UNSW Chit Chat Thread (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

QZP

HSC
Re: UNSW Chit Chat Thread 2015.

I never received a concession card during my last year of high school because i was busy at the time it was handed out and I never followed up on it.

What's the fastest way to get it as of now as I want to eventually get my concession Opal card?
Can I apply for it when I receive my UAC offer or do I have to wait until first semester starts? Should I just yolo it and buy concession tickets for the first few weeks since they rarely check when purchasing (bus not train)?

Last edited:

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad

I never received a concession card during my last year of high school because i was busy at the time it was handed out and I never followed up on it.

What's the fastest way to get it as of now as I want to eventually get my concession Opal card? Will it be possible when I receive my UAC offer? Or do I have to apply at the uni (and therefore spend first few weeks of uni without concession gg double fare prices)? Should I yolo it? They never check anyway when purchasing paper tickets

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

What's the fastest way to get it as of now as I want to eventually get my concession Opal card?
Can I apply for it when I receive my UAC offer or do I have to wait until first semester starts? Should I just yolo it and buy concession tickets for the first few weeks since they rarely check when purchasing (bus not train)?
Live life on the edge like the Queen and her Square

D94

HSC
N/A

you can talk semantics all day I was just replying to "All UNSW students will get it" which ain't true bruv
don't think you know the meaning of semantics but alright. And no one said that statement, mreditor16 asked a question.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Just a few questions -

1) Is it bad to have lessons on consecutive times? For instance i was playing around with the time slots and classes and i found one combination where there was a lecture and tutorial which went 3 hours straight.

2) It says tutorial lessons start week 2, does that mean during our first week of UNI, we ONLY go to lectures?

3) Does it matter if you have a tutorial lesson on your timetable before your lecture?
That's fine. By convention a lecture, tutorial or lab will usually finish 5 minutes before the allocated time finishes and start 5 minutes after the allocated time starts. So usually a lecture from 10 am to 11 am will start at 10:05 am and finish at 10:55 am.

Only go to lectures in your first week. Also, in week 13, only go to tutorials and laboratories if necessary.

Tutorial content will cover material from the previous week so that is perfectly fine. I have had tutorials on before the lectures for that week and everything is fine there.

Mid semester exams might be conducted in a lecture. You may also have class tests in tutorials and laboratories. However a final exam is completely different. If there is a final exam for the course, it will be conducted such that all students sit the exam at the exact same time in Friday week 14 and weeks 15 to 17 usually (these weeks are just exam period weeks, where week 14 is stuvac but I have had exams on Friday of week 14 before).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

This is for every BEME Electrical kid out there.

I have a similar problem with enrolment in my course (Bachelor/ masters of electrical engineering @unsw). One of the first year courses, ELEC2141, has its one lecture full. In addition, it appears to only be offered in the first semester.
I emailed the school about this (sent it just now so I'm still waiting for a reply) but what I think they'll do in cases like this is increase the number of spots as others have said. If you're concerned about this as well you could also try emailing the faculty.
On this note, make sure that you do ELEC2141 in your first semester of first year to ensure that you can stay on time with the program with minimal hassles.

What you will find is that ELEC2141 won't be open for you to enrol in via myUNSW. I suggest that before you enrol into ELEC2141, you have your timetable ready and completed and have enrolled in ELEC1112, PHYS1131, MATH12X1 already.

The morning after your offers are released and you have accepted them, call up the school of EET and get tell them to waive you into ELEC2141. They will ask you for what time slots and such and they do it manually for you as they have the authority to do so. Hence why you should really have your whole timetable sorted out completely and have completed enrolling into the other 3 courses by the time you call school of EET about enrolling into 2141.

In terms of many classes being full, a few should open up or expand to have more students for the ELEC courses. I am actually quite astonished as for the current numbers in ELEC1112 and ELEC2141 as last year they had about 120 and 180 people each respectively compared to how many are enrolled for them this year.

Also in O-Week they addressed this problem to many students who were completely unaware at the time. I think most switched over to doing ELEC2141 in first semester of first year in the end.

BEME is awesome. Make sure to enjoy it as much as I do.

brad1

HSC
N/A

Well at least that small middle area of the UNSW campus is nice.

I'm going to bring a hardhat on Wednesday for the rest, though.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad

Can anybody compare the relative difficulties of MATH1141 & MATH1151, and MATH1241 & MATH1251?

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad

Can anybody compare the relative difficulties of MATH1141 & MATH1151, and MATH1241 & MATH1251?
41/51 in both semesters are actually very similar in content but the order of topics slightly changed around i.e. MATH1151 kids learn Probability/Statistics in SEM1 whilst MATH1241 kids will learn it in SEM2. However, in MATH1251 they do introduce more topics that would usually be covered in 2nd year i.e. Double Integration, Lagrange Multipliers etc. etc. but they are not too difficult considering it is very systematic and that questions are usually quite repetitive. Algebra component is pretty much the same for MATH1141/51 and MATH1241/51, only the Calculus is slightly changed a little bit, but still very doable if you just manage to keep up with the work every now and then. Scaling in MATH1151/1251 is also quite good considering the overall relative difficulty of the course, compared to 31/41 kids.

D94

HSC
N/A

Well you would not need to consider 41 if you are doing Actl, and if you aren't doing Actl, then you would not need to consider 51.

On difficulty, I would say the way 51 is structured makes it harder than 41. 41 flows from HSC MX2, but 51 seems to cut much of that and goes straight into new concepts. There are also some aspects in 41 that isn't in 51, and vice-versa.

mreditor16

HSC
Re: UNSW Rollcall 2015

looking forward to O-week meetup

CaptainPrice

HSC
Re: UNSW Rollcall 2015

Yeah, 0-week meet would be great, we could chant, "unsw master race" coz that's cool

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Will organise one soon hopefully.

What days does everyone prefer for the time being? I can organise a meet on weekdays too if I get time.

Pls no Saturdays. My Saturdays are 7 to 9 all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)