Typical Aussies Ruin Australia (1 Viewer)

malkin86

HSC
supercharged said:
Yeah haha well fuckyouverymuch, pfft, at least I aint the one who has to turn to immature flame posting everytime a different opinion is expressed
supercharged said:
ITS AITCH DAMMIT!!! :chainsaw: People who can't even speak their sole language correctly are nothing but brainless fucktards

:rolleyes:

Motion to lock thread seconded.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
cerebrum said:
Does anyone think that the typical aussies ruin AUST? Those that quote "G'day" and sit around with there pathetic getups. It just reveals Australians to be iliterate.

fuck off back to your own country then, aussie slang is part of our identity. I asume you're an illegal alien and your bitter because people have called you 'non-australian' so you come here and try to defame australians, fuck off.

hmm

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
cerebrum said:
Its really difficult to get my point across.... sorry about that. Some australians just say really informal things. "oi, oi oi, aussie, aussie aussie", its just not right. Although we don't need to be formal people, but we don't want to be potrayed like that.

So how should we be portrayed? As American, or rather yankee, clones. Or maybe it'd be more proper to cerebum's refined ears if we engaged in the jolly dialect of the Poms, (Originally spelt Pohm, but hardly anyone knows what it stands for so what's the point).

Is too hard of a concept to grasp that maybe the reason we have a different accent and unique words is because we, as a nation, actually have a culture, despite what those 'academics' who believe themselves above the common, uneducated, illiterate mob, claim.

Somehow I think that the language we use seperates us and creates for us an identity and we ought to be proud of that identity. At the very least cynics like cerebum, who strike me as very shallow people, ought to realise that us being typical Australians enhances the tourist trade. Who would want to come down under to see a bunch of immitation Americans.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
It's the "G'Days" and so called "Yobo" talk that bring the tourist dollars to Australia. Foreigners identify these types of words with Australia...get over it.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
So how should we be portrayed? As American, or rather yankee, clones. Or maybe it'd be more proper to cerebum's refined ears if we engaged in the jolly dialect of the Poms, (Originally spelt Pohm, but hardly anyone knows what it stands for so what's the point)..

It was originall POME. As in Prisoner Of Mother Engand.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
It's the "G'Days" and so called "Yobo" talk that bring the tourist dollars to Australia. Foreigners identify these types of words with Australia...get over it.
not really
only the Americans and Europeans
The Asians come to Australia because it's so foreign and the environment is breath taking. and it is, if you have ever been in asia you can see how wonderful our environment is. It's relatively untouched by development especially. Northern NSW is gorgeous even if it is...*ahem
and the koalas and kangaroos and platypuses - a bunch of Jap tourists came to our school some years ago and I got to show them around....like five or six trendy young Japanese crowding around trying to take a picture of a koala's ass. amusing.
My french teacher reckons we have the best beaches in the world, and I frankly agree

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
and I just read most of this thread.
My dad has a PhD. supercharged shut the fuck up.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I dunno, probably means a whole lot of different things. Mum always told ment prisoner of mother england, and thats what a few of my enlglish mates say, as do their parents.

But like i said, it undoubtedly has a multitude of meanings

cayte

The concise Oxford Dictionary (10th ed) will tell you it's simply short for Pommy, of uncertain origin, perhaps a shortened form of the word pomegranate, as a near rhyme to immigrant. Don't believe me, go look it up. It's a retarded argument anyway.

I think a lot of the problem with this country is that primary education is not comprehensive enough to teach people such basic grammatical rules as the difference between 'there' and 'their'...

Or perhaps cerebrum is just an idiot.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
cayte said:
The concise Oxford Dictionary (10th ed) will tell you it's simply short for Pommy, of uncertain origin, perhaps a shortened form of the word pomegranate, as a near rhyme to immigrant. Don't believe me, go look it up. It's a retarded argument anyway.

I think a lot of the problem with this country is that primary education is not comprehensive enough to teach people such basic grammatical rules as the difference between 'there' and 'their'...

Or perhaps cerebrum is just an idiot.

yeah well, it's Prisoner of Mother England for me.

Oh, and since when were interest forums reflective of our basic grammatical skills? I'm sure the majority of us are up to scratch in regards to grammer, but do not feel we need to really worry about such trival issues on a public forum....

I do agree with your final point, however.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
not really
only the Americans and Europeans
The Asians come to Australia because it's so foreign and the environment is breath taking. and it is, if you have ever been in asia you can see how wonderful our environment is. It's relatively untouched by development especially. Northern NSW is gorgeous even if it is...*ahem
and the koalas and kangaroos and platypuses - a bunch of Jap tourists came to our school some years ago and I got to show them around....like five or six trendy young Japanese crowding around trying to take a picture of a koala's ass. amusing.
My french teacher reckons we have the best beaches in the world, and I frankly agree
Although I agree with most of what you're saying, Asians, particularly the Japanese (one of our main trading partners), identify with koalas, kangaroos, phrases like G'Day and other yobo statements like "crikey" and "fair dinkum".

I remember when I visited STh. E. Asia to visit some childhood friends and the first thing i heard when I walked into their house was "G'Day, mate". These people had been born and bred in Asia-so you can't tell me it's just in Europe and the America's.

Anyway, this is a stupid issue. Who cares what people say, honestly? It's called freedom of speech and we shouldn't all be debating it.

cayte

Oh, and since when were interest forums reflective of our basic grammatical skills? I'm sure the majority of us are up to scratch in regards to grammer, but do not feel we need to really worry about such trival issues on a public forum....
That's my point, it shouldn't be a matter of having to worry or think about it, something so basic should be second nature. But sorry, this is off topic.

The whole notion of some portion of 20 million very different people spread out over 7million sq km of land somehow "ruining" that imagined community for everyone else is absurd.

Last edited:

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
It's all about perspective.

If you were Vietnamese, living in Vietnam, and you saw all these Australians coming into your country, eating their own food, talking their own language, you'd get pretty pissed off too.

And as for "Aussie" Australians, I wouldn't put them down. They define our past, so we can shape our future.

klh

HSC
isnt it "typical aussies" that made up australia in the first place?
No, typical aussies have there pros and cons like any other race...

cerebrum

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Although I agree with most of what you're saying, Asians, particularly the Japanese (one of our main trading partners), identify with koalas, kangaroos, phrases like G'Day and other yobo statements like "crikey" and "fair dinkum".

I remember when I visited STh. E. Asia to visit some childhood friends and the first thing i heard when I walked into their house was "G'Day, mate". These people had been born and bred in Asia-so you can't tell me it's just in Europe and the America's.

Anyway, this is a stupid issue. Who cares what people say, honestly? It's called freedom of speech and we shouldn't all be debating it.
Its not what people say, its what they identify Australians as. However most people in AUST are fine with this rep.

Generator

HSC
N/A
cerebrum said:
Its not what people say, its what they identify Australians as. However most people in AUST are fine with this rep.
I am still yet to see anyone justify what is wrong with the stereotypical Australian identity (apart from more than one person pointing out that your interpretation is incorrect). So please, tell us all, what exactly is this negative reputation that you are talking about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)