Update me on VSU (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
seriously, you don't think there's a chance that someone could have thrown something at abbot?
i guess there's a chance
if no one brought in bags i don't see where the problem would lie

seriously though, isn't there a chance people could pelt shit at him anywhere?

that police recommendation is nonsense

HSC
walrusbear said:
arguably so can a rubber band flicked or bullet in the head

the actions were more immature than violent

i just think using 'violent' in this context is overstating it
unnecessarily tags the 'left' as presumably dangerous
Immature and potentially dangerous doesn't really flow off the tongue quite like violent, and in the end the result is that they're placing people in danger of harm, regardless of the motivation. Obviously the distinction should be made, but in reference to why people could be "at risk" in that environment, I don't really see it as being important.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I think due to the situation there's a decent chance people would want to throw something at him, media attention, the venue... it'll really bring more light to their cause as opposed to their cause getting a tiny mention if they threw something at him anywhere.

walrusbear

HSC
it's a shame abbot didn't come

i thought for a moment that the liberal party was actually going to justify one of their policies

guess i was wrong

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
walrusbear said:
it's a shame abbot didn't come

i thought for a moment that the liberal party was actually going to justify one of their policies

guess i was wrong
I believe he participated in the debate from a radio station? By the way you know that the liberal party's justified this policy many times and you just disagree with them. Don't lie to urself.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I think due to the situation there's a decent chance people would want to throw something at him, media attention, the venue... it'll really bring more light to their cause as opposed to their cause getting a tiny mention if they threw something at him anywhere.
it would have given the media another chance to demonise young students who don't toe the liberal party line

however that already happened really
by abbot not showing he sends the message that young 'leftist' students are too 'violent' to be around

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
did u see that girl on the news going on about how "we're not animals!", she seemed fairly insane.
by abbot not showing he sends the message that young 'leftist' students are too 'violent' to be around
While I don't necessarily think they're heaps violent or anything, I think there's a fairly high chance that someone would have pulled some stunt.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I'm not disputing the assessment made by the NSW Police, ogmzergrush, rather I take issue with the idea that a few may justifiably tarnish the reputation of the whole.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
I believe he participated in the debate from a radio station? By the way you know that the liberal party's justified this policy many times and you just disagree with them. Don't lie to urself.
not really
they've ignored many serious and rational opposition from countless students and university administration from all over (still not taking hints??)

if by justified do you mean Nelson commented that students would have more money in the pocket and ignored all the detrimental effects of this ill-begotten VSU policy?

maybe you think they've justified themselves because you agree with it and you're lying to yourself??

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I agree, i don't think it's fair to label all of them as violent.. cuz i doubt anyone on here is violent or would have done anything. But due to a small group of people who probably would be tempted to lash out violently he couldn't go.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
maybe you think they've justified themselves because you agree with it and you're lying to yourself??
They've justified themselves, and if they went further in depth in their justification (addressing the issues of accademics/students) they would end up in the ideological debate that we have on BOS reguarding this issue.

So yes, I think they've justified themselves as much as they really have to.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
They've justified themselves, and if they went further in depth in their justification (addressing the issues of accademics/students) they would end up in the ideological debate that we have on BOS reguarding this issue.

so they feel they can safely push forward an education policy condemned by students AND administration?

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:

you know that might actually be a good idea considering it affects education in the country

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
but don't you agree that in the end it would just come down to the same ideological arguments we have from both sides on this forum? seems pointless.

HSC
Generator said:
I'm not disputing the assessment made by the NSW Police, ogmzergrush, merely the idea that the a few may justifiably tarnish the reputation of the whole.
Welcome to life though? It's unfortunate yes, but that's the way it goes with almost everything, at least when the judgement is being made by people inclined to go in for such broad generalisations. That said though, if these people were even serious about their stance, you'd sort of think they might go out of their way to avoid doing anything which could be turned against them like that. Maybe this is where we should draw a distinction between left and "left", where the "left" are attention seekers inclined towards acts of stupidity? Obviously, if the event had taken place as originally planned and someone had thrown something, it'd be quite unlikely that it would have been someone genuinely interested in the politics of the issue (Or at least, not genuinely interested in understanding).

Ugh, the more writing I have to do the worse it gets, you'll have to excuse my wandering sentences, it's been a long day. Hopefully what I mean is obvious in there, somewhere.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
walrusbear said:
so they feel they can safely push forward an education policy condemned by students AND administration?
The only way they could get more students on their side is by a national advertising campaign of the type you have utterly condemned for the IR reforms.

walrusbear

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
but don't you agree that in the end it would just come down to the same ideological arguments we have from both sides on this forum? seems pointless.
ironic really
the policy itself is only ideological

so i'm not allowed to contest it because my arguments are 'ideological'

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
walrusbear said:
ironic really
the policy itself is only ideological

so i'm not allowed to contest it because my arguments are 'ideological'
No, you can contest it, but considering that in the end we end up with two ideological arguments that aren't going to budge there's no point discussing.Like our endless VSU threads, it's pointless, those of us who have thought about it have come to our conclussions on the issue after hearing basically every pro/con and we won't budge.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)