Tips, Tricks and Advice for the HSC (1 Viewer)

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
Tips, Tricks and Advice for the HSC
Chezza

Chem/Phys/Bio/Senior Science -
Get out the syllabus. Look at one main textbook and have one supplementary textbook. Using one complete source of information is the best option but this is hard to find. (Many textbooks can be overpowering! but don't restrict yourself to only one textbook). Understand the concept for that syllabus dot point. Different textbooks have different ways of explaining and one may be good for one dotpoint but better in another textbook.

Write down whatever you remember (handwritten) in a multi subject book (each subject section will become one of the four modules for the course). Use coloured headings or random colour to keep things interesting (colour coding is very effective).

Read over again and add in the points you forgot. Say everything you wrote for that dot point out loud. For scientific diagrams, draw them out as well (supporting theory with diagrams in the actual hsc improves efficiency and makes your answer clearer). Also include diagrams for points with harder concepts, but use the cd included in the book to print these out (saves time and will be use for later reference)

Cross out that dot point on the syllabus sheet. This is very important! This will give you the satisfaction that you are making progress (very important to keep you sustained and motivated).
Also you will never have to refer to the textbook again for that dot-point.

At the end of each Focus point in a module (about 4 or 5 per module..) do past hsc questions. Creelman is good for this as you can do the questions by topic.

In the Summer Holidays you should hopefully have done 1-1.5 modules. Always be ahead of your class/school. Whilst the class is learning concepts you can spend that time doing practice questions and you will also experience less pressure.
Spend 1 hour-2 hours every day on understanding the theory and then writing the notes.

Notes are useless if you don't understand them. If you only memorise then you cannot adapt to the question.

Maths -
Understand concept.
Write down the formula preferably in colour in a book set aside for formulas.
Do practice questions.
When you find a hard question which you couldn't do or took a while to do, write down extra tips and tricks for your self for later reference. Put these in a book sorted by topic.
Do past paper questions for each topic.
Before test, refer to your self made tips.

Economics/Humanities -
Use textbooks to make notes. YES! You can make notes for economics. Print out the syllabus and allow your textbook to guide you through each topic.

Economics is a dynamic subject. You will have to keep up-to date with recent economics events. In your spare time when your surfing the net, spend just 5 minutes going to SHM website and reading a Gittens article. The key thing is, write down any key/important points you found.

The supplementary workbooks with the textbooks are quite good as well. If you can get your hands on one use them!

Write out practice essays using past hsc questions. Short answer questions are usually to show a display that you understand the concepts and know the definitions.
The long response essay questions are much more than that. They want to know if you can apply these concepts to the real world. Use facts and figures, and specific examples of recent economic events. Also have a structure to your essays. It should answer the question.

English -
You write your class notes in a book.

As soon as you get home, type these notes up. Don't say i will do it later. TYPE THEM UP!
Put these under different conceptual points (not by text)

When it comes to writing you essay you have all your points.. All you have to do is add in the missing words and make it sound as if you are arguing that these points are answering the question.
That is what you are doing. Arguing. Adopt an argumentative voice.

Structure -
Point you are arguing (thesis/answer to question)
These texts are examples which prove my argument

A sub point which proves one part of the argument
After reading this paragraph i should be "oh so that is how this text proves this small point. Oh this is how this small point proves the big argument/answer to the question"

Next sub point (have about one to two subpoints for an essay)

Conclusion: It is clear that these texts through the sub-point examples prove the argument.

E.g.
Question: Human's are greedy and thus bad effects

Thesis: We are losing our humanity due to our greed (the answer to the question)

Point A: Technology has made us destroy morals by artifical creation. Thus as morals form humanity and technology is caused by greed we are answering Point A and the Thesis.

Point B: We are destroying the environment due to expansion. Thus we are removing the connection which attaches us/forms our morals. We are destroying the environment due to our greed in achieving what we want. Therefore answering Point B and the Thesis

Conclusion: Through the texts, Point A and Point B are made evident and thus it is clear that the Thesis is true.

Teaching your peers -
By teaching your peers you will find the flaws in you understanding of concepts. Whilst you can parrot out an answer if you are to explain it to another person then it forces you to understand the concept.

Use examples and real life situations in the sciences and humanities to explain these. This will reinforce your learning.

Constant Learning -
When you get notes in school, TYPE THEM UP STRAIGHT AWAY or make your dot point notes for that dot point STRAIGHT AWAY.

When it comes to test time, you are ready. Whilst others will be making notes, you will have clarified any questions with teachers already and will be practicing past hsc questions.

You cannot go wrong.

