Uws law or maq law? (1 Viewer)

opl33z

HSC
Hey currently a UWS student going into my fourth year of my double degree
and have received an offer in the main round for MAQ, in the same double degree Applied Finance/Law

Now can someone please advise me on which institution offers a greater exposure to law, so basically which one is better.

Thanks
much appreciated.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Macquarie. Someone like Melsc is much more qualified to answer a question like this though, she transferred from UWS to MQ to do Law, methinks.

rajputsingh

HSC
I transferred from UWS to Mac and I would definitely say Mac. People are more serious about uni life in general at Mac plus it is a better campus and so on. In regards to exposure to law, Mac has a internal mooting competition which is really good! The lecturers aren't to bad eg a lot of them write the textbooks plus the law society is very active.

sean1990

HSC
what was written above is 100% correct and very important in making this decision.

I also transferred and i now drive about 30-40 minutes extra everyday, however I feel im going to a better place, MUCH better campus (I was at parra), much better uni, it is far more highly regarded than UWS.

in saying this, UWS was good for law, terrible for business. MQ is about the same for LAW and 20000 times better for business/finance.

However, law at mq i find to be better for the efforts of MULS- macquarie uni law society.

I would say transfer.

izzy88

HSC
Hey currently a UWS student going into my fourth year of my double degree
and have received an offer in the main round for MAQ, in the same double degree Applied Finance/Law

Now can someone please advise me on which institution offers a greater exposure to law, so basically which one is better.

Thanks
much appreciated.
If you are going into your fourth year does that mean you have completed one of the degree's (ie. the Applied Finance) and will be graduating from that degree? And if you aren't completing it, would you get full credit for the three years worth of uni you have done?? (or would you have to do more...) Otherwise, I think mac law is probably better, but i don't think its worth it if you have to do more uni because you aren't given full credit for what you have done...(I didn't think uni's gave so much credit for studies at prior institutions, but I may well be wrong).

HSC
N/A
im thinking of transferring as well (From UWS to macq), but i'd have to forfeit the scholarship i'd recieve ($5k a year)
what do you guys think?
I was thinking i'd transfer in my 3rd or 4th year :)

sean1990

HSC
it depends.

the longer you leave it, the more likely it is that you will not get as much credit for previous study.

For instance, I transferred after 1st year and got 7/8 units credited.

If u transfer, you basically have to try and argue your way to get credited. It is far easier in core unit subjects, such as management or marketing, as they are stepping stones to later, harder units. They would be more likely to say yes to something they can correct later such as a core unit, rather then a 3rd year fianance elective which they might teach differently.

The 5K a year is not too bad, but I mean your still paying around 9-10K for your course every year anyways, and its all in ur HECs Debt so its up to u.

myst1fy

HSC
N/A
Macquarie. Someone like Melsc is much more qualified to answer a question like this though, she transferred from UWS to MQ to do Law, methinks.
no she transferred from mq to uws >.>

edit: uws law is better

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
UWS - extremely practical, unfortunately bad rep despite good course. Multiple campus is downside too. Can do PLT there.

MACQ - very theoretical, active law society, slightly better rep.

It really depends on what you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)