What do you hate about law students? (1 Viewer)

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
Suvat said:
Nope, don't know him. Probably because I'm in my final year (thank God, it'll soon be over).
/

Last edited:

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
velox said:
I have lawyer family and dentist family. Dentists win!
You have two families? I'm lost.

But yes, if I don't fail this hell on earth (aka dental school) then I can maybe relax and win.

I will need a lawyer someday coz I heard someone say "it's not if you will get sued but when".

Tabris

HSC
melsc said:
Try a 24hr, 100% weighed takehome. 12 pages, 4000+ words
Abit off topic but actually mine was abit closer to 6000 words...damn 1.5 spacing and 11 size font, 12 pages, 3 questions for that property law one...

1) was about philosophies regarding the origins and forms of property

2) case note on Bahr v Nicolay, taking into account recent knowing receipt cases

3) Problem question mainly on prirorities, easements, restrictive covenants and leases.

all close to about 1800-1900 each, in 24 hours....i dont think anyone got sleep

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
You have two families? I'm lost.

But yes, if I don't fail this hell on earth (aka dental school) then I can maybe relax and win.

I will need a lawyer someday coz I heard someone say "it's not if you will get sued but when".
Nah, youll be fine. I mean in my family (extended)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
velox said:
Nah, youll be fine. I mean in my family (extended)
You have not experienced the level of procrastination I go through. I'm procrastinating right now....:(

Anyways, I better stop procrastinating.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
i hate law students who talk like lawyers no matter where they are - be it at the cafe, in the law library, or at the law ball - these type of law students are in 'lawyer mode' all the time with such an artificial personality it just makes me wanna kick em in the ass - especially when they give you a fake 'trademark' lawyer smile and a fake politician's laugh when you say something humorous. anyway, most law students are pretty normal, these people are just a minority but if you ever do mooting you might bump into a few of these - they also tend to lose in moots from my experience.

subdued123

HSC
seconded.

the ones who always feel a need to talk law (to hide the fact they don't have personalities/lives) always do shit in life/job applications because they have no people skills.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Engineers can easily make just as much as lawyers (mining) except there is no huge competitive desire by employees and this seems to translate to the students. Lots of fun and games when you know you are all going to be employed by anyone you want (except for aero).
Engineers make quite a bit more money than lawyers, mining or not. If you are smart, but not good at or interested in maths or science, law is one of the few ways to earn a good salary.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I like law and everything but was extremely disappointed once i got to law school and found out that-

1) Barristers don't actually walk around in the court (as it is on American TV)) and get up in the witnesses face- they basically stand behind a desk.

2) When you finally get to court the classic Law and Order noise ('duh duhhh) doesn't suddenly sound.

3) I'll most likely never get to experience this during advocacy-

ROSS
Your Honor--

RANDOLPH
That'll be all, counsel.

KAFFEE
You had Markinson sign a phony transfer
order--

ROSS
Judge--

KAFFEE
You doctored the log books.

ROSS
Damnit Kaffee!!

KAFFEE
I'll ask for the forth time. You ordered--

JESSEP
You want answers?

KAFFEE
I think I'm entitled to them.

JESSEP
You want answers?!

KAFFEE
I want the truth.

JESSEP
You can't handle the truth!

And nobody moves.

JESSEP
(continuing)
Son, we live in a world that has walls.
And those walls have to be guarded by men
with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You,
Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater
responsibility than you can possibly
fathom. You weep for Santiago and you
curse the marines. You have that luxury.
You have the luxury of not knowing what I
know: That Santiago's death, while tragic,
probably saved lives. And my existence,
while grotesque and incomprehensible to
you, saves lives.

(beat)
You don't want the truth. Because deep
down, in places you don't talk about at
parties, you want me on that wall. You need me
there
(boasting)
We use words like honor, code,
loyalty...we use these words as the
backbone to a life spent defending
something. You use 'em as a punchline.
(beat)
I have neither the time nor the
inclination to explain myself to a man who
rises and sleeps under the blanket of the
very freedom I provide, then questions the
manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer
you just said thank you and went on your
way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a
weapon and stand a post. Either way, I
don't give a damn what you think you're
entitled to.

