What factors led you to study at past/current university? (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I went to USyd and UNSW both for the first time on info day and liked the atmosphere and prettiness of USyd better.

Also, I didn't want to go to SpewWS.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
[I haven't started my degree yet, but I already got accepted into the university that I picked (UNSW), so I still count... right?]

Prestige was definitely one factor that I considered. Even though I also believe that prestige is rather overrated, I do acknowledge that a university's prestige can partly (however minute) end up affecting what job you end up getting in the future, so I had to consider it. I eventually chose UNSW because of its great reputation for its Commerce programs and its place on the QS World University Rankings list.

The location was also another factor. I grew up in Hong Kong (international student), so I'm awfully used to all of the conveniences of the city. Since UNSW's located in the city, I won't miss any of those conveniences, which is great. Its location also means that I won't have to put up with long travelling times or high transportation fees. As you can tell, the location was quite an important factor for me.

My age was another factor that I had to consider. Since I'll be under 18 by the time I enter university, I had to see which universities would accept international students under the age of 18. That ruled out universities like the University of Sydney.

The cost factor is another big one that I considered. When I got to this factor, I pretty much eliminated every university out of my list except for the University of Melbourne. I ended up choosing UNSW because going to UNSW for a double degree is still cheaper than going to the University of Melbourne for a single degree.

...y'know, I'd like to ramble on and on about my reasons why, but I can't remember any other reasons why, haha. So there you go - 4 reasons why I chose UNSW.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
[I haven't started my degree yet, but I already got accepted into the university that I picked (UNSW), so I still count... right?]

Prestige was definitely one factor that I considered. Even though I also believe that prestige is rather overrated, I do acknowledge that a university's prestige can partly (however minute) end up affecting what job you end up getting in the future, so I had to consider it. I eventually chose UNSW because of its great reputation for its Commerce programs and its place on the QS World University Rankings list.

The location was also another factor. I grew up in Hong Kong (international student), so I'm awfully used to all of the conveniences of the city. Since UNSW's located in the city, I won't miss any of those conveniences, which is great. Its location also means that I won't have to put up with long travelling times or high transportation fees. As you can tell, the location was quite an important factor for me.

My age was another factor that I had to consider. Since I'll be under 18 by the time I enter university, I had to see which universities would accept international students under the age of 18. That ruled out universities like the University of Sydney.

The cost factor is another big one that I considered. When I got to this factor, I pretty much eliminated every university out of my list except for the University of Melbourne. I ended up choosing UNSW because going to UNSW for a double degree is still cheaper than going to the University of Melbourne for a single degree.

...y'know, I'd like to ramble on and on about my reasons why, but I can't remember any other reasons why, haha. So there you go - 4 reasons why I chose UNSW.
Are you sure? I've met intl. students at USYD under 18.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

UNSW's not really 'close to the city'. It's a 10-15 minute bus ride into the city but at least there's a convenient bus stop that gets you to go there. No 20 minute walks to Redfern :p

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
UNSW's not really 'close to the city'. It's a 10-15 minute bus ride into the city but at least there's a convenient bus stop that gets you to go there. No 20 minute walks to Redfern :p
From my perspective, that's close to the city.

D94

HSC
N/A
Let's be a bit more realistic. Apart from the potential 10-15 minute wait at the bus stop, it still takes 15-25 minutes either way. And if you end up at Eddy Av, that's really the border of the city, so to get anywhere useful, you're still going have to travel a decent amount.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it worth the extra cost?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, if you get a MyMulti ticket you can do whatever. It's only $30 and it's great. Like... it covers the bus ride to the station, train rides to the city, bus rides to uni. And if I decide to go to the city after uni or on the weekends, I can use the same ticket. If I decide to visit another uni, I can use the same ticket...

It's great.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Are you sure? I've met intl. students at USYD under 18.
Yeah, sames.

It's actually ~10 minutes walk from Redfern to USyd. I usually do it in less time.

And it's like a ~5 minute bus to the CBD, or a ~20 minute walk.

USyd is heaps closer to the city than UNSW.

Is it worth the extra cost?
So many people get MyMultis anyway so it wouldn't be much more of a cost.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
10 minutes walk?

Hmm, my friend who goes there must be a slow walker then.

you learn something new every day

Motumoyo

HSC
It is crazy electromagnetic radiation to feel the pressure and helpers instructed my place to put a new direction, did not help their fingers, and then yapping.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
10 minutes walk?

Hmm, my friend who goes there must be a slow walker then.

you learn something new every day
Yep.

Got off the train at ~7:51 at platform 12 (I think (It's the one underground)) and got to class at 8, and I didn't rush.

yours

HSC
Yep.

Got off the train at ~7:51 at platform 12 (I think (It's the one underground)) and got to class at 8, and I didn't rush.
Except that the uni is so big u can easily spend another ten minutes getting to your class if its, say, in the quad or education building. Since you do engineering its no wonder you get to class that fast since the engineering block is the closest one to redfern trainstation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)