• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

USYD vs UNSW (1 Viewer)

Always

HSC
I don't mind walking, I need the exercise (haha, fatty).

Generator

HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Seriously though, it's only an extra few dollars per week on top of the normal train ticket (for USYD anyway) in return for your safety. If you're really picky and don't mind carrying two tickets instead of one, buy your train ticket and blue TravelTen separately, that way, you save something like a dollar a week, which comes out to a saving of $26 in the entire year :rolleyes: plus let's say two weeks of exam weeks per semester--there you go--$32 saved. Can buy yourself 16 rolls of sushi this year.
Imagined safety, you mean. The number of people making the trek from Redfern station to the campus means that during the day the walk is no more dangerous than any other within the city (i.e., there's always a chance of something happening, no matter where you are). Though there are safety concerns at night (but in this Redfern is hardly alone), that doesn't change the fact that the Redfern walk, for most students, isn't as dangerous as many seem to believe.

dora_18

HSC
Always said:
Do you have to walk through dodgy side streets or anything like that? :eek:
its just broadway all the way down-its fine.
Well this is for main campus anyway ;)

Like people have said...Its only dodgy if you get off at redfern and have to walk through those streets- Ive only done it once and never again., and yeah eveleigh street is like...scary, even though you dont have to walk through it. Full of drunk abos screaming after you all the time-all those things people have said about girls being raped etc etc- i wouldnt be suprised.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
For God's sake! I don't give a damn about this UNSW v Usyd debate but one walk down Redfern confirmed your belief that the daily walk means you will be bombarded with drunken Aboriginals shrieking at you?

There is nothing dangerous about walking through Redfern. Even if you do have a fear of the reputation, you're saying that walking with literally dozens of students surrounding you is dangerous? Your exaggeration is ridiculous.

An eye rolling smilie is not enough in this case...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dora_18 said:
its just broadway all the way down-its fine.
Well this is for main campus anyway ;)

Like people have said...Its only dodgy if you get off at redfern and have to walk through those streets- Ive only done it once and never again., and yeah eveleigh street is like...scary, even though you dont have to walk through it. Full of drunk abos screaming after you all the time-all those things people have said about girls being raped etc etc- i wouldnt be suprised.
Rofl. Fucking. Mao.

dora_18

HSC
Sarah168 said:
For God's sake! I don't give a damn about this UNSW v Usyd debate but one walk down Redfern confirmed your belief that the daily walk means you will be bombarded with drunken Aboriginals shrieking at you?

There is nothing dangerous about walking through Redfern. Even if you do have a fear of the reputation, you're saying that walking with literally dozens of students surrounding you is dangerous? Your exaggeration is ridiculous.

An eye rolling smilie is not enough in this case...
Not just one walk...well one walk did it for me. But other people have been abused too! lol, it's not exaggerated its true...my friends say its the worst on monday mornings and friday avos becuase they either come back from "partying" ie injecting heroin all weekend...or set off to do so. So theres mobs of them all over eveleigh street. Sure it doesnt happen every day, you MIGHT not die if you walk through there...but i dont like to take chances. lol

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dora_18 said:
Not just one walk...well one walk did it for me. But other people have been abused too! lol, it's not exaggerated its true...my friends say its the worst on monday mornings and friday avos becuase they either come back from "partying" ie injecting heroin all weekend...or set off to do so. So theres mobs of them all over eveleigh street. Sure it doesnt happen every day, you MIGHT not die if you walk through there...but i dont like to take chances. lol
You must've gone to some snobby private school in the east or something right?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
You're life must be very interesting in terms of your "I don't like to take chances" mantra if you think a daily walk through Redfern with a tonne of other uni students is "scary".

Also, I can't believe you edited your original post to include mentionings of rape :rolleyes: We need a smilie that physically rolls its eyes...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
dora_18 said:
what makes you say that?
I tend to associate those with the sheltered princesses that usually inhabit them

dora_18

HSC
oh hell..ok i'll save myself the arguement right here and now. Im spoilt and sheltered..yes went to a private school in the easter suburbs and dont have any clue about what im talking about and im sorry for not wanting to get raped by abos.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
There wasn't an argument.

I just didn't like the fact that you knew your opinion wasn't an honest representation of what the "Redfern - Usyd" walk is like but you blabbered off anyway in a thread that you know would have readers, who are making uni decisions right around now.

