Welcome '05rs - Whats your individual project? (1 Viewer)

Which Project Are You Doing?

• Total voters

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Welcome 2005 Drama students,

So, introduce yourselves!

Give us a run down, favourite aspect of drama, Australian topic, studies in drama and theatre topic, and most importantly, What IP have you selected.

You'll find that everyone around here is friendly (well mostly friendly) and even though there are probably so few of you here so far, start posting when you get the shot.

I'm hoping to start up a sort of IP Mentoring program, so '04rs, If you interested in being asked for advice in your areas, let me know (via MSN or PM with a spiel like mine) and I'll put you up on the list. Feel free to PM anyone on the list with enquires to any of your drama related subjects.

So: Will_Sparky (Billy): Critical Analyisis: Research, Cont. Australian, Meyerhold.

aleeOh! (Alice): Performance, Cont. Australian, Meyerhold

grk_styl (Jem): Critical Analysis: Theatre Criticism, Bush and The City, Abusrdism

Skillo (Katie): Performance, Cont. Australian, Brecht

val_dramaqueen (Val): Performance, Bush and The City, Absurdism

welshi (Caiti): Performance, Cont. Australian, Brecht

AngelSG86: Scriptwriting, Bush and The City, American Drama

Last edited:

Alaranth

I don't know. :( I need help to decide.

Performance: Pros: I get to act
Cons: It's totally day-dependant. Our teacher says, "If you wanna go on a journey, do a monolouge. If you want a good mark, don't."
Film: Pros: I like making movies. I get to make a story and play director and stuff. I've done workshops.
Cons: My camera is crap, and I can't afford a new one. There is a slight possibility I could get eqiptment off SEAR...
Set Design: Pros: I get to make a pretty model.
Cons: I know next to nothing about it. Yet.

Whadaya reckon? What's good?

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, do what you feel that you are most likely to enjoy. I don't know if everyone else will agree with me, BUT, your more likely to spend time on an IP you love then one you don't. You look like you want to act. You can rent camera equipment (I know people who have done it for EE2) and you sound like you'd really like to direct. Talk to the performance people! They can help you. Badger them :p

Best of Luck

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Yeh, it's hard to comment, coz I didn't do any of the options you're thinking of doing. Some performance people would say "don't do it!" whereas others would tell you how much they loved. I think if you plan your time right and like what billy said, if you're doing what you love, you will enjoy it and put more dedication into it. If you can act, then you'll pull off a kick arse monologue!

I've realised that way more people get nominated for OnSTAGE if they do performance rather than submitted. But then again, not everyone nominated gets in. Though they do get a mark of 30/30.

Both submitted and performance tasks are heavy work. Basically, look up the syllabus and see which one fits your dedication/capabilities/enjoyment the most.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
hi im _muse_ (rach) and im an alcoholic....

kidding!

still not sure what IP i will be doing, i might have a crack at video except i dont have a camera lol. but then again both scriptwriting and a directors folio look interesting. Still need more information on the latter though.

my favourite aspect of drama?! just EVERYTHING! drama is my life i swear. That makes me pretty weird huh.

anyway thats me done.. :D

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
My god, '05 posts already :(

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
yeh it's scary that we've finished and it's their turn now!

come on other '05ers'...what else are you all doing? Or is everyone just recovering from their holidays...it is only first/second day back :p

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
a lot of people in my class did performance who shouldn't have.

only do a submitted if ur prepared to put the work in solidly. that said, performance shouldn't be something u do in the two weeks before you get marked (or ad lib on performance night, as one guy in my class did...). drama means work, people! you don't just play space jump for nine months.

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
welshi said:
you don't just play space jump for nine months.

space jump -sigh- the one and only game thats gets me motivated.... that and the evolution game :D:D haha fun stuff.

Alaranth

We (my class) made up the best game today! Anyone know the game "Mathew, Mark, Luke and John"? How you sit in a circle and clap and you say people's numbers and if they get out, everyone moves up a place? We did that, except we used our names, and the name stayed in the position. So whoever was first had to answer to Beth, whether they were Sarah or Nick or whoever! It got so confusing, but it was great!

With the IP... maybe I should do a film for ee2, and a performance or set for drama? I probably should pick soon...

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Don't do film for both. Oh, and if you do EE2, try and offset your mw's. IE, one creative, one analytical. Don't make my mistake and do Critical Analysis and Applied Research! If your doing a film, I'd probably say go performance, just because they are so different, and your interested in both really.

V

val_dramaqueen

'05rs, i can help you with theory stuff! that's the one thing i can do and not stuff up with, lol.
I did/doing Absurdist and Bush & City Australian. oh, and performance... so gimme a message or email if ever you need it :D

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I did performance, and if you find the right monologue, and perform it exceptionally well then you'll be fine. I don't really think any of the IP choices that you are given discriminate against one another when it comes to marking, however I must admit that theoretical IPs are much more time consuming...well, only if you're a confident and proficent performer!

As for UAI, Drama is a subject that scales pretty damn crap no matter what IP choice you make. (Hence why I'm obsessed with getting over 88 then my UAI won't get a kick in the guts). It depends what you are like at your performance...

My advice is do the IP that you are GOOD at, have had practice in and you will enjoy...so it won't turn into a chore. :cool:

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I'm doing scriptwriting...but now I need to find a topic, and "The Thom Yorke Journey's" idea of mine just aint gonna work on stage.

I'm doing Australian Drama (No Sugar & Gary's House) and Absurdism...apart from No Sugar it looks like it's gonna be a good course.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Skillo said:
I did performance, and if you find the right monologue, and perform it exceptionally well then you'll be fine. I don't really think any of the IP choices that you are given discriminate against one another when it comes to marking, however I must admit that theoretical IPs are much more time consuming...well, only if you're a confident and proficent performer!

As for UAI, Drama is a subject that scales pretty damn crap no matter what IP choice you make. (Hence why I'm obsessed with getting over 88 then my UAI won't get a kick in the guts). It depends what you are like at your performance...

My advice is do the IP that you are GOOD at, have had practice in and you will enjoy...so it won't turn into a chore. :cool:
I dunno...it seemed to me like Drama scales ok...it did in 2003 anyway, I think loading was only about -0.5 or something...which is a helluva lot better than PD/H/PE or IPT, but still aint too brilliant.

I think performance is a lot of extra work and stress you put yourself in that you dont have to...I mean I have an awful time trying to remember lines, and having to do my IP and GP in the same day is gonna really, really hurt. Therefore scriptwriting is the go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)