WARNING to all students look for tutors. Most are greeedy, too expensive. (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I cant wait until I actually open a tutoring centre and stick to graded small groups and one to one help.
Me too. When I move to my new place, I an converting my garage to a classroom Coroneos style, and I will teach them correctly from scratch (ie: No crappy triangles and rote learning the exact values).

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
^ good luck to Carrotsticks and fizzy_cyst with your aspirations, going by your dedication to these forums I'm confident you'd make excellent tutors =].

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
I have no problem with tutors making money.

What I really hate is selling notes, I don't get why they don't just upload it here or somewhere else.
they are just greedy............too greedy

michelleallstar

HSC
Of course you would say that.

You are exactly the sort of person he is talking about. Going around charging ridiculous rates. "First in selective high school". Got Scholarship. Doing Medicine. Got 99.95 ATAR.

You don't give a shit about helping anyone. It is all just a business for you. You are even worse than the people at Matrix!
It's hilarious because you don't know the rates I charge. You don't know the relationship I have with my students. The very fact that I've been tutoring 16+ hours a week for well over a year may say a thing or two about the dedication I have to their results.

I'm not sure why you're being so aggressive. This entire thread is rubbish anyway, the OPs singular argument is that tutors charge "too much". If we charge 'too much', then we wouldn't have any students.

But it's definitely very interesting posting here, gives a great insight into the thoughts of a cross-section of HSC society.
No, but I can speculate. I would definately bet $30/hr+ group.

You do charge too much you scum. It is just that you know you can get away with it because all the asian parents want their kids to get 99.95ATAR.
LOL! trollolololol

EDIT: my apologies for going off-topic, I should refrain, but this is HILARIOUS.
You sure it doesn't say something about the dedication you have to their cash?

i know a friend who gets charged $60 so i think he does charge +$30/hr per student...and i don't know why you think this post is hilarious even if someone is TROLOLOL not relevant to what Robbie had to say.
I've been tutoring 16+ hours a week for well over a year may say a thing or two about the dedication I have to their results
that tells me you have more dedication to getting students $$$ than their results. you would teach more hours if you could but can't because you have to study too.

Twinkie_Me

HSC
I give my absolute kudos to the OP for informing students about the price exploits.

Sure people have the right to pay whatever amount they want but there are some who actually have to use their own money (me) for the tutoring.

Not everybody is financially well so something like this is appreciated by me.

is a roflcopter
HSC
Entire thread is fkn stupid. OP clearly disconnected from reality and doesnt understand basic demand and supply
Working at the RBA? - i call bs, they dont hired stupid cunts

j1mmy_

HSC
Very true, my friend was "privately" tutored for 2U/3U maths for the private class rate of $50. A "private class" of 30 students. Now they've arranged another private class for him which only has 2 students. But he's paying $100 for it, being taught by a Uni student who only graduated last year (hired by the tutor centre) and it's definitely not worth it considering I only pay a quarter of that and I'm getting the same marks as him.

maths_genius

HSC
I'm sorry but this thread is ridiculous. In a normal well payed job, e.g. bar job, or supermarket an adult over 18 earns approximately $20 an hour. These people are put on for at least 4 hours shifts, and so, by the end of it, are making at LEAST $80.

Maths tutoring is expensive for the following reasons:

1. It's impossible to string more than 3 hours together of tutoring sessions - because everyone finishes school at 4ish and no one wants tutoring after 8ish, these hours are the only chance tutors get to deliver a service. ESPECIALLY if the tutor is travelling to the house of the person. This excludes weekends, however, it's hard to find students who want tutoring on their days off. Furthermore, most tutors are university students, and this limits their schedules even further.

2. Tutoring requires an indepth knowledge of the subject - you simply can't tutor if you have a shallow knowledge of the material you're teaching. Think about it, if you hire an electrician or a computer technician for the hour, you really think you're going to be paying them less than $40?

3. Tutors have to organise their own schedules and their own materials - if someone cancels, there's not much you can do. A casual, part-time or full-time job at any institution guarantees you a shift every time you need to work. Tutoring doesn't.

In sum, $35-$40 is not ridiculous, and is in fact, very reasonable given the amount of knowledge and organisation needed, and the limited hours possible. I'm not calling the OP an idiot, but he's obviously never tutored in his entire life.

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
There are plenty of good tutors around who are willing to help you for very reasonable prices. You just need to do a proper search. If you end up overpaying, well that's your fault.

HSC
Uni Grad
For someone who is an economist, what you are saying is rather sad. I can charge whatever price for my services because I know that there is sufficient demand that fits within my work capacity. If you have a problem with this, please do not take it out on others who are trying to earn some money. For a lot of full time uni students (particularly med students) it is either part time work, or tutoring.

Shadowless

HSC
For someone who is an economist, what you are saying is rather sad. I can charge whatever price for my services because I know that there is sufficient demand that fits within my work capacity. If you have a problem with this, please do not take it out on others who are trying to earn some money. For a lot of full time uni students (particularly med students) it is either part time work, or tutoring.
+1

Frostbitten

HSC
Hmmm, well yes of course people can charge whatever they want but the prices of some tutors are ridiculous, they abuse the fact that some parents will do anything for their children to get good marks and imagine a family which isn't that wealthy then they are going to struggle for an overpriced service. To me a tutor worth $50 or pushing it possibly $40 an hour needs to be a genius at teaching from an unfathomable base of knowledge. I would say Uni undergrads 30-35 dollars, that is fairly affordable and value for money deal as opposed to nearly a dollar per minute.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Hmmm, well yes of course people can charge whatever they want but the prices of some tutors are ridiculous, they abuse the fact that some parents will do anything for their children to get good marks and imagine a family which isn't that wealthy then they are going to struggle for an overpriced service. To me a tutor worth $50 or pushing it possibly $40 an hour needs to be a genius at teaching from an unfathomable base of knowledge. I would say Uni undergrads 30-35 dollars, that is fairly affordable and value for money deal as opposed to nearly a dollar per minute.
If a family doesnt think its worth it, what is stopping them finding another tutor? Its not like you *have* to keep a tutor

Frostbitten

HSC
If a family doesnt think its worth it, what is stopping them finding another tutor? Its not like you *have* to keep a tutor
Their lack of knowledge surrounding tutors and how much they should be. Don't people feel guilty overcharging I mean come on there has to be an ethical line crossing happening here...

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah you're absolutely spot on. Screw Apple, BMW, Hilton and grey goose. How dare the bastards offer a superior product backed by quality, valid credentials and widespread satisfaction at a higher price. They are simply taking advantage of the population. Morons.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah you're absolutely spot on. Screw Apple, BMW, Hilton and grey goose. How dare the bastards offer a superior product backed by quality, valid credentials and widespread satisfaction at a higher price. They are simply taking advantage of the population. Morons.
The thing is, some tutors offer that high price, for lower quality products.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)