V8 Supercars 2006 (2 Viewers)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I take it back! I don't love Indy anymore :(

On Friday Lowndes will face a stewards inquiry about the comments he made. Fines and championship points may be deducted. Well, if they take points off, what he said was absolutely true then!

Avesco want the championship decided at Phillip Island, and they don't want a run away winner like Lowndes leading with 3 rounds to go.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Cape ... it's not a big conspiracy, alright? What did Lowndes say, anyway?

My status as a Double-Oh has been reinstated (my licence was revoked last term to stop me using it for non-business purposes), so I can always go and get rid of Kelly. Of course, if I were found out I'd be fired. And by 'fired', I mean shot.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
How is the championship not rigged? Last year at Indy Russel was given stupid penalties, and guess what, he was the championship leader at that time. This year Lowndes is the run away leader and he gets pinged for 2 stupid things, in order for R. Kelly to catch up. Your telling me AVESCO don't want their champ decided at Bahrain instead of Phillip Island.

Anyway, he said something along the lines of the results being rigged or something, not exactly like that, but a dumbed down version of it.

Go and get Kelly for me :D
Don't worry, you won't be shot!
:D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Everyone, I'd like you all to give a minute's silence.

Because Criag Lowndes crashed out and lost his championship lead.

Worse, Kelly won.

A sad day for us all, but there's still two races today and the Bahrain and Philip Island rounds to go.

Bloody Rick Kelly.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Kelly didn't win.
That no hope Bright won. With Winterbottom second. Dangerous Rick was third. Dangerous, because apparently he cut the pit exit before the blend line and he wasn't penalised. I only saw the photo, I didn't watch the race. (AVESCO favouring Rick :eek: )

Bloody dumbass dumbrell. Dunno if it was his fault, I assume its his fault what happened in the first lap? ggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

Rick winning the championship is the worst possible outcome. Now, I just watched the second race on live timing .... hmm.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
There's still the third race to go and then 3 at Bahrain and 3 at the Island. Formula One might have the technology to predict exactly how their cars will perform at a new circuit, but the V8s don't. Bahrain is the make-or-break point in the Championship because Lowndes has won at the Island before but Kelly is also going strongly.

It's difficult to overtake ay the Plains because it's little more than a couple of drag strips linked by hairpins and given its length it is difficult to open up a lead because you hit traffic quickly, so the reshuffling will come from good pit stops. That said, assuming the grid for Race 3 is based on Race 2 finishing position, Lowndes still has to peg four or five places to get Kelly. I don't know what the points situation looks like, but all is not lost.

Let's just hope Lowndes finds some speed for Sakhir. There's some very long straights courtesy of our favourite circuit designer Hermann Tilke, but the corners are also the faster ones on the track since the V8 circuit doesn't take on the bends in the first half (at least I don't think they do). If Kelly has his Bathurst pace, it's going to be hard for Lowndes if he isn't up to speed.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yeah, theres still like 800 something points up for grabs. Rick needs one bad race, and Lowndes will be back to the top.

Race 2 was funny ... lets see who can take out the most big pond signs :p
Damn that Rick managed to get the thing out of the grill ... grr ... I wanted him to pit, and be stuck there :p

Vodafone ads have started early for 888 as well! Yay!!

And about Bahrain, as far as I know its actually shortened, not the F1 track, and Tander and Todd have already driven it. Courtney might have driven on it, since hes been overseas for the past few years.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I said it's been shortened. They take the first corner and then make a right shortly afterwards so instead of going around one 'loop' of the track, the middle straight section becomes longer so the cars bypass turns 4-9 (I think).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I couldn't find a map of the v8 track anywhere. I guess I'll just wait for two weeks. I hope that channel 10 doesn't doesn't do that shitty stuff where they took the drivers shopping.

I was seeing if the BTCC race at Bahrain because 888 are in that series too, but unforuntely they don't :(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yipes! Just as I thought Bahrain could not get any worse. What the hell, its just three straights. But I guess it could be worse, it could have a huge long straight like Fuji :p
Hopefully turn 1 can provide some good overtaking moves.

73 points behind, isn't that bad. Could have been worse. He did a great job today. But if Rick wins the championship, theres going to be hell to pay :)

ohdato

HSC
Wow how boring does that look considering all the other swirly lines they have there doing nothing.

