it probably only takes one page! :D People do contact your referees, so don't make people up. And we will recognise an older voice or a younger voice. And we may call back from a different phone with a different voice. We've being around the block a few times you know... Send your resumes out to the people on the list and wait. Persevere with it by the way. No one likes a quitter. You big girl.

If and when you get an interview, be ready to be quite modest but confident in your abilities. Be straight up with us. If you are willing to work your guts out then say so. If you aren't really and just want a paycheck then don't say you will work your guts out. If you say you are reliable be reliable. WE WILL SACK YOU OTHERWISE! We've given you a chance and we want to see that repaid.

When you get that job, go in and do everything you said you would and more. If you are given a job to do, ask for a second or even third job so you don't get lazy. Use your initiative and don't watch the clock. If you do a job once then next time try doing that job just a little quicker next time. We've given you a chance and want to see you improve, but if you rest on your laurels there's the door. It's a hard slog for the first 5 years, but over time you will really become invaluable. Those little basic things you tried to do better each time will eventually come back in cash and promotions with some luck.

So that's pretty much it. You need luck to get that first job, but when you do make it count. Planning will help considerably as well as having a clear direction. Good luck!

HSC
N/A
^ not sure that info is very relavent to a 18-19yr old

For most people their first job with either be retail or fast food, and not alot of what you said is relavent to those areas.

Ok, yes, no one wants a bludger for a worker but the problems people have with their first job is not the actual job itself, but GETTING the job. For example, in fast food a 19yr old stands no chance against a 15yr old in terms of getting a job/ how many hours of work they get per week. There is like an $8/hr pay difference between them.

Taking myself as an example, I have a job in fast food and I am 19yrs old , I am very productive and generally the shift runs smoothly when I am on, and even the managers appreciate how hard I work to keep the shift as smooth as possible, but I still only get 5hrs of work a week presently when it is uni hollidays and I have indicated that I could work everyday ( if absolutely neccessary ) it is fairly obvious that if you are old in retail, no matter how good you are at your job, you will either get very few hrs of work ( or if you are attempting to apply when you are already 19 they will not hire you )

SmokedDuck

HSC
Fair enough. Let me explain.

Firstly, that's why I said people need to sit down and figure out if it's a job or a career. And the essentials are still the same. As a former employer, when I hired people I looked at one page resumes only due to lack of time. If I wanted a career I researched who was the best and started their. If I wanted a job I still made a list of who I could work for. When I interviewed I wanted to see whether they knew anything about the company or not. That went for both jobseekers and career-minded people. When I got the kids straight out of high school, the ones I ALWAYS chose were the one's who did some research. And I always checked referees.

When I applied for any job in my career, I went through that process. I researched everything. When I went for my first job, I bullshitted my way in to it. Got sacked three weeks later. Told them things I couldn't do. The next one I made count, stayed with the company for 3 years and got a killer reference. After that went to another place, was offered 60k a year with only a TAFE Diploma to my name and was laughing. A couple of conferences in Paris and Rome as well as a few locally to top it off. Shit of a place to work but the money was great. 60k a year four years out of high school? That's pretty good.

It doesn't matter what industry you go to, employers look for certain things across the board.

p.s. Kids is an endearing term to me. Don't take it the wrong way!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)