turbo, yo. (1 Viewer)

HSC
so like... where do i first look to get a turbo kit installed on a yaris??. coz im sorta clueless (tried googling but didnt really know what to search for lol)
and what other modifications do i need to make along with the turbo..eg. i know ive got to change the exhaust system too..and possibly the brakes, but ive heard its not that necessary..

what would the maintainance costs be like?

any sites of workshops/garages..or any recommendations would be awesome!

Jiga

I dont know heaps about turboeing.... but tbh I dont know why you would bother on a Yaris. Its gonna cost a fortune I would imagine... you need to upgrade brakes, suspension, exhaust, injectors, intake etc. And I dont know with the Yaris, but my friend has a Getz which looks likes it has a similar engine layout... Im not even sure if there is enough room to fit a turbo in their! And last but not least... I doubt a Yaris has a very strong engine, like the pistons and connectiing rods etc, so if you wanted an engine thats gonna last you will need to upgrade your internals with forged stuff, and that itself would be $3000+ (If you bought something with a stronger engine this could be avoided on low boost). And the end product would be a fast car, but not ridiculously fast... so why bother!!!!!!

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Schoolies_2004 said:
I dont know heaps about turboeing.... but tbh I dont know why you would bother on a Yaris. Its gonna cost a fortune I would imagine... you need to upgrade brakes, suspension, exhaust, injectors, intake etc. And I dont know with the Yaris, but my friend has a Getz which looks likes it has a similar engine layout... Im not even sure if there is enough room to fit a turbo in their! And last but not least... I doubt a Yaris has a very strong engine, like the pistons and connectiing rods etc, so if you wanted an engine thats gonna last you will need to upgrade your internals with forged stuff, and that itself would be $3000+ (If you bought something with a stronger engine this could be avoided on low boost). And the end product would be a fast car, but not ridiculously fast... so why bother!!!!!!
Yeah, it does strike me as odd putting a turbo in a Yaris. I mean, the cars cost what, $20k (I have no idea, to be honest), and how much would the price tag on a turbo (and as Schoolies pointed out, everything else), run to? I wouldn't be surprised if you paid at least a quarter of the car's value for the work that was needed and for what? A few extra kilowatts?

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
putting a turbo in a yaris strikes me as a little silly
i mean even if you do turbo it, its still a 1.5L FF?
agree with above poster that the engine internals probably arent all that tough
sell the car and buy a silvia/200SX or something, lol
some out there are still in good condition, and, if you look in the right places, might already have light mods done to them like pod and exhaust work

Pace_T

HSC
Schoolies_2004 said:
And the end product would be a fast car, but not ridiculously fast... so why bother!!!!!!
na man itl probably be up to par with average medium sized cars on the road...
sell the overpriced piece of shit if u r looking for somehting with more power :uhhuh:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe check out Singaporean/Malaysian forums... cars like yaris are popular because road tax is charged on engine capacity, labour is cheap, etc... so if it's been done, it'll probably have been done there.

Although as others mentioned- it's probably a waste of time/effort. The cost outweighs the benefit- and then you also look a bit of a tosser driving a turbocharged Yaris.

On a sidenote, maybe a supercharger might be more suited- although that would also still cost quite a bit.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
why would you bother? your probably looking at around 8k minimum to do it, ho about taking that 8k, selling your yaris and now buying an xr6 turbo or something with way more hp than you could hope for turboing a yaris.or if you are sneaky, buy a normal xr6[way cheaper] put an aftermarket turbo on it, drop about the same as you would spend on the yaris and have a car that outstrips anything on the street.

Jiga

na man itl probably be up to par with average medium sized cars on the road
Lol well it depends on how much boost he runs... Im sure if he runs it high it would be fast, and the car would last a week as well.

On a sidenote, maybe a supercharger might be more suited- although that would also still cost quite a bit.
I would imagine a supercharger is impossible (tbh Im not sure if there is enough room for a turbo as well...even relocating the small battery on these cars etc doesnt help much), there is no way a Yaris has enough clearance under the bonnet for a supercharger, and there wouldnt be enough room for the pulley to the crank etc as they are very compact engines. Not to mention it would require alot of custom work done. Usually Turbo's are cheaper, unless you can get bolt ons... like for Camrys lol, TRD made a straight bolt on supercharger - that would be cheap! Custom work = $$$

why would you bother? your probably looking at around 8k minimum to do it, ho about taking that 8k, selling your yaris and now buying an xr6 turbo or something with way more hp than you could hope for turboing a yaris.or if you are sneaky, buy a normal xr6[way cheaper] put an aftermarket turbo on it, drop about the same as you would spend on the yaris and have a car that outstrips anything on the street.
Lol yeah.... or even an XR5 Turbo if you want a small car with some punch, they are also cheaper. But the Yaris imo would be a waste of money, I can understand the sleeper angle, but its one of those sitatuations as someone else said where the cost outweighs the 'benefit'.