NOW WHAT? -

Use this Summer Holiday period wisely. This is the time to get ahead but remember to take breaks! Eating health and exercising will do wonders for your capacity to memorise, concentrate and think clearly.

If you don't do well in one of your exams bounce back stronger! Reflect on your mistakes and MOVE ON. Set yourself goals.. write these down on paper! Give it your best shot. At the end you don't want to be saying, "If i put in more effort i could have done better".

Don't complain about the HSC being unfair and it being all about memorising and how it doesn't test your knowledge. If you are smart enough to know this then do it! Its about tactics!

When feeling low call a friend, talk to family, yes...watch some tv (but restrict yourself. I am going to get off at 4:30. At 4:30 get off!). Make a list of things to do after the HSC. Write these down in a book or notepad file. This will grow incredibly. When you feel the urge to do something which smells of procrastination...write it down and get back to work. My list is huge and I'm ticking these off one by one, enjoying these much more than if I had done these during the HSC. When you know you've done the work the sense of relief and accomplishment is enjoyed with much greater appeal.

Transform your weaknesses and harness your strengths.

You will succeed.

What is your advice, tips and tricks for different subjects and how do you approach study and school in general?

Please rate this thread and rep

Last edited:

lychnobity

HSC
For crammers only:

Begin at least 3 days beforehand.

Cramming Techniques:

Summarise everything into an acronym. Write it out. Then cover it up and try to write the acronym out again. In your head, work out what each letter stands for. Do this about 5 times for each one (per hour).

Find any exam questions and make a plan of how you would answer them

Make stories with the acronyms (if necessary)

Read over acronyms before you sleep.

If you don't like acronyms, but have walls of text: continually summarise the passage, by picking out key words that will trigger the rest of it

Talk to yourself - if you're trying to learn a 200 word paragraph, the specific wording shouldn't be memorised, but rather the flow of ideas.
(Like in English, the actual words don't matter, so if I'm trying to memorise a paragraph, I'll probably have 90% of the same wording, but can fudge the rest and still send the same point across)

Organise the necessary information into list form, and revise it in the last precious hour/minutes before the exam, going over what the acronyms stand for.

Think of something unique about the topic. eg in legal, the case of the Wonderland Club will always be remembered as the paedophile case

Do not drink caffeine, or anything other than water. No pills to stay awake. To stay up late and be fresh the next day, continually wash your face with cold water, and ensure your eyes do not go dry and remain cool. (eye drops or an ice pack. If necessary, chop cucumber slices and put on the eyes).

Go to sleep when your eyes are energised and not about to droop. I cannot stress this enough. If you go to sleep with tired eyes, you will wake with tired eyes. Wash face with cold water before sleeping.

Only take 15 minute power naps. No more, no less. Can only have about 2 in a night.

Always have at least 2h sleep in preparation.

PS. Will keep adding to this.

blackforest

HSC
For crammers only:

Begin at least 3 days beforehand.

I dont call that cramming, cramming is 12 hrs before an exam. But then again, I should change my definition of cramming since it is HSC now.

and to iMAN2, thank you =]

lychnobity

HSC
I dont call that cramming, cramming is 12 hrs before an exam. But then again, I should change my definition of cramming since it is HSC now.

and to iMAN2, thank you =]
Exactly! That's why crammers out there should take my advice on board and start a bit earlier, damn it!

If you take into consideration school assessments, where you're still attending up until the day before, 3 days is the bare minimum for a decent mark

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I write acronyms every time i study anyway.. so i don't consider that to be a "cramming 'technique'"

lychnobity

HSC
I write acronyms every time i study anyway.. so i don't consider that to be a "cramming 'technique'"
fk oath. Is that list specifically addressed to you? No, it's not. So instead of trying to invalidate my post, make yourself useful and contribute in a form other than these inane comments.

It's a general list for those who have nfi what to do a few days out from an exam.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
fk oath. Is that list specifically addressed to you? No, it's not. So instead of trying to invalidate my post, make yourself useful and contribute in a form other than these inane comments.

It's a general list for those who have nfi what to do a few days out from an exam.
wtf dude.. overreaction much?

I AM contributing.. what i basically implied is that it's a useful study technique for everyone and is not necessarily a cramming technique..

now just where did i criticise the list? and how is that not contributing..

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Visual Arts

• Theory: Keep a notice board on your wall and stick up pictures of all the artworks you've looked at in all your case studies. Have a different section of the notice board for each artist (eg. Monet section, Wolseley section, Stelarc section, Kollwitz etc.). You'll eventually be able to describe the artwork so accurately and therefore writing an essay about them will be much easier (this notice board idea is especially good if you prefer to write about Practice or the Structural Frame).

