UNSW Sem 1 Final Exams Thread (1 Viewer)

itoki2288

HSC
N/A
mfw my past papers have no solutions and thus I have been deprived of the lube that has in the past eased my grades into my ass :'(

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Tbh I've always found just knowing most important concepts very well then cramming all the specifics into the last few weeks of semester works out for maths related courses. Very subjective though to each individual.

HSC
Uni Grad
Try finding past paper solutions from a student society (I know a few that do this) or maybe just compare answers with friends (I've had to do this before as well and it gets good group discussions going).
I generally find the latter advice more useful and more doable depending on who you're with.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
just curious, has anyone had an exam clash, or know what happens if you do? my guess is that they just sit it with all the misadventure people

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
just curious, has anyone had an exam clash, or know what happens if you do? my guess is that they just sit it with all the misadventure people
Had one, they shifted one of the exams to the next day for me

HSC
Uni Grad
Friend of mine had one of his exams clash with another exam, so that guy was told to go to the finance department and do the exam in there in front of the supervisors or the lecturer.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Friend of mine had one of his exams clash with another exam, so that guy was told to go to the finance department and do the exam in there in front of the supervisors or the lecturer.
interesting there, thanks for the info guys

mreditor16

HSC
MATH1151 was quite hard imo, probably on par with difficulty of 2014. Will upload the paper soon :)

mreditor16

HSC
Here is the MATH1151 Final, curious to hear your thoughts guys, especially on difficulty and potential scaling. Disregard my answers, because some I guessed / fudged.

View attachment math001.pdf

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
Here is the MATH1151 Final, curious to hear your thoughts guys, especially on difficulty and potential scaling. Disregard my answers, because some I guessed / fudged.

View attachment 32140
Paper looks similiar to past years, can't really comment on scaling since it depends on the cohort's performance, will write up some solutions for the paper soon :)

How did you find it mreditor?

mreditor16

HSC
Paper looks similiar to past years, can't really comment on scaling since it depends on the cohort's performance, will write up some solutions for the paper soon :)

How did you find it mreditor?
Q1 i), iii) and iv) was fine

Q1 ii) bamboozled me heaps, so I didn't know how to do it

Q2 i) I guessed the method, cos I forgot how to do it.

Q2 ii), iii) and iv) seemed relatively straightforward

Q2 v) the wording confused me, so I'm not sure if I interpreted it properly.

Q3 i) was a bit unconventional, but hopefully got it

Q3 ii) and iii) were decent

Q3 iv) I spent so much time on it. I actually derived the expression of tanh inverse, and then proved tanh inverse - x - 1 was strictly increasing etc and then used Bolzano's to show one root. And hence only one root, but wow that took ages

Q3 v) was normal

Q3 vi) I really suck at partial derivatives, so I had no idea what I was doing and tried to fudge

Q4 i) was normal

Q4 ii) I got a massive answer, and I was worried I made a silly mistake or something. So I checked my answer to that like three times LOL

Q4 iii) I had a mindblank about how to do it, so I'm not sure about it

Q4 iv) was incredibly tough, I literally wrote close to nothing for d) and e), so yeah

Overall, I personally found the paper tough!

HSC
Uni Grad
Holy shit that paper is tough and pretty tedious tbh. Methinks there will be big upward scaling for this paper.

That said I still think it'll only be top 10% getting HD, then next 15% with DN, then next 30% with CR and the rest PS/PC/FL.

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad

View attachment 32140
Does look relatively tough.

Holy shit that paper is tough and pretty tedious tbh. Methinks there will be big upward scaling for this paper.

That said I still think it'll only be top 10% getting HD, then next 15% with DN, then next 30% with CR and the rest PS/PC/FL.
Second this. It doesn't seem like the great injustice of 1151 will be changed any time soon. I think it's reasonable that whatever mark you got in 1151 you can add 10 or so to and that would be a fair estimate of a 1141 mark that same person might have gotten with similar or less work.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I had a quick look at that exam paper.

It's somewhat a cross between 1141, 1241 and statistics. There's some content from 1141 that is not covered at all and to replace that it has 1241 content and more stuff on statistics instead.

I can understand why a lot of people find it hard however. There is a lot less of a calculus component involved, which is primarily what you'll learn through HSC. The calculus component seems to be replaced by a lot more of other maths related to statistics.

Tbh if I was doing 1151 back in first year, I would find it very difficult as well. However, it's not a surprising difficulty. University requires a lot of effort.

HSC
Uni Grad
I had a quick look at that exam paper.

It's somewhat a cross between 1141, 1241 and statistics. There's some content from 1141 that is not covered at all and to replace that it has 1241 content and more stuff on statistics instead.

I can understand why a lot of people find it hard however. There is a lot less of a calculus component involved, which is primarily what you'll learn through HSC. The calculus component seems to be replaced by a lot more of other maths related to statistics.

Tbh if I was doing 1151 back in first year, I would find it very difficult as well. However, it's not a surprising difficulty. University requires a lot of effort.
Well in particular, actuarial studies requires a tonne of effort to do well in in comparison to other courses. When I was in first year, I personally found doing MATH1151 quite difficult, and just when you think you did well in the final exam you realize you're competing with a very strong cohort who generally don't cram maths and on average, scored an E4 for MX2 as well. Then you don't do as well as you expected and then it demoralizes you :(

Actually a lot of the MATH1151 calculus component comes from part of MATH1231 as well. Not just that, the MATH1251 calculus component has MATH1231, MATH1241 as well as half of MATH2011 and most of MATH2019 content too.

The algebra component has the MATH1131 algebra stuff, but complex numbers is taught in MATH1251 instead of MATH1151. Basically in terms of algebra it's the same except you do probability and statistics in MATH1151, whereas you learn that in MATH1231 instead.

when does everyone finish
29th here - presentation. Though my last exam is on the 27th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)