KAFFEE
(quietly)
Did you order the code red?

JESSEP
(beat)
I did the job you sent me to do.

KAFFEE
Did you order the code red?

JESSEP
(pause)
You're goddamn right I did.

(Silence. From everyone. RANDOLPH, ROSS, the M.P.'s, they're
all frozen. JO and SAM are likewise. JESSEP seems
strangely, quietly relieved. KAFFEE simply takes control of
the room now.)

KAFFEE
Please the court, I suggest the jury be
dismissed so that we can move to an
immediate Article 39a Session. The
witness has rights.

Silence.

..................................................................................................................................

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
TV always gives unrealistic expectations... did you seriously think practising medicine is a bit like House or Scrubs?

but then again, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. ;)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
TacoTerrorist said:
Engineers make quite a bit more money than lawyers, mining or not. If you are smart, but not good at or interested in maths or science, law is one of the few ways to earn a good salary.
Really? I dont see engineers getting 80k a year at firms in capital cities....

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Frigid said:
TV always gives unrealistic expectations... did you seriously think practising medicine is a bit like House or Scrubs?

but then again, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction. ;)
I'm actually surprised at how similar PBL in medicine is to the differential diagnosis done in House. I smile a bit on the inside when the tutor asks "so what's the differential?" :p

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
i was kinda of mucking around- but on a serious note what aspects from the depiction of law in television do exist in reality is probably a better question. Obviously, our main televised influences stem from the American justice system which in many ways differs from our own- i like the 'fused' profession system they have their (we have it in WA) where every law graduate, once admitted to the bar, has the right to higher audiences- plus u can just wear a suit no silks/wig (sum ppl might still like this). I realli wish that here we didnt have the barrister/solicitor split; like i know that technically a solicitor can practice advocacy however it is rare particularly in higer courts. And its my understanding that once someoen is admitted to the bar (Vic or NSW) they take an oath not to undertake any solicitor's work- ie handle contract problems, meet with clients, wills, make litigation applications etc etc

why cant u just be a lawyer and do everything?

jb2007

HSC
I've had to have a lol at all the things people have written in this thread, it has become quite nasty. But then again, what do you expect from law students, to get any where in law you have to have a certain level of competitiveness.

Just a questoin, but what are moots normally like? I'm in my first year and we had to do a moot as part of our assessment for semester one. I was under the impression that they were a little different. Do you generally get to speak and present your submissions and the Judge asks questions? etc?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
jb2007 said:
I've had to have a lol at all the things people have written in this thread, it has become quite nasty. But then again, what do you expect from law students, to get any where in law you have to have a certain level of competitiveness.
Undergraduate law generally attracts the top 5-10% of school leavers (and for UNSW/USyd, the top 1%). While it is arguable whether being in the top 5-10% of students makes one an intelligent person, it is undoubtedly true that it takes a certain level of competitiveness and tenacity.

put all the 'bad apples' into one basket, and what do you get? that's right, law school. :shy:

subdued123

HSC
@ jb 2007 - i have started a new post about mooting for you. Let's keep this thread clear of constructive comments about law school and full of venom, which is how I like it.
another to hate law students

Unis always seem to make them feel special. They get drinks, their own special buildings and hangouts. Ever heard of the science special lounge and library? No, neither have I. They get their law camp. Etc. Such a pedestal!

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
@ jb 2007 - i have started a new post about mooting for you. Let's keep this thread clear of constructive comments about law school and full of venom, which is how I like it.
another to hate law students

Unis always seem to make them feel special. They get drinks, their own special buildings and hangouts. Ever heard of the science special lounge and library? No, neither have I. They get their law camp. Etc. Such a pedestal!
Usyd will soon have a scitech library :) We had a nice chem lounge at UNSW...sorta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)