What are you currently Reading? (3 Viewers)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Magic of Reality - Dawkins. Fuck, he's a good biologist, but such a shit human.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
haha why do you say that?

I read unweaving the rainbow. I didn't like the really dumbed down metaphors that plagued the book.
Yeah, that's chiefly why. He treats everyone else like they're a moron. The way he writes is essentially the textual equivalent of speaking really slowly and with emphasis on every word, like you would to the mentally retarded. Such an arrogant douche.

Blue Suede

a bedroom philosopher
HSC
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

Reading in the early middle english weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

kfnmpah

HSC
Yeah, that's chiefly why. He treats everyone else like they're a moron. The way he writes is essentially the textual equivalent of speaking really slowly and with emphasis on every word, like you would to the mentally retarded. Such an arrogant douche.
yeah, that really annoyed me. Especially the start where it's like 10 pages of him trying to help us fathom the minute possibility we had of even existing and how the time the earth has been around in comparison to the universe is like the tip of our fingernail compared to our arm span.

but to be fair, he's a genius and has every right to act like he's smarter than everyone else because he is.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
yeah, that really annoyed me. Especially the start where it's like 10 pages of him trying to help us fathom the minute possibility we had of even existing and how the time the earth has been around in comparison to the universe is like the tip of our fingernail compared to our arm span.

but to be fair, he's a genius and has every right to act like he's smarter than everyone else because he is.
Genius isn't really an excuse for being a douchebag though. And his fanatical faith in science annoys me. I consider myself a man of science, but Dawkins fucking worships logic and experimentation, rather than seeing them as just another means to the same end.

loapowm

Banned
HSC
Harry Potter erotic fanficition is pretty awesome to read

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Genius isn't really an excuse for being a douchebag though. And his fanatical faith in science annoys me. I consider myself a man of science, but Dawkins fucking worships logic and experimentation, rather than seeing them as just another means to the same end.
I don't think it's Dawkin's that is worshipping logic and reason, but rather, those who constantly use him and cite him. I have no real problem with the broad, aggressive, populist approach to science and religion that he takes, but the fan-boyism and minor celebrity worship that stems from that gets a bit much.

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
All I've ever read of Dawkins is the God Delusion, obviously he is not an author I have a tremendous amount of interest in but your description of him fits pretty neatly into his agenda, I suppose what I'm think though is "what do you expect." Everything I've seen/heard/read from him has basically been about providing mildly interest atheists of no extraordinary intellect with some digestible but more sophisticated than just "how can you believe in God, there's no proof.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I don't think it's Dawkin's that is worshipping logic and reason, but rather, those who constantly use him and cite him. I have no real problem with the broad, aggressive, populist approach to science and religion that he takes, but the fan-boyism and minor celebrity worship that stems from that gets a bit much.
No, it's definitely him. In the introduction to Magic of Reality he goes to great lengths to explain the scientific method and why it is vastly superior to anything else.

kfnmpah

HSC
I definitely get what you're saying. Like, people are becoming increasingly less tolerant of religious folk who try and shove their ~way of life~ down other people's throats, the same thing applies with anything whether it is science or religion, I suppose. I dunno, from what I've read of his books and seen in interviews he is a bit self-righteous, but he is just a genius and he is probably frustrated that so many people are so uninformed. But yeah, whatever, I don't know how you could live your life trying to make people see things your way. It'd get pretty frustrating and I would die an angry woman if that was me.

Everyone should read After Dark by Murakami. It's so flipping well written. He is a true wordsmith.
It's such an elegant read and I just can't put it down. I'll be done by tomorrow afternoon but I'm going to read it AGAIN YES

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Is murakami the one whp wrote iq84? A friend recommended it, but has anyone read it, and if so, was it good?

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
I will definitely have a look at it (might check the library first). Havent read good fiction in a while

kfnmpah

HSC
atm i am reading a bunch of legit really interesting studies about gender dichotomies in the education system

also Germaine Greer's book The Female Eunuch.

I don't care what anyone says, I am in love with her and I want to be her.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
atm i am reading a bunch of legit really interesting studies about gender dichotomies in the education system

also Germaine Greer's book The Female Eunuch.

I don't care what anyone says, I am in love with her and I want to be her.
Have you read any Judith Butler yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)