Truongs Maths Tutoring, any comments? (1 Viewer)

boredofimgur

HSC
N/A
It's late at night and I happened to stumble across this thread/forum. I must say, there's a lot of mixed opinions and weird accusations going on.

For those looking at joining the centre - the entrance exam is more of a tool to determine which class you'd be suitable for. It's not there to give preference to the students that do well.
Selection is based on a number of factors, especially your final answer. If you display a positive attitude towards learning then your chances will definitely increase. If you are polite and show proper manners then your chances are further increased.

Nowadays, Truong is definitely not as strict and intimidating as he used to be so you shouldn't worry about that. He does like to crack a lot of jokes and lighten the mood in the room but this can quickly change. It's probably more of a way for him to control the class and plead for select students to up their game.

With regards to a member claiming the centre/Truong to be money focused and hungry - he is definitely a very generous and modest individual. What other doctor drives an early 90s Camry? He is a philanthropist that donates regularly. I believe the reason why he hires ex-students is because he knows them well. Not all of them have scored the best in their cohort but after many years of teaching them he would have been able to develop the trust in them for them to take his place. Think of it as a very long interview. He also does this to further assist his ex-students by providing them with employment that works around their uni schedule. The reason why he didn't employ an ex-student to teach English because neither him or his students would have been experienced enough.
Oh and I believe he expels students that haven't paid because many do take advantage of the system and if they do not respect his centre to pay the fees then they do not belong there. If they are struggling financially then that's a different story.

Any who, it's late and now I'm bored of BOS.

HDalpha

HSC
N/A
Re: Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Your argument shows poor consideration towards the most crucial aspect of the case. Your impenetrable efforts to cultivate through the perplexing fields of knowledge truncates your success with any future scholastic related areas of study.

Nazy

HSC
I know this is a very old discussion but I don't know how to start a new one. Sorry for that. Apart from that, I am currently in year 10 I visited "NGO and SONS" tutoring centre and i forgot to ask the receptionist lady if the test was based on year 10 content or year 11 content. I'm assuming it's on year 10 but the tutoring centre is quite accelerated and I don't want to go into the exam tomorrow morning having a vague idea of everything.

Nazy

HSC
I went to the exam date today and I'm seriously freaking out! Well the thing is he accepted me straight away because I looked respectful? He said he'll give me a call and he wants to see me... I know this was random. But it kinda shocked me. During the exam he spoke for most of it and he also scared me lol.. I only did 2 out of 4 pages and I think I failed really really badly... I'm not bad at math usually but I literally freaked out... Sorry for randomness but I was just asking do you really think he'll call me back even after my massive fail? And how long does it usually take for him to call back?

zaadifyable

HSC
hi!
haha, I went there in the morning, and I heard him yelling at the new exam students. But in actual fact, he is really nice! As he might have told you, he does not pick the students due to their ability to do maths, but gives everyone a chance. He just sees which class he can fit you into, and if there's space, he will accept you, especially if you are respectful. Good luck on your entry! I think the front office replied to me in around 2 or 3 days, but dont worry if it takes longer :).

juniormaths

HSC
N/A
haha, mr mai .. he has the same vibe as sir sir. i hated him at the beginning. but like he always says "i am your god" - seriously i think worship him!!!
He cared for me alot, he even texted me to see if I was home safe because it was late in parramatta.

He stays back after class for hours to do work and is happy to help anyone who wants.
He is the first one there and the last one to leave ; tell me another tutor who loves it as much as him.
Most people say they are the best, he does too - but he always remember who taught him (dr truong). I admire that the most about him.

I say if you are scared for sir sir; honestly have not met the guy, give mr mai a go, just stick with him and you will do great. his classes are huge, if he isn't good no one would stay!

He seems lonley though, hopefully I can do him proud with my HSC results =)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You gotta admit Ngo and Sons is the most successful maths tutor. Has there been anyone as successful as him (through word of mouth)? That's something you need to consider

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
haha, mr mai .. he has the same vibe as sir sir. i hated him at the beginning. but like he always says "i am your god" - seriously i think worship him!!!
He cared for me alot, he even texted me to see if I was home safe because it was late in parramatta.

He stays back after class for hours to do work and is happy to help anyone who wants.
He is the first one there and the last one to leave ; tell me another tutor who loves it as much as him.
Most people say they are the best, he does too - but he always remember who taught him (dr truong). I admire that the most about him.

I say if you are scared for sir sir; honestly have not met the guy, give mr mai a go, just stick with him and you will do great. his classes are huge, if he isn't good no one would stay!

He seems lonley though, hopefully I can do him proud with my HSC results =)
Mr Mai is one of the most inspiring people I've ever met: he teaches you about the true meaning of life

juniormaths

HSC
N/A
Mr Mai is one of the most inspiring people I've ever met: he teaches you about the true meaning of life
yes i totally agree!!
"you are here because you want me to tell you the truth, i don't sugar coat jack all for you. If you are not doing well, its because you haven't studied hard enough. If you arent good at writing, its because you have written before. At recess and at lunch look around you, what are your friends doing? Nothing. You sit down and you study. Then you are already ahead of them. Make study a habit - whats normal to a spider is chaos to a fly!"
-Mr Mai.

"there are three people you study for, your father because he gave your his last name, your mother because cares and cies with you and your teacher because he is the only person left on this planet that cares for you"
Mr Mai/Dr Truong.

"anxiety is good, stress is good too. thats how i succeeded - do you have anxiety? yes? well you are on the right track"
Dr Truong.

Last edited:

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
yes i totally agree!!
"you are here because you want me to tell you the truth, i don't sugar coat jack all for you. If you are not doing well, its because you haven't studied hard enough. If you arent good at writing, its because you have written before. At recess and at lunch look around you, what are your friends doing? Nothing. You sit down and you study. Then you are already ahead of them. Make study a habit - whats normal to a spider is chaos to a fly!"
-Mr Mai.

"there are three people you study for, your father because he gave your his last name, your mother because cares and cies with you and your teacher because he is the only person left on this planet that cares for you"
Mr Mai/Dr Truong.

"anxiety is good, stress is good too. thats how i succeeded - do you have anxiety? yes? well you are on the right track"
Dr Truong.
Got more quotes? This is an interesting read. I've heard good and bad rumours about truongs but never really got to test them.

Last edited:

juniormaths

HSC
N/A
hi he-mann,

they are have a lot of quotes, dr truong is extremely inspiring, very similar to mr mai. I don't know who i prefer, but dr truong teaches 4u maths to the weaker kids too, so i think he really cares!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)