uni.. (1 Viewer)

Monsterman

HSC
omg. dont you realise that the people who DONT study uni textbooks prior to their course are capable of doing just as well, if not better than those who do?

its because those people are naturally smart. like meilz for instance.

in short... its not going to make a damn difference whether or not you read a uni textbook or not. seriously. im pretty sure anyone currently in uni would tell you the same.

edit: Oh wait, looking back at previous posts, they already have.
guess what? if you read other previous posts then you'll realise that its out of interest. it even says that in the first post. OH NO LEARN TO READ

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
You guys need to settle down a bit hey =S

If people want to spend their time reading academic books whatever, if they don't thats cool to.
I agree completely.

We should stop fighting between ourselves - the Board of Studies is the true evil in this world.

big_jezza

HSC
guess what? if you read other previous posts then you'll realise that its out of interest. it even says that in the first post. OH NO LEARN TO READ

alright settle down mate. your sense of sarcasm seriously sucks... a sure sign of your social impairment...

LOL ok ok ill stop causing trouble now.

simplyyme

HSC
isn't it a bit too early to study for uni...... hsc exams aren't finished yet and those who are studying for uni with text books they bought themselves will totally have wasted their money if they don't get into their course, uni texts books are EXPENSIVE.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i want to be a midwife :)

ah well actually ive tracked down the textbooks i need for first and 2nd yr and already own some. seen the subject list and pretty sure, for example 'anatomy and physiology' is pretty easy to study as its in relation to a pregnant woman. im not doing astrophysics, therefore i can atleast get my physiology, birth processes, intervention and a basic understanding of what goes wrong understood. and last i checked i had the ability to get above 85, if not, then above 75, then if not im freakin damn well positive i can get above 68. now i can tell u im certain 2 end up a midwife, so go stick it.

im not goin 2 uni cos i have to or its the done thing, im going cos i flippin well wanna learn more and practice something i love, unlike alot of ppl.
I would just be careful, textbooks aren't always explicit, up to date etc. and without a guide you could easily learn bad habits, particularly considering a lot of uni work can turn out to be a lot denser then it first appears to be (especially if you're looking at 2nd year stuff). Just make sure you understand that learning uni work is absolutely nothing like learning HSC work.

Last edited:

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
LOL

After HSC I'm never studying again.

I have 2 days before my last exam and I'm sooooooooo over it D:

nubsicle

HSC
N/A
I smell parental influence?

Dude honestly, after I finished the HSC last year I joked about studying till uni started. Even in Uni it's a process of getting back into it.

Maybe if you want to maintain your maths level do a bit of casual like 20 mins maths ?

Or read some great books to maintain your intellect + further.

Some words of advice though, dont spend anytime of this break doing study like you spoke about. It's firstly pretty sad since your not going to be able to prepare yourself for uni and secondly this is the only time your not tied down or dont have any commitments to anything in the world..

Get a job if you dont have one ? I dont know...

kateemily

HSC
I would just be careful, textbooks aren't always explicit, up to date etc. and without a guide you could easily learn bad habits, particularly considering a lot of uni work can turn out to be a lot denser then it first appears to be (especially if you're looking at 2nd year stuff). Just make sure you understand that learning uni work is absolutely nothing like learning HSC work.
i dnt learn form jst one book, i easily have 20, some of which were published in the last 18 months. im not that ignorant to think that what im learning is the exact same as what uni will teach me. im giving myself general knowledge which i know will come in handy. so what if the work is denser like i expect? i atleast saved myself some time having some familiarity with the content, even if only slightly. im quite aware uni work will b diff 2 hsc. i mean a standard, basic qualification that majority of the state comes out with while answering non-specific questions, is clearly going to be different to a single subject divided into subjects that will b delved into with much gr8er detail than the hsc subject wouldve ever been taught.

cmon now, my mothers midwife wasnt that stupid to drop me on my head and cause my brain to seep out my ears...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
i dnt learn form jst one book, i easily have 20, some of which were published in the last 18 months. im not that ignorant to think that what im learning is the exact same as what uni will teach me. im giving myself general knowledge which i know will come in handy. so what if the work is denser like i expect? i atleast saved myself some time having some familiarity with the content, even if only slightly. im quite aware uni work will b diff 2 hsc. i mean a standard, basic qualification that majority of the state comes out with while answering non-specific questions, is clearly going to be different to a single subject divided into subjects that will b delved into with much gr8er detail than the hsc subject wouldve ever been taught.

cmon now, my mothers midwife wasnt that stupid to drop me on my head and cause my brain to seep out my ears...
Fuckin relax aye. Why do you seem to be out to have something to prove? I'm just giving general advice, strange as it may seem to you but most kids fresh out of highschool don't have a clue what to expect at uni, and rightly so.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
rofl @ people with 70 and 80 atar aims.
'it is clearly impossible to have both a social life and a good atar'
no, ur just stupid. :)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
rofl @ people with 70 and 80 atar aims.
But if all you have to get is a 70 ATAR to get into the course you want, then go for it. Why bother spending 3hrs a night studying for a 95+ is you don't need it. Aim for what you need, and what you'd be happy with as a mark.

lala2

Banned
HSC
gosh, just enjoy the break. 99% of uni students don't even study until a week before an exam.
+1. Do these people have nothing better to do? Uni is a lot of work, so def go enjoy yourself before it starts.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
But if all you have to get is a 70 ATAR to get into the course you want, then go for it. Why bother spending 3hrs a night studying for a 95+ is you don't need it. Aim for what you need, and what you'd be happy with as a mark.
rofl u don't even need to go school for 70 atar..

C-BAS

HSC
I have to get into uni first!

P.S. To all the smug pricks ripping on 70 and 80 ATAR's....... :shoot: Not everyone can get a 99+ ATAR you know.

M@ster P

HSC
Dude some people study 6hrs a night and can't hit 80 atar, while people study for 2hrs a night and can easily hit 95+ atar. so don't generalise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)