• Body of Work: DO NOT LEAVE THIS UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE. Be consistent. If you start early and work at a steady pace all year long then you'll find yourself close to finishing or finished by mid-August and if that is the case you will then have time to be really pedantic and make minor alterations (like painting the edges of canvases and stuff). That extra half a month or whole month to make sure your artworks are perfect is brilliant AND you may not have to pull any all-nighters. It's also good if your trials are around this time because you will find yourself able to concentrate on your other subjects without worrying too much if you're going to finish your BOW on time.

• VAPD: This is incedibly important. Sure, if the markers are dubious about your work then they'll ask to look at it BUT it's also important in that it helps you to develop your ideas for your BOW. KEEP EVERYTHING. Seriously, everything. If you draw a messy, little sketch in the back of your maths book about how you think you'd like your BOW to be set out then tear it out of your maths book and glue it into your VAPD. If an artwork doesn't work out or isn't cooperating you should still keep it. Keep the actual work, take a photo, glue the photo into your VAPD and write something about how it failed or whatever. You will learn a lot from this. Keeping track of all your ideas helps you to understand how your BOW has developed and allows you to create an image in your mind of what it will look like when complete. By the end of the year you should have at the very least an A4 VAPD full of ideas that didn't/did work out, practice drawings/paintings/etc., notes to yourself and pictures of inspiration.

• Never completely disregard an artwork. Even if you absolutely hate it and think it's going nowhere you must not chuck it out. You never know whether this artwork is going to work or not. Even if it doesn't, you can still include it as part of your VAPD.

Music
  • Listen to a variety of different styles of music. I know you probably have your favourite genre and that's perfectly fine, but seriously, it is hugely beneficial in the long run if you listen to heaps of different styles. If you find it difficult to stick to this then set aside some time - half an hour or so - of an afternoon to just listen to something different. Jazz, rock, pop, classical, Romantic, baroque, dance, hip hop, funk, opera, country, world (and this covers weird French pop music right through to Eastern European circus music), traditional, music from films/musicals, etc. Listen to all of it, take note of the characteristics, appreciate it. It is so, so, so important that you appreciate all kinds of music. Being familiar with so many different styles of music makes exams so much easier.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

Jeee

Banned
HSC
I heart you dearly, iMAN2.
Only thing is, I don't type my notes. I find it harder to review something typed. Also, when you write, your mind is more likely to absorb it + when typing, you may begin procrastinating i.e. opening up a browser etc etc

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
I write acronyms every time i study "
This is quite an effective technique for memorising, especially if you can use funny ones. Visualise what the different words stand for as you remember the acronyms. Write the various acronyms down in random order say you can confirm that these have been solidified in your thinking proccess.

I heart you dearly, iMAN2.
Only thing is, I don't type my notes. I find it harder to review something typed. Also, when you write, your mind is more likely to absorb it + when typing, you may begin procrastinating i.e. opening up a browser etc etc
Hi Jeee, I also hand wrote my Chem and Physics notes (500 pages collectively!). I agree. It does make it easier to sink in and I highly reccomend this method. For subjects like english where people end up typing their notes from their excercise book before an assesment, what i meant was, type up each days of notes straight away. That way, before an assesment all you have to do is a bit of rearranging and making it into an arguement. All your points are already there.

And yes. Procrastination is a KILLLER!!

Awsome advice everyone and great addition by Cinnamonster. Thank you for adding to this resource and hopefully it will be of great use and appreciated by everyone.

Last edited:

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Drama:

IP (Performance):
Start early. If you can, begin this in the preliminary period, so you have something ready from the start. Settle on a definitive script, and then rehearse as much as possible. You can end up tweaking the script later, but it is more important that you practice it. Pick something you can relate to, and don't be afraid to write one if you have good language skills.

Create something in the present if possible, so you just don't end up retelling a story. Also, integrate the audience into your piece if you want to talk directly. It is not a speech or story, it is a performance.

GP:
Spend a week getting all your ideas out and onto paper. Try to have a workable script by week two. Then like IP, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse. Be prepared to give up recess and lunch most days when it gets close to the performance date.

Be aware of other theatre styles. Epic, Tragedy, Mime, Expressionism, Naturalism, Post-Dramatic, Cruelty, Kabuki, Physical etc. Don't settle for a realist scene if that's not what your good at. Find your strengths, and play to them. If everyone keeps themselves physically fit, it will help immensely, as you will be less restrictive, and have more energy for performance.

Exam:
Be aware of the context that surrounds your studies. If the plays have a political or social agenda, you need to know what it is. You need to know what dramatic (script) and theatrical (stage) techniques are being used. Try to incorporate real examples of the play if possible. If not, hypothetical or class work shopped scenes can work as well.