Haha Ricks unfortunate blockage had me on the edge of my seat praying that the bonnet blow off.

Lowndes just needs to control his temper, its gotten over the top this season and it isnt like him at all. Thats the only thing that will drop him.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Once again Bahrain proves to be a boring race; once again 3/4 of the grandstand seats are empty; once again the coverage is awful ... I didn't even see the 888 cars pit stops or the toll cars stall or anything.

And once again channel 10 insist on putting that shit on before the racing. And once again Diffey needs to be shot! 3 F1 races at Bahrain, not 2 you stupid old fool (I can't wait until next year when he goes back to America); on a side note, Crompton is moving to Channel 7 with the V8s, which is a good thing.

Hope they never ever ever go back to Bahrain. Or even better, the planes forget to take the Toll cars back to Aus :p

ohdato

HSC
Hmm whats gonna happen with F1 then if Crompton is gone. He may be an annoyance at times but no body else knows the tech stuff as well.

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
:(

bill woods? hah. he does everything. he's doing rugby atm ain't he?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
No idea who will fill in Diffey and Crompton for F1 next year. Ryan Phelan is heading off to the states as well.

It looks like maybe Matthew White & Crompton to be commentating the V8s next year on 7.

Only 7 points between Rick my voice hasn't broken Kelly and Lowndes. Oh how I wish I was going to Phillip Island!

Did anyone else find Bahrain extremely boring? After the first lap, it was just a parade! There was less overtaking than what there was at Symmons Plains!

And the crowd! I could count the number of people in the grandstand with my fingers on my left hand. No more overseas events. There isn't enough interest. Tony needs to stop being a money hungry gimp. Races belong in Australian and New Zealand, not half way across the world.

Hopefully Bahrain will never be back on the calender again. Awful track, lack of overtaking, and lack of demand and crowds.

By the way, why wasn't Todd Kelly given a drive through for crossing the white blend line?
And who laughed when Rick and Courtney hit each other, I did :D

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
While there is novelty factor associated with a race in the desert, you don't actually see a hell of a lot of the sand since Hermann "the Other German Bastard" Tilke is such a fan of tarmac/concrete run-offs (he's doing another one in South Korea for 2008 or 2009 but it's half-street, half-parkland a la Albert Park). Sure they might be safer than spearing off into the kitty litter (as it's much easier to flip in the sandtraps and your brakes actually work on tarmac), but it looks like you're racing around a carpark! Also, it was a HUGE mistake to cut the first loop. Sure, it might bring the circuit length down to a much more sensible figure, but that first loop has some very interesting and technical corners. Actually, the entire circuit at Sakhit would be so much better if it were to be run in reverse.

Cape, Cochrane is simply going for the "hard sell" in running overseas events. The V8s are arguably one of the three or four best production car series in the world along with Japan's SuperGT, Germany's DTM and the American NASCAR. Sure, the latter might be taxis turning left for 500 miles on end, but the racing formula works (as do the V8s, DTM and SuperGT) for one very simple reason: the number of manufacturers is restricted. The V8s obviously only run Falcons and Commodores, but NASCAR runs Ford, Dodge and Chevrolet while SuperGT runs Toyota/Lexus, Nissan and Honda and DTM only allows Mercedes-Benz, Audi and Opel. Take a look at any other production car series - the BTCC and WTC spring to mind - and they ultimately fail because every year manufacturers come and go freely. Cochrane is simply trying to capitalise on the format, and who can blame him given that it's so successful? He's simply doing it in the wrong places; Shanghai was easily the better choice. The Asian continent would be much better for the V8s because it's so much closer to home. Sure, it would be in competition with the SuperGTs, but look at it this way: Shanghai would be on at a much more reasonable time (only the truly dedicated stayed up until one in the morning), China is far easier to access than the Middle East (especially now) and the crowd figures speak for themselves. And if not at the Grand Prix circuit, then China has another two circuits available with a thrid under construction and talk of a fourth for A1GP; a street circuit through Shanghai's Pudong New Area (actually used by DTM) and a compact Formula One-standard circuit at Zuhai which has existed since 1997 while a circuit outside Beijing is being built and A1GP is looking to race on the capital's street. Bahrain has just one circuit, though I suppose they could always go to the superbike circuit at Doha Aerodrome in Qatar or the much more user-freindly Dubai circuit.

