What happens if the person coming first internally fucks up externally? (1 Viewer)

Politic

HSC
N/A
I'm ranked first in a subject internally. Just wondering what would be the implications if I didn't come first against others in my year in the external exam?

Do I take the highest mark of my school anyway?

What happens to everyone else if I fuck up badly in the exam?

acemusic415

HSC
For your moderated mark, since you're ranked 1st - you will get the highest external mark achieved by your cohort as your moderated internal assessment mark. Whatever the mark you obtain in your actual HSC exam, you keep that as your external mark.

It depends on how your cohort goes as a whole. Since you are first, you are often expected to do well (perhaps in the case of low rank schools whose cohort may be unreliable) which may have grave consequences to your whole grade when determining their internal marks during the process of moderation.

Carl5

HSC
You keep your own external mark and also get the top external mark as your internal mark.

Politic

HSC
N/A
You keep your own external mark and also get the top external mark as your internal mark.
What if the top external mark of someone else in my school is lower than my internal mark?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
What if the top external mark of someone else in my school is lower than my internal mark?
Doesn't matter

You keep your own external mark (This becomes your internal mark) + you get the highest external mark (Doesn't matter who gets this)

yours

HSC
what 'internal mark' are you talking about? As far as the HSC is concerned, you have no 'internal mark' besides the one that is calculated from the external exams. You're confusing your 'internal mark' with the 'moderated assessment mark' - two different things.

Tsunayoshi

Full Time Mime
HSC
Doesn't matter

You keep your own external mark (This becomes your internal mark) + you get the highest external mark (Doesn't matter who gets this)
hoooold up...ok so i came second in bio by a percent..so, if i perform waaay better than the guy who came first, in the hsc...he gets my mark?

yours

HSC
hoooold up...ok so i came second in bio by a percent..so, if i perform waaay better than the guy who came first, in the hsc...he gets my mark?
yeah but you'll be close to a percent from whatever he gets (even if it is your high external mark) since they try to keep the distances between students the same. e.g. you got 95 he got 85, then you'll get internal 93/94?

juliastegner

HSC
yeah but you'll be close to a percent from whatever he gets (even if it is your high external mark) since they try to keep the distances between students the same.
okay question what if the person coming first gets 89% external and the person coming second gets 95% external , yet the internal difference is only 1 , what happens? , how does the person who came seconds internal measure up?

yours

HSC
okay question what if the person coming first gets 89% external and the person coming second gets 95% external , yet the internal difference is only 1 , what happens? , how does the person who came seconds internal measure up?
i don't think that the person who gets second gets stuck with the guy's 89% mark for their own internal, because they keep the distances, so it means that people down the chain 'feel the blow'

coralie1994

HSC
Doesnt your external mark get adjusted according to the difficulty of the hsc paper?

Chambalam

HSC
The mark that appears on your HSC = Average of (Internal Mark + External Mark)

E.G. If internal mark is 60, external if 70, you get "65" on your HSC.

External Mark:
You sit the exam, you score a mark. YOUR mark. They then 'align' this mark as some exams are harder than others. E.G. Scoring a 77 in Chemistry may align to a 91. Therefore 91 is your external mark.

Internal Mark:
If you're rank "x", you get the "x"th highest mark scored OUT OF ALL THE KIDS IN YOUR CLASS. Say you're rank 3 in chemistry. You top the exam with your aligned 91, then second highest was 88, then 86. Since 3rd highest is 86, your INTERNAL mark becomes 86.

HSC = Average = (91 + 86) / 2 = 88.5 = 89 = Band 5

jamesfirst

HSC
Doesn't matter

wtf... I dont get how this works.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The mark that appears on your HSC = Average of (Internal Mark + External Mark)

E.G. If internal mark is 60, external if 70, you get "65" on your HSC.

External Mark:
You sit the exam, you score a mark. YOUR mark. They then 'align' this mark as some exams are harder than others. E.G. Scoring a 77 in Chemistry may align to a 91. Therefore 91 is your external mark.

Internal Mark:
If you're rank "x", you get the "x"th highest mark scored OUT OF ALL THE KIDS IN YOUR CLASS. Say you're rank 3 in chemistry. You top the exam with your aligned 91, then second highest was 88, then 86. Since 3rd highest is 86, your INTERNAL mark becomes 86.

HSC = Average = (91 + 86) / 2 = 88.5 = 89 = Band 5
NO

They do NOT match up the exam marks as the moderated assessment (internal) marks except for the first and last.

After the top exam mark is allocated to the student the school ranked first as their moderated assessment mark and the lowest exam mark is given to the last ranked student there are a number of other things done to allocate internal marks.

First off they keep a series of things the same between the external exams and the internal moderated marks - the total marks, the median and the mean. They also preserve the relative gaps between students.

It isn't just a match up of exam marks as that wouldn't be fair. Say a student was ranked 2 marks behind first but the top student stuffed the exam and the 2nd ranked student actually had the highest exam mark - great for their external but... if the 2nd exam mark was 10 marks further back then 2nd would be penalised internally and that isn't fair to what would happen is the #1 would get the 2nd ranked student's exam mark as their internal mark and keep their own poorer exam mark but 2nd would keep their own exam mark and get an assessment mark about 2 marks lower as they were only 2 marks behind first according to the school.

Chambalam

HSC
NO

They do NOT match up the exam marks as the moderated assessment (internal) marks except for the first and last.

After the top exam mark is allocated to the student the school ranked first as their moderated assessment mark and the lowest exam mark is given to the last ranked student there are a number of other things done to allocate internal marks.

First off they keep a series of things the same between the external exams and the internal moderated marks - the total marks, the median and the mean. They also preserve the relative gaps between students.

It isn't just a match up of exam marks as that wouldn't be fair. Say a student was ranked 2 marks behind first but the top student stuffed the exam and the 2nd ranked student actually had the highest exam mark - great for their external but... if the 2nd exam mark was 10 marks further back then 2nd would be penalised internally and that isn't fair to what would happen is the #1 would get the 2nd ranked student's exam mark as their internal mark and keep their own poorer exam mark but 2nd would keep their own exam mark and get an assessment mark about 2 marks lower as they were only 2 marks behind first according to the school.
I also failed to highlight how aligning works, and they aligning within options/modules within each course - i was trying it simple, but thanks for clearing it up anyway :)

yours

HSC
what happens if im the only one doing that subject?
that would be fantastic because then you would purely get the mark you deserve. None of this bs 'moderating' business.

TorMental

HSC
At least its fair that they keep the relative gap between student's the same. Some of the students ranked above me ain't even good in exams, so it would be unfair if i get their shitty internal mark when i'm only marginally behind 'said' person. They did abit better then me in hand-in assessments, but failed miserably in half-yearly and trials. Yet they maintained their rank due to the weighting of the hand-ins -.-

sonispucca

HSC
Hahaha. If only I had've fucked up more exams completely (apart from ext 2 maths), then i guess my mark would have affected my entire class. This is hilarious and frightening news.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)