Tips for the Cashier (1 Viewer)

N-voe

HSC
Whether you are a cashier or a valued customer, it'd be pretty swanky to share some tips as to what works for you with me! 8D

Because I have no experience XD And it's my first job. I'm pretty anxious to do well- working with people/customer service seems to be my thing.

While greeting the customer do we ask how they are?
Should we engage in small talk?
How do you pack bags?! T_T
and not drop the 5kg watermelon... 10kg Omo powder.

and what happens if you do. :idea:

HSC
I don't really talk much to customers, I find it difficult to engage with people I don't know at times. But, I try to:

- Greet them with 'hi, how are you?' at the beginning of the transaction.
- Ask them questions about how they want their bags packed, such as "do you want the meat separate" and things like that.
- Ask for Everyday Rewards/Fly Buys (if either are applicable) at the end of the transaction, when they have wallets/purse out.
- Guide them through Pre-Swipe, if they are having trouble.
- If there is a ridiculously big queue (especially now that Christmas is approaching), say something like "I'm sorry about the wait". You might not mean one ounce of it, but it shows the customer that you are aware of the situation.
- If you don't know what a particular type of fruit or veg is, don't be afraid to ask the customer. They should know what they are buying.
- When payment comes, if they are paying cash, tell them out loud how much they have given you (ie, "so thats $150 cash"), and then count change out aloud to them.
- Always say thank you at the end.

This is a pretty random list I know, and I'll post again if anything else comes to mind. It doesn't take long to pick it up, and if you genuniely make an effort, you'll be confident in no time.

Where abouts are you working (ie Coles/Woolies whatever)?

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
^ That's really good.

Especially the counting change aloud bit.. I always do it.. I've learnt by watching the fastest people how they handle money, and I've had people say I count their money faster than those in the bank lol

I always tell people I train to count each individual note because it saves a lot of trouble who believe they're "shortchanged".

Since the area I work at is dodgy I say shit like, if their change was $84 for example.. "fifty-seventy-eighty.... four change" and pull each note from my left hand to my right hand whilst keeping the coins in my left palm.
Separating the notes are important too because it might be stuck together and you've actually given them $104 instead of $84.
It happens.

Also, when I do that I've never had a problem with customers trying to trick me.. because I know and watch what I count and I've proved what I've counted. I've seen several noobs get all confused because they just give a wad of notes and coins to their customers.

I also greet with a hearty "Hi! How are you?" and smileeee.. you should try to engage in conversation, eg. "Oh I like your nails".. make eye contact somewhere in between greeting and farewell.. ask for any special cards.. state the total.. state the total of the change.. say thanks/have a nice day blah blah..

^ believe it or not.. you actually get marked for all those things if you serve a mystery shopper.. and you also get marked for other crap like if you have rubbish on your counter, namebadge, uniform, the way the bags are packed..

Basic rule of thumb for packing bags is just NEVER EVER put detergents and crap with fresh produce.. unless the customer tells you to.. I've had customers which come through with a pack of OMO and a carrot.. I ask them, "would you like this in the same bag or seperately?".. some would want a bag for each [yes.. a whole plastic bag for a carrot].. some would say just dunk them in together cos they'll be home soon anyway..
And just try to pack the bags so they can stand upright by itself.
When packing green bags I like to ask customers how they'd like their bags packed... Some like you to pack as much as possible.. some tell you to try not make it too heavy cos they got bad elbow/backs/etc..

I generally don't have a problem with lifting 10-15kgs over the scanner..
But sometimes some products do NOT have to be scanned and you can search them up on your computer.. such as the 24 pk of cokes, potting mix, 10L waters, etc.. In some cases, the men help me move it over the scanner lol

HSC
CieL said:
^ believe it or not.. you actually get marked for all those things if you serve a mystery shopper.. and you also get marked for other crap like if you have rubbish on your counter, namebadge, uniform, the way the bags are packed..
And some woolworths stores will conduct a "mode of sale" assessment on each operator every week. These test things like uniform, whether you greet the customer, whether you count change out to them, ask for everyday rewards etc etc. This goes back to the Service Manager (generally the assessment will be conducted by a supervisor) and helps to gauge whether or not you will proceed beyond the probation period. Don't worry too much about these though, if you do anything wrong a supervisor will talk you through it (in a casual manner). But everyone has errors on their mode of sale, I've been there two and a half years and are a supervisor myself now (as of last week) and still didn't the meet requirements on everyday rewards cards a few weeks ago (not that I see the point in asking for them when the customer spends $2.50, but anyway).