The other reason the V8s aren't doing that well overseas is because they're cutting the circuit. Bahrain is a prime example as the track became little more than a glorified Symmonds Plains; a couple of dragstrips linked by hairpins (Craig Lowndes commented ove rhis radio that Race II would be fairly boring to watch). They did exactly the same thing in China, though it was not as dramatic; although the corner they cut out was a good one, the majority of challenging corners stayed in the circuit. The reason is obviously that Australian racing circuits are fairly short - look at Barbagallo, Malalla, Lakeside, Ipswich, the old Winton, Pukekhoe (sp?), Symmonds Plains and, to a lesser extent, Oran Park. Bathurst is easily our longest raceway and probably twice as long as its nearest ribval in terms of distance. New races are being proposed for Townsville, Perth and Sydney, so I think these should at least be about four kilometres in length (if they go ahead, Barbagallo, Ipswich and Oran Park are likely to get the chop) to get the V8 scene ready for longer races.

So if Australia is going to keep going overseas, where should they go? The answer would be Japan. They've got plenty of circuits from Suzuka and Fuji to Aida and Autopolis and Japanese cars are also popular over here. SuperGT has proven international events can work when done correctly, so how about a little quid pro quo? We have an event at one of their circuits and they race at one of ours. Or even an Australia vs. Japan event with V8s lining up next to SuperGTs (subject to a few controls to keep the racing even)?

timlay

is gonna lawyer you
HSC
no.

japanese play with them cute little toys :p

(from tokyo drift. ;))

seriously though, i think japan v australia race would be awesome. not a race between drivers, but a race between the cars.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
timlay said:
no.

japanese play with them cute little toys :p

(from tokyo drift. ;))

seriously though, i think japan v australia race would be awesome. not a race between drivers, but a race between the cars.
Yes, they've been known to run Skylines and Supras and NSXs, but these cars actually resemble their street-legal counterparts and aren't painted in a candy-coloured kaleidoscope of vomit-inducing fluorescent shades.

Also, Australia vs Japan would not only be fought on a manufacturer basis, but also between nations, between teams and there would still be the Ford-Holden/Toyota-Nissan-Honda rivalry. Both Ford and Holden would want an Australian victory, but both would want to be the marque to give the country that victory.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Good god! What are you lot on about? Australia vs Japan? Eh, I don't think so. Bringing other manufacturers into the sport, Toyota, Honda, Nissan (renault), Mitsubishi etc will only do more harm to the sport than going overseas. This was discussed in 2003, when Toyota wanted to enter (to once again, sell more road cars). Why is the V8 supercar category so successful? Partially due to the promotion on tv, but also because its a 2 car manufacturer constructor championship closely matched, where you can not predict a race winner or a round winner. Unlike various other forms of motorsport.

Why was there a need to butcher the Bahrain track? Why couldn't they race on the full length F1 track, it might have been much more entertaining? There are plenty of tracks in Australia that are run at full grand prix length (Albert Park, Indy, Phillip Island, Oran Park, Eastern Creek and possibily the Clipsal 500 race course). And the new South Korea track will be ready for 2010. But I'd prefer to see the drivers face some challenge, avoiding the walls, so if they make a mistake they pay for it, not go off the track and come back on without being disadvantaged. Thats what makes places like Indy and the Clipsal 500 so entertaining; the smallest mistake will cost you.

New Zealand is getting a new street race in Hamilton (I pressume this replaces Puke), so why can't we have a race on the North and South Island? I'd be more than happy to have 2 races in New Zealand than go overseas. Bring back Canberra 300 as well. Go back to the Australian GP, and make this a championship round. Don't demolish Oran Park, and there you go, theres a full calender for v8 supercars.

If Tony is so desperate to go overseas to fill his pockets with money; then go to a country that has Holdens and Fords. Not where they are rebranded to chevies and dodges. I don't know what country; but first telecast every SINGLE round to the country, not just Bathurst and the Aus GP.

Lastly, why the hell did you compare the Nascar series to V8 supercars, DTM and Super GT? Nascar is a bunch of rednecks who don't know how to turn right; and can not finish a race weekend without damaging atleast 3 cars (yes, I'm being sterotypical, but I don't care).

But I am never going to win with you, am I? Your 50 times more stubborn than me! For once can we agree to disagree, saves me trying to write another essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)