Conspirocy

HSC
one experiance is usually enough to make someone not want to do something again...

like, thats not a good thing, but it happens to a lot of people...

as for listening to the stories, okay everyone listens to them in bits and pieces...its up to the individual to believe it or not, but u can't take them for granted...

also there will not always be a 'group', and like who knows maybe its someone in the group hahahahaha it could be anyone

they could be the person that sits behind u every lecture

hahaha or not

dora_18

HSC
Sarah168 said:
There wasn't an argument.

I just didn't like the fact that you knew your opinion wasn't an honest representation of what the "Redfern - Usyd" walk is like but you blabbered off anyway in a thread that you know would have readers, who are making uni decisions right around now.
Excuse me, who are you to say and judge my personal experiences. Thats MY representation becuase it happened to me ok and many other people by the looks of it! i said it doesn't happen all the time but it's not like you can completely ignore the fact either. So shutup and don't tell me whats an honest representation or not, afterall i go to the uni as well.

Generator

HSC
N/A
dora_18 said:
Excuse me, who are you to say and judge my personal experiences. Thats MY representation becuase it happened to me ok and many other people by the looks of it! i said it doesn't happen all the time but it's not like you can completely ignore the fact either. So shutup and don't tell me whats an honest representation or not, afterall i go to the uni as well.
You're a first year at Cumberland and Sarah is a second year student at the main campus (and she's one who walks to and from Redfern each day). Please don't try and suggest that your experience is somewhat representative and your opinion informed, because that's clearly not the case.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Generator said:
You're a first year at Cumberland and Sarah is a second year student at the main campus (and she's one who walks to and from Redfern each day). Please don't try and suggest that your experience is somewhat representative and your opinion informed, because that's clearly not the case.
That would be to suggest reason and logic, clearly lacking in the above case. :p

It seems almost surreal to see how these people interact with 'reality.'

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Well original questions etc.

The campuses are both attractive in their own way...

USYD is rather sprawling and spread out, lots of grass and the centre of the main campus is quite beautiful with its (rumoured to be sinking) sandstone. There is also these small museum things in the buildings of the quad. Inside the quad buildings at least it is quite old fashioned with paintings of dudes with those puffy white wigs as well as squeaky stairs etc.

Most of the rest of the uni appears to look rather average (nicer than most of UTS though, lol) though some of the buildings in the biochemistry area look a tad utilitarian but eh, and there are a couple of buildings that look a bit...ermm (they look like tin sheds, don't know what they're for). There's also Manning which looks nice-ish and hosts Theatresports each week (funny when its good) which is a nice chance to see some familiar faces and they also hold parties and that there.

UNSW on the other hand just looks so *new* and clipped and fresh (except for the few buildings which are rather reminiscent of a local TAFE) and that big walkway just looks gorgeous at night when all the lights are on. I must admit though that walking those stairs everyday would be seriously daunting - alot of my friends spend heaps of effort trying to find ways around the stairs. Generally their events seem to shit all over USYD's though, especially in the few first weeks of the year.

Transport to USYD is simple - I've walked from Central to USYD in about 8 minutes (though I walk rather quickly compared to most) and its only walking along past UTS and the main stretch of shops and then through the park (with the lovely pond I might add). Which as you can imagine, means Broadway shopping centre is really close. Whereas from Redfern station is like 5 minutes walk and there is always a few students, if not more walking along. USYD also has a shuttle bus at night I think.

UNSW is about ~15 mins by bus from Central, though of course that depends on the traffic as that can seriously cause the bus to slow down to a crawl, and not to mention you sometimes have to wait a little for the bus.

USYD also seems to be somewhat more of a hub for political activity, everytime I've visited a friend there, there seems to be some sort of rally going on. I also noticed that USYD's exam period seems to extend out a bit longer than what I've experienced at MQ or UTS or seen of my friends at UNSW.

My knowledge regarding these matters is probably a tad blind sided though and I'm quite obviously not the top authority - the best people to ask would be those who've transferred from one to the other.

dora_18

HSC
Generator said:
please dont try and tell me what i do on a daily basis, you don't have a clue what i do at the main campus and what activities im involved with -thus how many times a week im at the main campus. So dont suggest that YOUR opinion accounts for much because it'd clearly not the case ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)