They're nothing to stress over, just if you see a supervisor hanging around with a clipboard in their hand, maybe act the model employee for those five minutes. :uhhuh:

langlece

HSC
I'm also a slaveways (safeway) supervisor, but not for much longer, so a few tips :)
Really really important tip: When handing back change, put the coins in the customer's hand first, then the notes on top. If you try it the other way it will not work and it'll make the situation awkward.

With dealing with customers, make sure you always acknowledge them, even if it's just a smile, or a hi. Some customers really don't like it if you're all "sup, how are you?". There are 3 main categories of customers.

Green light customers are those who are really open for a chat and you'll see them making strong eye contact, or starting up conversations. They want to chat, don't shoot down the conversation.

Orange light customers are willing to say eg "I'm fine thanks, how are you?" and you can have general conversation, the weather, products they're buying etc, but they won't get too into it. Usually just conversation relating to their shopping being packed etc is fine.

Red light customers are those who might come in with say a baseball cap pulled over their face and are having one of those "I look feral don't talk to me" kind of days. In that case still acknowledge them, but don't start up any unnecessary conversation.

Don't stress about it, it's just a supermarket and people really don't care if you make mistakes. I made a pretty big one on my first day - it involved a check being processed for $100 less than it should have, as the lady didn't tell me she was getting cash out. Not cool.
Just make eye contact and don't be afraid to ask for help. Really big one there.

CieL

HSC
langlece said:
Really really important tip: When handing back change, put the coins in the customer's hand first, then the notes on top. If you try it the other way it will not work and it'll make the situation awkward.
o_O But I always put the coins on top..

I pick up money with my right hand, put notes in my left hand, put coins in the palm of my left hand... take receipt with my right hand.... then I start counting the notes across to the right hand on top of the receipt... lay that down on the customer's hand, then fan the change on top of the notes poker chip style so you can see the change in order from $2 to 5c..

langlece

HSC
Yeah no that's fine, but when most people try it, the customer is never able to actually grab the coins, and most of the time they end up dropping it. You've got practice, but coins under is usually a better methods for the inexperienced :p

proringz

HSC
babikakez said:
I don't really talk much to customers, I find it difficult to engage with people I don't know at times. But, I try to:

- Greet them with 'hi, how are you?' at the beginning of the transaction.
- Ask them questions about how they want their bags packed, such as "do you want the meat separate" and things like that.
- Ask for Everyday Rewards/Fly Buys (if either are applicable) at the end of the transaction, when they have wallets/purse out.
- Guide them through Pre-Swipe, if they are having trouble.
- If there is a ridiculously big queue (especially now that Christmas is approaching), say something like "I'm sorry about the wait". You might not mean one ounce of it, but it shows the customer that you are aware of the situation.
- If you don't know what a particular type of fruit or veg is, don't be afraid to ask the customer. They should know what they are buying.
- When payment comes, if they are paying cash, tell them out loud how much they have given you (ie, "so thats $150 cash"), and then count change out aloud to them.
- Always say thank you at the end.

This is a pretty random list I know, and I'll post again if anything else comes to mind. It doesn't take long to pick it up, and if you genuniely make an effort, you'll be confident in no time.

Where abouts are you working (ie Coles/Woolies whatever)?
Yep, that's basically what I do, especially with the asking what fruit or veg it is because some look really weird and I can't be stuffed to search what it is.

kara42

HSC
CieL said:
o_O But I always put the coins on top..

I pick up money with my right hand, put notes in my left hand, put coins in the palm of my left hand... take receipt with my right hand.... then I start counting the notes across to the right hand on top of the receipt... lay that down on the customer's hand, then fan the change on top of the notes poker chip style so you can see the change in order from $2 to 5c..

