TMAT! The Martial Arts Thread (1 Viewer)

sei

HSC
Originally posted by Wild Dan Hibiki
capoeria is break dancing, not a martial art
no it's not, it's a special kind of martial art in which it's taboo to actually hit the other person.

Iunny

good idea lol

taboo: A ban or an inhibition resulting from social custom or emotional aversion.

W

whsmith

Wing Tsun

Style: Wing Tsun

Loc: Randwick

Check this out guys. I did TKD, Yeah, I know, Its Crap. I got so sick off it, I was mainly doing it for fitness. But after less than a year at Wing Tsun, I felt i had a greater chance of defending myself.

Its Also the largest Martial Arts Organisation in the World, Which does add a bit of credabilit [ Actually, I can see you argueing its actually a bad thing].

URL=http://www.wingtsun.com.au]Wing Tsun Australia[/URL]

Check it Out!

Kofipica

Hapkido, A korean art, sorta like Taekwondo, but better, all their kicks and more, more hand techniques, self defence, falls, rolls, you name it, we probally do it.
Train in Murwillumbah at the gym/Dojang, with a forth dan, second dan and a frist dan and a class of about thirty.
I've been training just over four years there, and reached the level of blue belt (4th Kup). I probally wont stop going throughout the year, as i really need to get out and do the exercise, plus, if i do stop, I'm liable to lose my solid bod ;)
Url is http://www.australianhapkido.com/

-Z-

1) kempokan its very vey simmialr to kenpokani did study dome bjj but coz of growth spurts keep popoing my knees out cant wait till i stop growing so i can go back at which time i will start Muay Thai good fun i all so did wing sun for a time to

2) we train in wallsend

3) about 2 or so yrs

4) no such link that im a were of

schmackers

HSC
N/A
a.) Wing chun... like a few of you.
b.) City branch
c.) umm since yr 9, so that's 3 years.

I only go once a week- wish i had the time to go more often though. i'd definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of picking up a martial arts. it's practical and works- none of that fancy schmanchy stuff. plus its great fun :)

guy

HSC
Originally posted by Komaticom
Magazines always show someone flykicking, and that's bs. No one fly-kicks in self defence. It's defence! You either let the other guy attack, deflect his attack, then take him down (non-lethal), or you run.
I'll refrain from detailing multiple opponent combat because I'm not qualified to do so.
so not true. I have great eye hand coordination, and when i sparr i can block/deflect pretty well, but in a real fight its reaaally hard to anticipate punches because of adrenelin and the best you can do is moving your head really, in some cases the best form of defence is offence. time you take deflecting and taking down you will be taken down on the ground and its all over. if you can drop one guy and bounce around so they can't surround you, you have much better chance.

and self defence class adds don't show flykicking??? it shows stuff like a guy walking up to a car with a pipe in his hands about to attack the guy in the car (us) with a family in the back

so... are you saying if you where "qualified" to detail (i'll assume you meant deal) with multiple apponents you would? Also, wtf is "take him down (non-lethal). are we all such elite martial artists that we would have assumed you meant kill the person somehow whilst fighting multiple people???
Originally posted by Komaticom
Is palming someone up the nasal area, then bending his arm until it breaks considered as martial arts? Because that's what I would do, in a hypothetical situation where my opponent would stand there. Nah, seriously, people only need to know deflections, blocks, armlocks, and how to stomp on a guy's throat to defend themselves. Judo chop!
um you havn't been in a fight before have you

Collin

HSC
N/A
Wing Chun Kung Fu.

Haven't trained for awhile though, courtesy of university.

rishi

lol. nice guys

I been doing martial arts for around 10 years now.

Brazilian jiu jitsu/MT kickboxng/ amd freestyle wrestling

i won a coule of titles and still hold some of the major ones.

if any of u know mainly i train MMA. @ sinosic perosh in concord, top bunch of guys and hardcore training, i got a nice setup in my house.

HARDCORE UFC/PRIDE/MMA FAN lol.. one of my instructors Elvis Sinosic fought in the ufc ;)

Last edited:
HSC
Originally posted by Iunny
Has anyone heard of the martial art Capoeira?

do you have any suggestions for a physically very unfit person who wants to get fit and get slim through learning martial arts?

Yeah, I actually do it. Been doing it for about 5-6 months now. It's awesome stuff. And i'd consider doing this if you wanna get fit..and fit fast. You also get heaps flexible too.
Try it out mate :)

And no, its not break dancing. You could say it's a martial art, just disguised as a dance. There's history behind it...

Seung.Hur

H2O
HSC
I have done martial arts for a period of 11 years; courtesy of my Dad; whom of which was once a Navy official, and going to coax me to go back to Korea for conscription service; at the age of 21.

I started in TKD, WTD-section, Oh-Do-Kwan; then shifted to Mi-Soo-Kwan, Ji-Do-Kwan, then the more mainstream Chung-Do-Kwan; then back to Oh-Do-Kwan again... Then finally ITD-section; MUCH better... no more competition-orientated training crap; and I'm not referring to competitions outside the WTD ring.

During the time I went into Ji-Do-Kwan, I attemptedHapkido; and still doing it to this day. I also did a bit of Hanmudo with my cousin in Korea, and tried Judo, but hated it.

Now, I'm starting Yangmian Kungfu; at Campsie; the website can be located here: http://www.yangmian.com.au

I've been graded 1st Dan Black Belt at the Kukkiwon (TKD), and perhaps attempting 2nd Dan later this year... depending on how the hell I'm going to get there...

Going for my 1st Dan in Hapkido, Yellow belt in Judo (pfft, yeah, I know...), Red belt in Hanmudo; and there is no real belt system in Yangmian Kungfu, but I've trained in Yangmian Kungfu for a year; but you'd be surprised with what you can really get out of the training; though it is pretty steep training costs.

blitzacer

HSC
i wonder if there are any kendo places around sydney...looks interesting.

m3iko

Budokai.. in wollongong ..been doin it since lasy yr ish? its probably the most useless form of martial arts if you still count it as that because you cant exactly chop people in half every time you have an altercation but its fun? my sensei is master in heaps of different martial arts and yeah he knowsheaps of stuff and teachs us how to gauge out peoples eyes etc. n now ive heard so many gross stories abt people cuttin their own limbs off (o_O)
kendo you dont get to use live blades i dont think?

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
hoshin www.hoshin.com.au

in turramurra (north side pride :p)

i also did bujinkan for a few years, the head of the school at hoshin is a buj shidoshi so its all good.

if anyones keen to come check it out i have some vouchers good for 1 free private lesson. pm me. hoshin has some awesome teachers.

when i finish uni im keen to try boxing and some sort of kung fu, just to get a bit of variety.

theres an iaido school at macuni i think. theres a naginata school at chatswood somewhere, im crazy keen to check that out too.

[edit]

naginata! http://home.vicnet.net.au/~austnf/page4.html even tho its historically a womans weapon it looks hell fun.

this is a good page of links, some are out of date but google can fill in the gaps http://www.martialartsworld.com.au/anzsites.htm

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)