UNSW Chit Chat Thread (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D94

HSC
N/A
Re: UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2015.

Is there a downside of doing 2 gen eds. in a single semester?
Not really, but if the workload is less then it might be beneficial to do 1 with 3 courses from your major instead.

D94

HSC
N/A

Officially doing 30 UOC now after overload approval.

I wonder how much more busier I will get this semester - I overloaded in sem 1 2014 with ENGG1000 and other first year engineering subs so I'll see how this one goes.
I overloaded a few semesters ago, just for 'fun'. Pretty much the only time I was busier was during the weeks when all assessments were on (which is expected). I had something like 9 things due over 4 days. Anyway, still did better than my WAM at the time, and I have 1 less remaining course to do (than my peers), so it worked out.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC

astro seems like too much work

mreditor16

HSC

So ACCT1511 has three in-class quizzes each worth 10%. And then a final exam worth 70%.

The thing with the in-class quizzes is that they have to be done in your seminar, on a internet-capable device (e.g. tablet, laptop) you bring along.

However, if you're not able to bring such a device or forget to do so, the 10% for that quiz gets shifted to your final. So, if you attend all your seminars but don't bring such a device to any of the three in-class quizzes, then all that 30% gets shifted to your final, which then becomes 100% of your final mark.

Also, it's all short answer and will be marked by your own tutor (leading ofc to variations in marking from class to class). So, this is not going to be fun :/

However, I anticipate the quizzes will be easier than the final exam, to encourage people to bring their devices. Also, they've made it open-book and
'open-internet', so yehhhhh....

Interesting times for ACCT1511....

HSC
Uni Grad

So ACCT1511 has three in-class quizzes each worth 10%. And then a final exam worth 70%.

The thing with the in-class quizzes is that they have to be done in your seminar, on a internet-capable device (e.g. tablet, laptop) you bring along.

However, if you're not able to bring such a device or forget to do so, the 10% for that quiz gets shifted to your final. So, if you attend all your seminars but don't bring such a device to any of the three in-class quizzes, then all that 30% gets shifted to your final, which then becomes 100% of your final mark.

Also, it's all short answer and will be marked by your own tutor (leading ofc to variations in marking from class to class). So, this is not going to be fun :/

However, I anticipate the quizzes will be easier than the final exam, to encourage people to bring their devices. Also, they've made it open-book and

This is definitely interesting...

That said ACCT1511 is probably more judgement based anyway so searching for answers off google ain't gonna help too much anyway. Same deal goes to asking your peers for answers.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

so foundation day party was alright

anyone go?

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

rekt

The majority of my cohort walked into the final with 40 marks in the bag

mreditor16

HSC

The lecturer-in-charge for ACCT1511 is my seminar teacher. And she said that they've got rid of MC entirely, because they were tired of students googling the questions and finding the answers on websites like Course Hero and Yahoo Answers (she specifically mentioned those two websites). They've aimed this semester to really clamp down on 'cheating' and like scabbing answers. No free marks this semester :(

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

rekt

The majority of my cohort walked into the final with 40 marks in the bag
Yet there were still some people getting passes and credits.

What even.

The lecturer-in-charge for ACCT1511 is my seminar teacher. And she said that they've got rid of MC entirely, because they were tired of students googling the questions and finding the answers on websites like Course Hero and Yahoo Answers (she specifically mentioned those two websites). They've aimed this semester to really clamp down on 'cheating' and like scabbing answers. No free marks this semester :(
Well you can blame Sem 2 2014 (and the semesters before it).

They were walking into finals with 42/40 (they get 2 bonus marks for full attendance - we didn't have that).

Sem 1 2015 definitely didn't have ''free marks''.

My seminar leader told us that the change was due to people cheating with the online stuff as well.

Seriously, not many groups got 5/5 for the 5% team exercise. Most got 3 or 4.

Barely anyone got 20/20 for the 4 quizzes [5 marks each] (they were closed book and 'on the spot', so you didn't know when you'd have them and different classes have them on different weeks).

Ultimately, barely anyone was heading into the 75% finals with 25/25. I guess a good portion of the cohort were on 20/25 or above but the finals was a scary figure of 75% (thank god, it was only 15 marks for SA and there were 60 MCs).

Then they decided to change it for your sem... again.

ACCT1511 loves to recycle questions for the finale exam though and hopefully it'll stay like that for your semester.

mreditor16

HSC

Well you can blame Sem 2 2014 (and the semesters before it).

They were walking into finals with 42/40 (they get 2 bonus marks for full attendance - we didn't have that).

Sem 1 2015 definitely didn't have ''free marks''.

My seminar leader told us that the change was due to people cheating with the online stuff as well.

Seriously, not many groups got 5/5 for the 5% team exercise. Most got 3 or 4.

Barely anyone got 20/20 for the 4 quizzes [5 marks each] (they were closed book and 'on the spot', so you didn't know when you'd have them and different classes have them on different weeks).

Ultimately, barely anyone was heading into the 75% finals with 25/25. I guess a good portion of the cohort were on 20/25 or above but the finals was a scary figure of 75% (thank god, it was only 15 marks for SA and there were 60 MCs).

Then they decided to change it for your sem... again.

ACCT1511 loves to recycle questions for the finale exam though and hopefully it'll stay like that for your semester.
Hmmmm agreed....

What scares me the most is that the final is ALL SHORT ANSWER AND NO MULTIPLE CHOICE :( :( :(

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

Hmmmm agreed....

What scares me the most is that the final is ALL SHORT ANSWER AND NO MULTIPLE CHOICE :( :( :(
I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of your final exam = recycled seminar/PASS questions though, or else the fail rate won't look pretty.

I heard they implemented changes in summer school of 2014-15 and the fail rate was 30%.

I doubt the fail rate was 30% in Sem 1 2015 when I did it though.

mreditor16

HSC

I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of your final exam = recycled seminar/PASS questions though, or else the fail rate won't look pretty.

I heard they implemented changes in summer school of 2014-15 and the fail rate was 30%.

I doubt the fail rate was 30% in Sem 1 2015 when I did it though.
Yeh I'm peppering my angus for ACCT1511...

A lot of my friends are worried about ACCT1511, considering how end-of-sem marks are much lower compared to ACCT1501. And the thing is the ACTL kids need to basically get credit or higher due to part I exemptions.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

ok

so clearly no one here went to the biggest uni party of the year

except me

come on guys

uni isn't all about going to class

sheesh

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

ok

so clearly no one here went to the biggest uni party of the year

except me

come on guys

uni isn't all about going to class

sheesh
Didnt even hear about the party. Lol. It was promoted so badly. This years foundations day compared to last year is just a joke.

Biggest party of the year will probs be white party or some shit

HSC
Uni Grad

So it's the end of week 2,

Who else is already behind?
I'm already starting to feel the workload come at me. 5 subjects - two of those which have two components which essentially means I'm doing the equivalent of 7 subjects this semester. GG.

Didnt even hear about the party. Lol. It was promoted so badly. This years foundations day compared to last year is just a joke.

Biggest party of the year will probs be white party or some shit
^.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

yes, unfortunately they seemed more pre-occupied with promoting the ~day~ events

and white party? *shudders*

ebbygoo

where are you

pls tell us how crap that was

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad

There were no day events? Hahahahaha

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

yes, unfortunately they seemed more pre-occupied with promoting the ~day~ events

and white party? *shudders*

ebbygoo

where are you

pls tell us how crap that was
holy fuck i dont remember any day events whatsoever, and i heard many stories about the white party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)