UNSW Sem 1 Final Exams Thread (2 Viewers)

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The probability and statistics we learnt in 12X1 is very basic. In fact, I pretty much crammed that content 4 hours before the class quiz (and it was at 9 am!) and ended up getting full marks; that's how basic it was.

I'm really interested to see the 1251 papers now (I'll have a look at them some time soon). The 1151 paper did not seem to have much calculus at all in my opinion.

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad
The algebra component has the MATH1131 algebra stuff, but complex numbers is taught in MATH1251 instead of MATH1151. Basically in terms of algebra it's the same except you do probability and statistics in MATH1151, whereas you learn that in MATH1231 instead.
And they add in some random financial related noise like Vandermonde matrices and 'time systems' ("Applied mathematicians making up a name to make it seem like it's something new" D. Crocker) which might be tolerable if the lecturers themselves didn't think it was a waste of time and therefore not really bothering to teach it properly.

mreditor16

HSC
I had a quick look at that exam paper.

It's somewhat a cross between 1141, 1241 and statistics. There's some content from 1141 that is not covered at all and to replace that it has 1241 content and more stuff on statistics instead.

I can understand why a lot of people find it hard however. There is a lot less of a calculus component involved, which is primarily what you'll learn through HSC. The calculus component seems to be replaced by a lot more of other maths related to statistics.

Tbh if I was doing 1151 back in first year, I would find it very difficult as well. However, it's not a surprising difficulty. University requires a lot of effort.
Amen to that

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
Linear Algebra seemed easier this year, so probs gonna be scaled down a bit, q5 were somewhat doable- although dodgy as fuck working out, shame they had to add a nonhomogenous matrix in, will upload paper eventually

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
lol if it scales down I am fcked dude, maybe "easier" for the HD students....

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
I had a quick look at that exam paper.

It's somewhat a cross between 1141, 1241 and statistics. There's some content from 1141 that is not covered at all and to replace that it has 1241 content and more stuff on statistics instead.

I can understand why a lot of people find it hard however. There is a lot less of a calculus component involved, which is primarily what you'll learn through HSC. The calculus component seems to be replaced by a lot more of other maths related to statistics.

Tbh if I was doing 1151 back in first year, I would find it very difficult as well. However, it's not a surprising difficulty. University requires a lot of effort.
+1. University maths is nothing like high school, it takes time to actually understand what is going on, whereas high school just repeats itself with an overload of questions that students can just blindly solve if they know the method well enough. Uni maths requires understanding, which is why students tend to fall behind a bit and find it difficult to make connections between topics and areas etc. Gets even more mindboggling when you proceed on to do 2nd year maths, since it's pretty abstract (which is why students, even myself, find it hard to approach problems) and it becomes difficult to 'visualise' certain concepts as opposed to first years. From experience, being able to visualise things helps a whole lot more.

Well in particular, actuarial studies requires a tonne of effort to do well in in comparison to other courses. When I was in first year, I personally found doing MATH1151 quite difficult, and just when you think you did well in the final exam you realize you're competing with a very strong cohort who generally don't cram maths and on average, scored an E4 for MX2 as well. Then you don't do as well as you expected and then it demoralizes you :(

Actually a lot of the MATH1151 calculus component comes from part of MATH1231 as well. Not just that, the MATH1251 calculus component has MATH1231, MATH1241 as well as half of MATH2011 and most of MATH2019 content too.

The algebra component has the MATH1131 algebra stuff, but complex numbers is taught in MATH1251 instead of MATH1151. Basically in terms of algebra it's the same except you do probability and statistics in MATH1151, whereas you learn that in MATH1231 instead.
+1 :)

The probability and statistics we learnt in 12X1 is very basic. In fact, I pretty much crammed that content 4 hours before the class quiz (and it was at 9 am!) and ended up getting full marks; that's how basic it was.

I'm really interested to see the 1251 papers now (I'll have a look at them some time soon). The 1151 paper did not seem to have much calculus at all in my opinion.
1251 papers aren't any different to 1241 tbh only that it covers different topics (since the actual course covers a few more topics than 1241). Definitely not easy when you are sitting the real exam though, time can become a big issue and can really hinder your performance. I guess it's always interesting to see the questions asked in the following years paper, this year 1151 looked similiar to past years but I can imagine it being quite difficult doing the actual exam, hence the scaling :) (although it's not something significant imo)

And they add in some random financial related noise like Vandermonde matrices and 'time systems' ("Applied mathematicians making up a name to make it seem like it's something new" D. Crocker) which might be tolerable if the lecturers themselves didn't think it was a waste of time and therefore not really bothering to teach it properly.
Gotta love Crocker haha, probably one of the best tutors I've had for MATH courses so far, since he actually answers the questions and goes in depth a little bit to show connections between topics etc. His teaching is actually pretty good as well. Only thing is that he seems to have a grudge against first years (and probably undergraduates in general) hence why he shouts a lot at his students and kicks them out of class even if he hears the slightest whisper from any student (he just hates it when people talk in his class).

Linear Algebra seemed easier this year, so probs gonna be scaled down a bit, q5 were somewhat doable- although dodgy as fuck working out, shame they had to add a nonhomogenous matrix in, will upload paper eventually
Same for MATH2601 this year (had my exam today), it was a relatively easier paper but there were still a few questions that I felt iffy about. Don't think it will scale up a whole heap, since most people actually found it alright. We'll see how it goes when results come out.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
To be fair, if you've tried lecturing or giving a talk - those distractions are really quite annoying.

VBN2470

HSC
Uni Grad
To be fair, if you've tried lecturing or giving a talk - those distractions are really quite annoying.
I think Crocker is a bit too much imo, other tutors don't really seem to have a problem if students quietly talk between themselves, but Crocker takes it to the next level and just kicks them out of the tute lol.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I think Crocker is a bit too much imo, other tutors don't really seem to have a problem if students quietly talk between themselves, but Crocker takes it to the next level and just kicks them out of the tute lol.
interesting

Well, I've never had him though

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Meanwhile Ellis as a tutor lol.

And that Russian dude who asks questions like "what is a complex number?" in tutes instead of actually doing questions :haha:.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
tbh Crocker is a really good tutor. I had him for algebra last year and if you just sit down and listen, you will understand and learn something

HSC
Uni Grad
So freaken exhausted and I still have 1 more final to do tomorrow :(

Then I have a presentation on Monday midday. *sigh*

mreditor16

HSC
Just had my last final exam. Now feeling free except for one presentation that needs to be done.

That said it should be chillax though. But this week I kinda lacked sleep, which isn't good.
:( push on buddy. how was the final exam?

HSC
Uni Grad
:( push on buddy. how was the final exam?
Eh, the final exam was okay but I think my final mark will vary greatly on how hard or how lenient the markers mark the paper - so if they mark loosely I can get around 70, otherwise I'll expect around 55 as my final mark.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I'm actually going to miss maths so much after 2019 Q_Q brb changing degrees

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)