Don't treat it as an English essay. It's not a breakdown of themes, it is an analysis of the theatrics at hand.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
when people say that we should study 3 hours a night, is that counting hw? or just other study?

Pyrokinetic

HSC
when people say that we should study 3 hours a night, is that counting hw? or just other study?
Lies.

Don't listen to any of that. Keep a diary (school diary or whatev), have a to do list everyday for your immediate tasks - ie homework. For larger tasks such as assignments or preparation for an assessment task; break them up into daily goals. Distribute these on your to do lists for each day.

Screw the 3 hours myth. Take as long as you need to do everything on your to do list then lean back and life is yours. This ranges from 30minutes to 6 hours. Deal.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
How much to study?
- Time doesn't matter. Someone could study 2 hours a day another 5 hours and achieve the same result. It's all about learning the correct techniques!

- Don't fall behind on maths homework! Do it as soon as you get it. If a question is taking too long mark it and move on. Ask your tutor or teacher the next day. The HSC is all about time management and technique.

- For english type up your day's notes.

- Aim to do around 2-3 dot-points a day for Chemistry, Physics, sciences etc. Then if you have time maybe a couple of practice questions which support what dot points you just did.

that, and HOW DO WE STOP PROCRASTINATING?!

there seems to never be enough time to do anything!
For procrastination: ways to find and manage lost time

- Make your study routine like a gym work out. Do some parts one day another the next. Don't make it, "ok today all maths, tommorow all english". Do 2-3 different subjects a day as the variety will keep you interested and motivated. That is why we do like 4 subjects a day at school.

- Importantly, you have to improve your concentration span. 1 hour sittings are good. When doing past papers do them under strict time conditions and NOT in parts.

- When you go to study, that is all you are going to do for that set period of time. If it is 1 hour you will study for one hour. Even if you have one question left till you finish your homework, get off after one hour.

- That way your body knows "if i study hard for one hour im going to get a break". That way you will get a concentrated one hour of study instead of 3 hours of "oh whats that outside the window, a bird zomggg so cool waoww i hate the hsc".

- Keep a monthly planner of your months goals. Keep a plan of your weeks goals in your diary. If you have a whiteboard marker or a list you can use, write down the goals for the day. This is VERY IMPORTANT. Make these realistic goals and once you finish your daily goal cross it off! This will give you a motivational boost and I am not kidding, this is extremely important.

- If you have spare time after finishing your daily goals DO NOT DO MORE WORK. Shock of all horrors for every asian parent out there :p. This will keep your brain subconsciously satisified that if i finish my work, i finish my work. versus. if i finish my work i'll have to do more work.

- Keep your parents informed of these goals: daily, weekly and monthly. Once you have finished your daily goals they and you will be satisfied. Your parents are a very important part of your support network and it is their concern for your well-doing that they continiously ask you "have you studied, should you be watching t.v.". Involve them in the proccess, make them feel that their efforts are going to good use. Show them your medium and long-term goals and that with your daily goals you can achieve them. This will reduce a large burden from your shoulders and theirs.

- Excercise, it keeps you motivated, fresh, off the computer, and healthy.

- Get off the computer, delete msn and stop checking your mail 18 times a day. Delete MSN. You can live without it for a year. My stateranker/high achieving friends deleted it and the day hsc finished they installed it back on. Did i stop talking to them at school cause "they were too uncool cause they didn't use msn"... nope.

- When you get the urge or some wicked cool idea, write it down in a notepad file (actually bad idea because that will mean you will have to use the computer), write it down in a book. Add to this list when you get the urge. The satisfaction you will get when you do this after the hsc will be much greater than during the hsc. I'm doing this now and man oh man it feels gooood. Jealous? :tongue:

- When you watch tv during the hsc year, u subconsciously are thinking..."oh man, i should be studying..... >< 10 more mins i guess, ok wait maybe 15 min more...loop". Set time for study. After study time is finished get off study and watch tv, maybe 30 mins for your fav tv show. Watching t.v. puts strains on your eyes and makes you tired so if you can go for a jog instead, it'll be much more healthy and motivational.

btw everyone, rate the thread and please rep. thank you =D

Last edited:

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Mate, what if you need MSN to ask people questions about homework? I often need to ask for help in homework.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
Actually MSN proved vital during my HSC year. It was helpful because it allowed discussion between my friends and myself on internal assessments, and I could communicate with people I didn't see every day (for example, in my extension English classes) and discuss notes and concepts. Sometimes I'd help my friends with problems or questions (or vice versa), and this would actually help me learn my content more thoroughly.

Sometimes you need that extra support and communication, rather than trying to become an introverted cocoon of study and homework.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)