Eeeeek, I HATE when cashiers put the coins on top!!! They always slide off. It annoys me so much!

shakky15

HSC
kara42 said:
Eeeeek, I HATE when cashiers put the coins on top!!! They always slide off. It annoys me so much!
yeah lol i agree, but i do it anyway because its easier for me to hand them the notes with the coins on top, and while they fumble with trying to put that in their purse/wallet (or sometimes the smarter ones dump it on the counter and put coins and notes in seperately.. much easier), i tear off the receipt, put it in the bag, and fluff up the bag a bit so i can hand it to them to just slip their hand through the hole lol.

its a matter of what you feel comfortable doing i guess. make sure you say 'have a nice day,' with toothy grin, when you hand the bag to them. customers love that and usually say 'thanks you too' which boosts your morale for the arab with a bag to refund (no receipt, naturally), next in line.

kara42

HSC
shakky15 said:
yeah lol i agree, but i do it anyway because its easier for me to hand them the notes with the coins on top, and while they fumble with trying to put that in their purse/wallet (or sometimes the smarter ones dump it on the counter and put coins and notes in seperately.. much easier), i tear off the receipt, put it in the bag, and fluff up the bag a bit so i can hand it to them to just slip their hand through the hole lol.

its a matter of what you feel comfortable doing i guess. make sure you say 'have a nice day,' with toothy grin, when you hand the bag to them. customers love that and usually say 'thanks you too' which boosts your morale for the arab with a bag to refund (no receipt, naturally), next in line.

HAHAHAHA. Yeahhh.

N-voe

HSC
HEY Awesome ! Yes the coins always slide off my hand when the cashiers put it over our fine glossy Australian notes.:hammer:

I work at Coles! And had my induction. The SDA man was there for too long, and so everyone - like all 15 of us - got paid an extra 30 mins for sitting there listening. and the videos... come on! Telling us how to carry things out by sticking out our bottom 15 times. like we didn't get the first 14... :idea:

rosiefay

HSC
it's not as hard as you think :)
just remember that everyone starts in the same spot.

don't slam the bags down when you finished packing
and know that you can fix anything if you do something wrong.

:)
i've worked at woolworths for three years.

x

bdude

HSC
I usually put the coins on top because when counting money I'll go from largest notes to smallest notes and then the necessary coins on top.

I started counting out large amounts of change after a lady claimed I only gave her $150 cash out instead of $200 - but I don't tend to do it if there's heaps of people or if someone's in a rush.

westlife

HSC
bdude said:
I usually put the coins on top because when counting money I'll go from largest notes to smallest notes and then the necessary coins on top.
same. its easy and quickier, customers then can slide the coins into their wallets.
i've worked at kmart for 2 1/2 years and i like it because of thew people i work with, most are awesume.i can work in most areas, execpt service desk - i get trained in there tomorrow then i'll be a supervisor and hopefully later on team leader, lay-buy is the only area i really dont no. i like to think i can serve at a fast rate, u mite not getv qa conv with the customers but u can get rid of the quenes. however customers can feel ruwshedif they really want to talkv and some really want to talk!!
our store is one of the older ones without touch screens etc so it makes it hard when customers decide to be smartass' and make it personal with the bagging out of the store. things are looking up tho, 2011 a total refit is coming our way and touch screens after xmas

madsam

God among men
HSC
Only chumps say "Hi how are you?" in one sentence, instead you say hello and wait for them to reply before asking how they are, it sounds less forced

If you know they want to talk, just say something thats happening in your life, or something entertaining thats happened recently. A good conversation is more entertaining that baging shit, and after a while your bagging skills become pro

if they have large stuff, ask if they want it in a bag, if tehres something thats in a box and heavy, it'll probably rip the bag cause of the sharp corners ie5kg +

HSC
Babikakez pretty much summed it up. But just never forget to talk to the customer. I cannot stand staff who don't even say hi to the customer or tell them the total of their order! Even if you're a bit nervous trying to talk to complete strangers just at least say 'hello'/'how are you' at the beggining, then don't forget to say the total and thankyou at the end.

CieL

HSC
kara42 said:
That's because you lay your hand out flat, or you dont receive much change.

Try using your thumb.
If you press down between your thumb and 2nd finger, you should get an indent in the note where you can nestle the coins just above the palm.. if you do that you can swing your arm left and right and the coins still won't fall off.

The reason I also put the change on top is for the people who check their change.
And for the ones that don't check their change, they can slide it into their wallet, or the messy ones just scrunch the coins up in the notes and shove it in their pocket.

From experience, if it's on top, you get the customer out faster.

But whichever way suits you.. I can't believe we're having a discussion of coins on top or the bottom rofl

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i used to be a coins on top, then switched after a customer came in and showed me the coins on bottom way, one point she made up is that older customers find it easier with arthritis and such, and we have a lot of them, so i switched, found customers tend to be more receptive to coins on bottom

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)