UNSW 2010 Rollcall (1 Viewer)

ashllis92

HSC
Oh ok, do you know what you're planning to do further down the road though? Would bio have been more relevant to what you want to do?
I'm probably going to major in either microbiology/immunology or chem so both bio and chem are relevant atm so i just picked chem because it suited my timetable...

I did introductory japanese almost 3 years ago (and i majored in it when i did sci/arts). Its all taught by actual Japanese academics (one on them who teaches 1st year japanese - thomson sensei speaks pretty good english).. yea so look out for the name 'thomson sensei'. Also, tutorials are taught my research / honours students.

Students wise, you'll get chinese background speakers, to those who did Japanese beginners (although some ppl i know started in level 2). I did a bit of japanese in year 11 b4 dropping it [i should have kept it though].....and people who have never done Japanese before.

mind you its fast paced and you need to keep up with the work. Hiragana and katakana was a breeze for me in the early weeks :D. Other than that, i really enjoyed learning japanese!

Normal japanese people would be in the higher levels like level 3 or 4.
I have Ms N Fukui, how's her English?
What's Hiragana and katakana? also how much time out of class would you recommend to get a credit or distinction?

lizajane91

HSC
I'm probably going to major in either microbiology/immunology or chem so both bio and chem are relevant atm so i just picked chem because it suited my timetable...

What's Hiragana and katakana? also how much time out of class would you recommend to get a credit or distinction?
Hiragana and katakana is the writing system used in japanese. Kanji are the more complicated chinese characters that are also used in japanese.

dawdlex3

HSC
B Arts baby :)

linguistics...media, culture & technology.... woo!!
oh haaiii

B Arts =]
intro to socio/anthro
media, culture + everyday life
concepts of asia
intro to indo

'grats to everyone for gettin' in! ^^

Hey there! =) I did Media, Culture & Everyday Life last year. The course was pretty interesting. Nice lectures by Scott Shaner too.

Lydia_88

HSC

I haven't had her before so i wouldn't be too sure. When i did it back then, we had all these casual tutors for seminars and tutorials but since then, either Japanese staff or honours / research student teach the tutorials and seminars (budget cuts). :)

Let me know who you have for the tutorials and seminars, and i can give my views on them :) other than that, you'll have fun!

ashllis92

HSC
I haven't had her before so i wouldn't be too sure. When i did it back then, we had all these casual tutors for seminars and tutorials but since then, either Japanese staff or honours / research student teach the tutorials and seminars (budget cuts). :)

Let me know who you have for the tutorials and seminars, and i can give my views on them :) other than that, you'll have fun!

I'm really excited to learn another language, I did German for the HSC and loved it, shame I can't major in German actually ... but it'll be awesome to have 3 languages!

dawdlex3

HSC
oh raddd! apparently i get both shaner and ravelli, that's a good thing, yes? :D
Louise Ravelli is the program coordinator for B Media in Comm & Journalism. Her lectures tend to be more technical, a lot about language structure and that sort. Was a little dull at times but I went through them. Her tutorials are more interesting, personally.

Bachelor of Media (Communication and Journalism)
YAY welcome!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I will be doing Commerce/Science at UNSW, majoring in Actuarial Studies and Mathematics + Stats. First year, I am just taking core commerce courses so I will see you guys there :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)