Last edited by a moderator:

lengy

HSC
You can turbo a Yaris. I know Gran Turismo 4 is only a game but you can turbo the Yaris's and they als come in turbo models. I've realised though that a good set of tires can do a whole lot more for your car then a turbo can at times, especially for cornering. You have to wait for the turbo to spool before it does anything. Just do what every other wannabe tuner does to improve their car's power and add an exhaust but please PLEASE don't make it one of those tin can exhausts that make alot of noise. Exhausts improve power slightly, but don't consider it if you're driving an automatic the boost is almost insignificant. Please realise that any modifications will alter your insurance cost and the reliability of your car.

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
Call around your performance shops in your area, hit up the phone book man....get quotes...its going to cost a fair bit because im pretty sure theres no kit out there for it, it will be completely custom, and that word means monneyyyy...but hey if you wanna do it, id like to see a turbo'd matchbox getting around!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lengy said:
You can turbo a Yaris. I know Gran Turismo 4 is only a game but you can turbo the Yaris's and they als come in turbo models.
I just saw this car in GT4 today and came back to this thread to post! 146bhp or something...

Jiga

You can turbo a Yaris. I know Gran Turismo 4 is only a game but you can turbo the Yaris's and they als come in turbo models.
Yeah I looked around, RUMOUR has it that TRD is coming out with a boosted Yaris in Aus soon... so ah I think it would be alot cheaper just to buy that, whatever the difference is between what you get for your Yaris and what the TRD version costs is stil going to be alot cheaper then modding your current car.

but don't consider it if you're driving an automatic the boost is almost insignificant
Exhausts still help alittle with auto, fact is the stock exhaust wouldnt be designed to handle more power (and more exhaust) so there would be gains their. It also depends on the stock exhaust system, I know some can be very restrictive and freeing it up helps alot at high RPM. I think a bigger issue is will the auto trans hold up to boost? Obviously a transmission cooler is a must (the one going through the radiator is insufficient), and realistically if we are talking long term reliability you would need to rebuild the trans with a high stall torque converter etc... I kno there is a camry (cos I look this stuff up) that is turboed and has like 450hp at the wheels.... and its auto (obviously rebuilt for a performance application). Supposedly they are quicker because the auto knows the optimum time to change gears and changes them quicker then manual.

I just saw this car in GT4 today and came back to this thread to post! 146bhp or something...
Lol a game... but that isnt really lightening quick if those figures are correct, only like 110kw, even with the car being light, still its gonna be like 0-100km/h in 8secs or so $10k later when you could have bought a V6 or smething and with minor mods got it into the 6's.

lengy

HSC
Why don't you just take the Mitsubishi Colt as an example and see the difference between base model, sports model and the Ralliart model? Or you get just get a Toyota Starlet GT, Pulsar SSS N14 I think? Or any other already established sports mini. He's probably wanting a turbo because he already HAS a Yaris and a turbo will give the biggest power boost. It'd be better just to get second car you can abuse and just save the Yaris for the daily drive.

Jiga

He's probably wanting a turbo because he already HAS a Yaris and a turbo will give the biggest power boost. It'd be better just to get second car you can abuse and just save the Yaris for the daily drive.
Lol I think just dw about it all together. Buying a second car means more expenses, buying it - rego - insurance - maintenance. With the Yaris, doing it up is going to reduce its reliability, cost a fortune and not even be powerful. The only real option if you want more power is to sell the Yaris and get something better.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I CBF reading all this but don't turbo a yaris. For the cost you could easily afford a 90s jap turbo car.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Schoolies_2004 said:
Lol a game... but that isnt really lightening quick if those figures are correct, only like 110kw, even with the car being light, still its gonna be like 0-100km/h in 8secs or so $10k later when you could have bought a V6 or smething and with minor mods got it into the 6's.
Haha.. GT3 (and GT4) were like... what exposed me to some of the models available overseas which I had never heard of.

cuppas

Apprentice Mechanic
HSC
GT series made everyone into skyline fanboys, lol

OP: gonna sell the Yaris or what?

blackkatz

HSC
Just like evryone said: why bother putting a turbo in a Yaris in the first place?

Well, u can turbo practically anything these days, just I never heard of a bolt-on turbo for a Yaris. It will be a full custom job. And u wont get a heck of a benefit after all that = waste o money.
Better get something already fitted with a turbo.

@cuppas: I thought FastnFurious series that made everyone into skyline fanboys?

stephenchow

HSC
Fast and the Furious didnt show much skylines cept i remember the first one had a yellow GTR (r33) .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)