Truongs Maths Tutoring, any comments? (1 Viewer)

zhiying

HSC
As an ex-student (finished this year) I'd have to say he was an excellent tutor even though I haven't been there as long as some other people. Yes he is strict but that's only if you can't do some really simple questions and he gets annoyed. I've always been able to answer what he asks me so personally I have never had any trouble with him. Plus he is hilarious! The prices are extremely cheap compared to other tutors, and he has some very good methods and tips from experience that you don't get from school teachers. P.S. hoping to get a job there soon!

Btw he has an obsession with Harry Kewell if anybody remembers...we bought him a life sized cut out of him LOL

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
As an ex-student (finished this year) I'd have to say he was an excellent tutor even though I haven't been there as long as some other people. Yes he is strict but that's only if you can't do some really simple questions and he gets annoyed. I've always been able to answer what he asks me so personally I have never had any trouble with him. Plus he is hilarious! The prices are extremely cheap compared to other tutors, and he has some very good methods and tips from experience that you don't get from school teachers. P.S. hoping to get a job there soon!

Btw he has an obsession with Harry Kewell if anybody remembers...we bought him a life sized cut out of him LOL
Hahaha, that's a pretty good present for him. And somethign different as well. For as long as I've remembered, he's been getting Hurlstone jerseys.

such_such

HSC
Hahaha, that's a pretty good present for him. And somethign different as well. For as long as I've remembered, he's been getting Hurlstone jerseys.
Just a curious note, but why does Sir love Hurlstone so much? Is it just because they're nice?

zhiying

HSC
At first I thought he graduated there, but I think it's just because every year there's of Hurlstone students that go to him?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Just a curious note, but why does Sir love Hurlstone so much? Is it just because they're nice?
They're a nice bunch of kids - and there are so many from there. So yeah, makes sense that he would like them.

annele

HSC
I went to Ngo and Sons for over a year and I have to say it was one of the best tutors I've ever went to. The only reason I left was because the centre didn't provide 2 unit. Ahh I miss Mr Mai, he's strict, funny and his teaching methods are very effective. The best thing about Truong's centre is that you learn so much, not just about Maths or English but also about manners and respect. If you don't have or show any respect (so not bowing when you see Sir or the other teachers at the centre) you have no or little chance of getting in. So make a good impression and if you're lucky enough to get in, work VERY hard and make the most of it. Good luck!

fred_fly

HSC
I go to Ngo & Sons for maths, it's really good. I have Mr Mai for maths, he's a terrific tutor, and funny as well.

sleepybearx

HSC
I'm currently in year 10 and I'm struggling TREMENDOUSLY in maths. Would anyone recommend attending truongs although it's term 2 already? I remember I sat for the test in year 7 and never got a call back so I never bothered. But now I'm feeling worried because my current tutor doesn't improve my marks and I'm failing. Will he help me bring my marks up? Do I have to attend extra classes or anything? I mean it's not that bad... Just that, I don't think I'm stable. I really NEED a maths tutor... any advice or help?!

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm currently in year 10 and I'm struggling TREMENDOUSLY in maths. Would anyone recommend attending truongs although it's term 2 already? I remember I sat for the test in year 7 and never got a call back so I never bothered. But now I'm feeling worried because my current tutor doesn't improve my marks and I'm failing. Will he help me bring my marks up? Do I have to attend extra classes or anything? I mean it's not that bad... Just that, I don't think I'm stable. I really NEED a maths tutor... any advice or help?!
Truonger for life here.

I don't think Truong would be the best choice if you're struggling. They're very helpful, but they'll push you to your limit and cover material very quickly, not exactly what you need if you're struggling. I'd recommend getting a private tutor to get you up to speed and then join when you're more confident in maths.

Good luck!

Last edited:

sleepybearx

HSC
Truonger for life here.

I don't think Truong would be the best choice if you're struggling. They're very helpful, but they'll push you to your limit and cover material very quickly, not exactly what you need if you're struggling. I'd recommend getting a private tutor to get you up to speed and then join when you're more confident in maths.

Good luck!
I DO have a private tutor and he is pretty useless. He doesn't know how to answer some basic questions and he just wastes time buying apps on his iPhone. And I'm mainly worried about next year; year 11 since I'm doing MX1 and I feel very adequate as compared to other students. I don't want to fall behind and I want to excel. I heard that truongs offer extra classes if you're behind a topic or something.

My first maths tutor was very strict he used to slam the blackboard and yell at students and I learnt alot, but however his teaching methods were outdated and his english was poor so it made communication difficult and often lead to misunderstanding. He would hold extra classes on sunday for all his students to just do homework, but if you don't understand what he is saying he will rage and run his fingers through his hair.

Honestly, I am struggling but only because I'm lazy and by struggling I mean: Not doing homework for nearly 2 terms. BUT i'm still getting good marks. A's and mainly B's. However, I lack MOTIVATION, probably because I'm feeling that I need a tutor. and I just have this belief that 'I can learn this at home' but I never do it.

Would it be recommended to start, even though its TERM 2?!

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I DO have a private tutor and he is pretty useless. He doesn't know how to answer some basic questions and he just wastes time buying apps on his iPhone. And I'm mainly worried about next year; year 11 since I'm doing MX1 and I feel very adequate as compared to other students. I don't want to fall behind and I want to excel. I heard that truongs offer extra classes if you're behind a topic or something.
Oh dear.

sleepybearx

HSC
indeed. indeed. I dread maths so badly because of his lack of support and responsibility in assisting me to get high marks, it more like a: HERE is the sheet. Do it. Mark it. KTHNXBAI.

Should I try for truongs...?!

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
indeed. indeed. I dread maths so badly because of his lack of support and responsibility in assisting me to get high marks, it more like a: HERE is the sheet. Do it. Mark it. KTHNXBAI.

Should I try for truongs...?!
As I said, it may not be the best idea if you're struggling. Find a decent maths tutor and try joining when you're more confident. Your experience there will be a lot more fluid and comfortable if you join on a high rather than on a low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)